Fan of the Game

4 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

I am happy to report that yours truly will be honored before the game as the "Fan of the Game" with game ball, cheerleaders and my one second of fame on the scoreboard.  Just thought I would share this with the Board.   Look forward to jeers and cheers from the faithful in section 102.

Go Bills!

mhg

Congratulations.   How about a little preview?   When you did you first get your season tickets?   During this time, do you have a favorite game?  favorite memory from your seat?   

I had a neighbor years ago, probably '77 who was faculty at SLU Med School.  At that time he got season tickets for the bball as part of his compensation package, I believe.  He had four daughters and rarely could get any of them to go, so I gladly tagged along.  He stopped going along the way (we were pretty bad then), I kept going.  I would buy tickets at the window whenever I went.  Strangers would walk up to me and give me their tickets with the phrase "No one should have to pay for basketball this bad".

Then along came Rich Grawer.  Interest grew in the team, we moved down to Kiel, I invested in two season tickets, and have had season tickets ever since.

Favorite game?   The home game at the old Arena vs SIU-C.  Charlie was the coach, there were so many fans in the seats SIU must have had a dozen buses. They had to take down the covers in the end zones of the upper deck.  The place was friggin' rocking.  I believe SIU was favored, we clobbered them.  When the game was over I just wanted to stand there and soak it all in. 

The NIT games at the Kiel were special, as well as any game against Pete (take a seat) Gillen from Xavier.

I sense that SLU is building slowly year by year since Ford has come. The quality of players has increased in recent years.  Grawer joked how there were times a player would make a mistake, he would immediately pull them out (as was his way), but then there was no one on the bench he wanted to put out there to replace the guy he just yanked.  The bench is now strong.

The next two years are key in recruiting where TF can't promise playing time to recruits.  He will need to sell them on the program, his program.  Jimmie Bell and others needs to work hard to improve.  TF has done it within a season as bumps in the road have developed, and he found ways to get us to be better than the experts predicted.  

Go Bills!

1 hour ago, Billikenbooster said:

I had a neighbor years ago, probably '77 who was faculty at SLU Med School.  At that time he got season tickets for the bball as part of his compensation package, I believe.  He had four daughters and rarely could get any of them to go, so I gladly tagged along.  He stopped going along the way (we were pretty bad then), I kept going.  I would buy tickets at the window whenever I went.  Strangers would walk up to me and give me their tickets with the phrase "No one should have to pay for basketball this bad".

Then along came Rich Grawer.  Interest grew in the team, we moved down to Kiel, I invested in two season tickets, and have had season tickets ever since.

Favorite game?   The home game at the old Arena vs SIU-C.  Charlie was the coach, there were so many fans in the seats SIU must have had a dozen buses. They had to take down the covers in the end zones of the upper deck.  The place was friggin' rocking.  I believe SIU was favored, we clobbered them.  When the game was over I just wanted to stand there and soak it all in. 

The NIT games at the Kiel were special, as well as any game against Pete (take a seat) Gillen from Xavier.

I sense that SLU is building slowly year by year since Ford has come. The quality of players has increased in recent years.  Grawer joked how there were times a player would make a mistake, he would immediately pull them out (as was his way), but then there was no one on the bench he wanted to put out there to replace the guy he just yanked.  The bench is now strong.

The next two years are key in recruiting where TF can't promise playing time to recruits.  He will need to sell them on the program, his program.  Jimmie Bell and others needs to work hard to improve.  TF has done it within a season as bumps in the road have developed, and he found ways to get us to be better than the experts predicted.  

Go Bills!

-thank you for the long time support

-the atmosphere at those X games was special, even with them getting us way too many times

RiseAndGrind likes this

3 hours ago, Billikenbooster said:

Go Bills!

Yes. Thank you. 
And I remember that game as well. Many good games and times along the bumpy road know as Billiken basketball