It’s time to talk about our forwards.

We currently have 1, French who we can rely on. Diarra is a no go, Bell gets a few rebounds and not a scoring threat. 
French is all that is left, luckily he has curbed his foul trouble situation so far. Unfortunately the guy who goes to the rim the most can’t score the easy shots. 

last year we were to have three 4* forwards, Gordon, Santos and French with Foreman having to step up 

this year we rebuilt everything except our forwards. It showed against Seton Hall and it will show against the A10

5 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

We currently have 1, French who we can rely on. Diarra is a no go, Bell gets a few rebounds and not a scoring threat. 
French is all that is left, luckily he has curbed his foul trouble situation so far. Unfortunately the guy who goes to the rim the most can’t score the easy shots. 

last year we were to have three 4* forwards, Gordon, Santos and French with Foreman having to step up 

this year we rebuilt everything except our forwards. It showed against Seton Hall and it will show against the A10

I feel like you are assuming that bigs MUST score to be reliable.  Most bigs, especially in today's basketball, are more than just scoring threats

WVBilliken likes this

Last year we had french and foreman at the peak of our play. Yeah, in a perfect world we would have retooled with two other four star big men. I think our small ball lineup combined with the contributions of jimmy bell can match what foreman was able to give us last year.

39 minutes ago, gabriel said:

Last year we had french and foreman at the peak of our play. Yeah, in a perfect world we would have retooled with two other four star big men. I think our small ball lineup combined with the contributions of jimmy bell can match what foreman was able to give us last year.

We’re also replacing Bess with a combination of Thatch/Jacobs/Perkins, which further sacrifices some size/length.

Small ball is great on offense, but it’s defense/rebounding where you get hurt. I’m not sure this team has the toughness or athleticism to be a really good small ball defensive team.

Bizziken likes this

What forwards?

Yes, it has looked especially bad the last couple of games. While his final stat lines have been ok, French has missed some shots early on and it has set a bad tone. But that is something that is just going to happen sometimes.

However, if our best lineup is a four guard lineup we need see better positioning and rebounding from the guards.  Jimerson, Thatch, Perkins, and Jacobs can’t be having 0-1 rebounds nights if we want to win the rebounding battle with that lineup.

11 minutes ago, ARon said:

What forwards?

Yes, it has looked especially bad the last couple of games. While his final stat lines have been ok, French has missed some shots early on and it has set a bad tone. But that is something that is just going to happen sometimes.

However, if our best lineup is a four guard lineup we need see better positioning and rebounding from the guards.  Jimerson, Thatch, Perkins, and Jacobs can’t be having 0-1 rebounds nights if we want to win the rebounding battle with that lineup.

What college small ball team is also a strong rebounding team?

Can Bell alley-oop with Yuri?  If not, give most of his minutes to Hargrove.  Speed kills.  Shooters & slashers & let Yuri bring order to it.  How tall is our all time shot blocker?  Rebounding is more quickness to the ball than height.  We see how often the drive & pass leads to an open 3.  It’s the best % shot in basketball if you have guys that can shoot it.  Raise the comfort level & let it fly.  Ford said on the post game that he thought Jimmmerson passed up too many.  Slamma Jamma, guided missiles, breaks, & defense.  🤔 Fun!

We have one forward -- French.  And he has to slow the fuok down when he goes to finish.  He's been rushing things -- understandable against Seton Hall, not High Point.  We got nothing out of Gordon when it counted and even less out of Santos because of his dismissal.  What the  heck are you trying to compare here?  Bess was our third forward.  So we need to see who or what can replace Foreman and Bess with.  Bell a project.  That's all he's going to be this year.  Diarra is even more of a project.  I don't advocate two projects at the sam eposition at the same time but Ford must know what he's doing, no?  Perkins is the wild card --- can he play well enough?  And hankton remains an enigma.  Another injury for KC prior to the High Point game which he could ill afford to lose the potential court development time.

