GDT: avoid a low point

wgstl

I think its a bit harsh to criticize Bell, especially after last night.  He really didn't have much opportunity, and when he was in the game I can't remember him getting the ball in spots to score.  Also, I was thoroughly impressed with him against Seton Hall.  He showed he can certainly hang and can make a difference if he gets his chance.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

52 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I'll add Bell to that list, he needs to use his weight inside, knock some motherfockers around.

He could be added to the list. It's time for Goodwin and French to start getting in the player's grill if they sense he is taking plays off. A lot of our players haven't realized yet the focus and effort it takes to succeed at this level. 

12 hours ago, mrjoelabs said:

We haven't played defense since game 1.  Not even in the exhibition.  I don't know whats going on but it better get figured out in 48 hours or it will be a bloodbath saturday. I love collins and jimmer connection. Goodwin is a stud...and French of course.  But this D is a mess

Ken Pom disagrees. Our defense is 87th. Our offense is 198th. Carry on though.

4 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

More insight into this claim.  Yes we are 87th in points allowed per possession but 4 of the 5 teams we've played so far are really bad offensively.

We've played the 283rd strength of schedule so far and in terms of offenses we've played against we have played the 306th hardest collection of offenses so far. 

Seton Hall is 15, Eastern Wash is 197, Valpo is 210, High Point is 341, FL Gulf Coast is 300

So our defense has been good but we've only really played one decent offense. That being said, an issue we are having is cleaning up our own boards. We're only getting about 2//3rds of rebounds on the defensive end (59 of 185). This is the lowest % of the decade and the only year that is close is the 14-15 season where no one over 6'7 was playing more than 15 min a game (Gillman/Manning both played some but not a lot)

2 hours ago, jimbofive said:

Said this to the wife about this time in the game last night.  Can obviously shoot it, but not just a 3 point bomber.  Being a good size (actual NBA 2 guard size) and playing pretty good defense in his fifth game as a freshman, I see the NBA in his future as well.

Great last name, too.  Absolutely best in class.

Reminds me of Tyler Herro

24 minutes ago, Crewsorlose said:

The defense has regressed from last season and the offense has improved according to Pomeroy.  The biggest reason the defense has regressed, IMO, is the 1-3-1 isn't effective without Foreman at the top of it.

SLU_Lax likes this

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

The defense has regressed from last season and the offense has improved according to Pomeroy.  The biggest reason the defense has regressed, IMO, is the 1-3-1 isn't effective without Foreman at the top of it.

Hargrove will be good for that, but not for a year or two.

2 hours ago, jimbofive said:

Said this to the wife about this time in the game last night.  Can obviously shoot it, but not just a 3 point bomber.  Being a good size (actual NBA 2 guard size) and playing pretty good defense in his fifth game as a freshman, I see the NBA in his future as well.

Great last name, too.  Absolutely best in class.

Hope we get all 4 years :)

2 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Get taped, pop a pain reliever and play. 
Certain players have a tendency to overuse injuries as an excuse not to play when they can. It happens a lot when there’s pressure to perform but it hurts the entire team. Plenty of players have gotten injured mid game and still played. It’s called grit

Sounds like you have personal experience feeling pressure to perform and needing to pop a pill in order to do so. Sounds credible.

Jimmy Bell is playing as much as he is not because he is adding value to the team currently, but because we are a very undersized team who needs to bring him up the learning curve as quickly as possible. In an ideal world, he would not be playing more than 5-8 minutes a night maximum. But it's crucial to our success this year (and next) that we add some length, rebounding and defense at that position. 

Whoever said Santos and Gordon leaving is really hurting the team this year was spot on.

dennis_w and billikenbill like this

9 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Certain players have a tendency to overuse injuries as an excuse not to play when they can.

Ya, im sure Hankton saw High point and freaked out about the challenge

AGB91 likes this

19 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Certain players have a tendency to overuse injuries as an excuse not to play when they can. It happens a lot when there’s pressure to perform but it hurts the entire team. Plenty of players have gotten injured mid game and still played. It’s called grit

Nothing better than a person on a message board calling out athletes (anonymously, by the way) for not having "grit"

moytoy12 likes this

34 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

you are a very bad poster. 

ACE, AGB91 and CBFan like this

25 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Sounds like you have personal experience feeling pressure to perform and needing to pop a pill in order to do so. Sounds credible.

Advil and play. It’s not rocket science. A banged knee isn’t an excuse not to play. Just saying this board should take note of the few players who play tapped “Yuri” and the ones who seem to always be injured 

35 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

1 minute ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Advil and play. It’s not rocket science. A banged knee isn’t an excuse not to play. Just saying this board should take note of the few players who play tapped “Yuri” and the ones who seem to always be injured 

I certainly am not agreeing with you. I was making a veiled erectile dysfunction joke. I'll place my trust in the doctors/trainers who have actual medical knowledge of the situation.

Last night:

Jimerson/Goodwin: 18/27 FGs 66.7%, 6/13 3pt 46.2%, 44 total points

Rest of the team: 9/27 FGs 33.3%, 1/9 3pt 11.1%, 23 total points

Rants on the season:

Has is kind of a liability on offense because he isn't good enough to make up for his abysmal FT shooting.  Ditto for JBJ, but with even worse non-FT offense.

Perkins making less than 1/3 of his shots isn't going to cut it.

26 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Last night:

Jimerson/Goodwin: 18/27 FGs 66.7%, 6/13 3pt 46.2%, 44 total points

Rest of the team: 9/27 FGs 33.3%, 1/9 3pt 11.1%, 23 total points

Rants on the season:

Has is kind of a liability on offense because he isn't good enough to make up for his abysmal FT shooting.  Ditto for JBJ, but with even worse non-FT offense.

Perkins making less than 1/3 of his shots isn't going to cut it.

JGood’s shot looked so dang pure in the first half last night. Him making shots is starting to become a trend. I’m liking it. 

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

That's true. Just different from the claim made above. Our defense has gone from great to good. Our offense from near putrid to below average. More room to improve on offense though. Kenpom takes into account the strength of opponent. Shutting down High Point doesn't get you the same credit as shutting down UNC.