GDT: avoid a low point

wgstl

5 hours ago, jimbofive said:

Say the names of the players.  We're all adults here.

Which.  Guys.  Are pu$$ies?

Well, while I wouldn't use any disparaging terms (to "prove" adulthood!), I think the guys Coach Ford is referring to are the experienced newcomers.

(So, yeah, I'm not going to use their names, either.)

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Billikens4life said:

I think its a bit harsh to criticize Bell, especially after last night.  He really didn't have much opportunity, and when he was in the game I can't remember him getting the ball in spots to score.  Also, I was thoroughly impressed with him against Seton Hall.  He showed he can certainly hang and can make a difference if he gets his chance.

fully agree, this board initially said jimmy bell was so out of shape he couldnt play a minute, now he is criticized for not being "dominate" on the glass. not sure why he has become the favorite whipping boy five games into his freshman year, i think reasonable people will give him time to learn d-1 ball, it will take longer than five games

GBL_Bills likes this

16 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

4,624 in the Jewel tonight.  7th smallest (non-CBI) attendance at Chaifetz.

And it was probably only 3500 to start the 2nd half after the great majority of students cleared out !  I sure hope they all had important tests today that they had to study for last night.  The minority that stayed was further depleted by 1/2 way through the 2nd half.  Whoever is in charge of the SLUNATICS (or whatever they call themselves) needs to rethink when they give out the freebies.  I know the team did not perform up to expected standards, but how much does the school have to give away just to get student "fans" to come, (AND STAY) at the games?  Free shirts; pizza; $850 to campus groups; $200 (last night) to make 3 baskets; $50 gift certificates to a steak house???  How about some good old fashion school spirit?

slu72 likes this

37 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

fully agree, this board initially said jimmy bell was so out of shape he couldnt play a minute, now he is criticized for not being "dominate" on the glass. not sure why he has become the favorite whipping boy five games into his freshman year, i think reasonable people will give him time to learn d-1 ball, it will take longer than five games

Indeed. he hasn't done a lot but he hasn't fouled too much, looks involved with the game plan such as it is and he's only a freshman.

1 hour ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I know this, but it helps once you put your big ass in position. Thats my point, use your body, position yourself, and get rebounds. He's the biggest guy on the court, use your size. 6'10" 270 and played like bantamweight yesterday.

In other words, he looked like Ian Vouyoukas did the first 40 games of his career.

Billiken Rich likes this

1 hour ago, dennis_w said:

Learning D1 ball and putting your body in a spot to get a rebound are two different things. Travis said some guys lacked toughness yesterday, and he was clearly one of them. 

3star_recruit likes this

2 hours ago, Bills_06 said:

Just read Carter's report card and sounds like the Hightower move was specific to try and send as signal to Yuri because Ford wasn't happy with his defense.  

Link

I think he was trying to give Yuri a little extra rest at the eight minute timeout. 

I went thru last season's stats to see how 3 pt totals per game compared to our new shooting marvel and was reminded of the trajectory of Isabell's season. apples2oranges maybe with this being freshman vs grad tranny but I could see a similar path in Hargrove's season. hoping anyway :)

For the Height vs Rebounding Discussion. Everyone, other than Bell* and Jimmer, rebound at a good rate given their height, problem is we are just a pretty short team

Reb % greater or less than avg for height
Goodwin 6.9%
Thatch 6.1%
French 5.1%
Yuri 2.4%
Perk 2.0%
Jacobs 1.0%
Bell -1.2%
Jimmer -4.5%

Source:

https://www.pacifictakes.com/2017/1/13/14261476/pac-12-basketball-how-much-does-height-influence-rebounding

*Bell's percent would be horrible if he didn't have 5x as many Off Rebounds as Defensive haha

image.png

If I had to guess, I would bet that team rebounding is more correlated to height than individual rebounding is to height. Different teams have different methods of defensive rebounding. Jimmy Bell doesn't necessarily have to grab a bunch of rebounds himself, if he is boxing out, keeping the other team off of the glass and allowing Goodwin/Thatch to grab the rebound.

Just now, NH said:

If I had to guess, I would bet that team rebounding is more correlated to height than individual rebounding is to height. Different teams have different methods of defensive rebounding. Jimmy Bell doesn't necessarily have to grab a bunch of rebounds himself, if he is boxing out, keeping the other team off of the glass and allowing Goodwin/Thatch to grab the rebound.

Agreed for sure. Which is why Bell has worst defensive rebound rate on the team but has been strong on the offensive boards.

It would be better to see team defensive rebound rate by lineup (ie when just french is it vs when bell is in too...stuff like that)

16 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Maybe Bonner can come to a few practices like last year and give Bell some advice/tips/encouragement.

bonner is a big french fan.   he told me in New York at the conf tourney how good he thinks french is and can be.  just loves him