And just what are you looking at for the fear of the A10?  Who has this fearful frontcourt?  At best, maybe Dayton with Toppin, Landers, Mikesell, Tshimanga and Johnson.  The rest isn't that great.  VCU has Santos-Silva.  Duquesne has Michael Hughes and Baylee the Beanpole.  Davidson has no front line but a bunch of exterior shooters, Brajokivic included.  Geedubya?  Meh.  The Joey's?  Meh.  La Salle starts four guards and has two guards first off their bench.  Rhodey is Langevine and pray for rain.  The Bonnies has an offensively-challenged Ossunniyi.  Umass is too young.  Fordham is, well, Fordham.  Mason tends to go brain dead with Wilson and Calixte.  In the A10, we can start French, Perkins, Goodwin, Collins and Jimmmmerson and be pretty fine. 

Relax.  It's early.  Belmont is a key test.  I had that marked as such in the very beinning.  So too will be Auburn, KState and BC.  Seven newcomers.  Relax.  This is what the OCC is all about.

7 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

It’s actually time to talk about our leaders. Where are they? Nobody has stepped up to replace Javon 

need to go listen to ford's postgame last night.   it started out with a long compliment to the leadership both on the floor and off goodwin is showing and exhibited last night.  

Just now, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah and I don’t necessarily agree. Also one is not enough. 

you only talked about one person to replace, javon.   why do you not think goodwin is the team leader?

3 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Yeah and I don’t necessarily agree. Also one is not enough. 

You don't agree with our head coach seeing one of the players being a leader in practice? I think something great about this team is the unselfishness and the cohesion - which is led by Goodwin and French - and easy to see on social media

On the floor, Goodwin is averaging 16, 7, 3, and 3. 

This is a weird take

1 minute ago, Littlebill said:

You don't agree with our head coach seeing one of the players being a leader in practice? I think something great about this team is the unselfishness and the cohesion - which is led by Goodwin and French - and easy to see on social media

On the floor, Goodwin is averaging 16, 7, 3, and 3. 

This is a weird take

So we’ve said on this board that Travis likes to bend the truth in the media with coach speak. How can you take this at face value but not other things. 

4 hours ago, ARon said:

What forwards?

The Clagget/H/Highmark teams were “small” and did just fine. Don’t turn the ball over and you can negate the rebounding deficit. 

Just a minor point glazed ----- when I said "when it counted" I meant in the stretch run that was an A10 title.  I should have been more clear in my meaning.  But that is what I meant.  In hindsight, those games you mention, while wins, would have meant nothing that week in Brooklyn one way or the other.  

It is time to talk about the forwards in February if the team does not hit its peak and Bell, Hankton and Perkins do not improve.

Most of us have been concerned about the forward position after the spring signing period was over and we did not sign a grad transfer big.

The thread is premature it is only 5 games.

dennis_w and billiken_roy like this

18 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

So we’ve said on this board that Travis likes to bend the truth in the media with coach speak. How can you take this at face value but not other things. 

Coach speak comes more into play when answering direct questions from the media. Rammer asked Ford about Jimmmmmerson, and Ford took a detour to start his reply to explicitly mention Goodwin's leadership. That's not mere coach speak.

20 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

Coach speak comes more into play when answering direct questions from the media. Rammer asked Ford about Jimmmmmerson, and Ford took a detour to start his reply to explicitly mention Goodwin's leadership. That's not mere coach speak.

Well to me that also speaks to Ford trying to control the narrative. Like I said if he stretches the truth or spins the truth on one thing you have to take everything with at least a little skepticism. The fact is that we laid an egg to HP and if it wasn’t for Gibson and Goodwin we lose. Just because he scored when we needed doesn’t equate leadership. You gotta help rally your guys to work harder for rebounds and be tougher. 

26 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Well to me that also speaks to Ford trying to control the narrative. Like I said if he stretches the truth or spins the truth on one thing you have to take everything with at least a little skepticism. The fact is that we laid an egg to HP and if it wasn’t for Gibson and Goodwin we lose. Just because he scored when we needed doesn’t equate leadership. You gotta help rally your guys to work harder for rebounds and be tougher. 

pretty confusing reply.    GBL defends/points out coach ford complimenting goodwin, you counter with "if it wasnt for gibson and goodwin"..........

how does goodwin "rally your guys"?     explain how the real leader should have did this "rally"?   i am learning so much about leadership here that i am sure i can personally apply.  thanks so much.

slufan13 likes this