GDT: avoid a low point

wgstl

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Darius Miles at the game sitting in the Hargrove section last night

I wish him, Tatum, Hughes, blues players, etc. would sit courtside, I think that would be really neat.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, jimbofive said:

Said this to the wife about this time in the game last night.  Can obviously shoot it, but not just a 3 point bomber.  Being a good size (actual NBA 2 guard size) and playing pretty good defense in his fifth game as a freshman, I see the NBA in his future as well.

Great last name, too.  Absolutely best in class.

And he can score from all three levels, not just a deep shooter. 

10 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Coach Ford is complaining about his team's toughness.  He has a couple of players in mind that he's not naming.  I think we know who he's referring to.

Say the names of the players.  We're all adults here.

Which.  Guys.  Are pu$$ies?

rgbilliken likes this

10 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Here’s the deal, you can’t execute effectively if you’re thinking 50 different things. Also, you know why we couldn’t get a break during the 17-0 run? We had no timeouts. I like TFord, I really do, but he needs to get his shiz together too.  

Also, Hightower, as awesome as he might might be as a teammate, shouldn’t ever be on the court: if you’re trying to make a statement, sub out all 5 guys ala Izzo. Ford needs to be better.

Ford used his last two timeouts during the 17-0 run. I think 24 seconds apart.

30 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Chapley from the locker room, quoting Coach.

I get what coach is saying but there aren't an abundance of athletic, long-limbed, hard-nosed players who can also shoot. You have to allow for a little bit of casual with your finesse players or they're not going to be productive. That's part of their game, lulling the opposition to sleep. You can't treat every player the same.

50 minutes ago, jimbofive said:

Say the names of the players.  We're all adults here.

Which.  Guys.  Are pu$$ies?

I'll make a stab at this Jacobs and Perkins. Unless he hits a 3 Jacobs appears to vanish into thin air. Perkins seems only wants to score .

I am sorry so I am saying this up front but I skimmed through the this thread but I don't have time to read all of it so if this has already been said I apologize.  During that 17 -0 run there were three possessions that involved Bell - 2 layup type plays and one where he got fouled on a missed layup.  He missed both layups to start with and then missed both FTs  on the third one he did not score on.  Had he scored on only 2 of those 3 that run would have looked a lot different.  Stopping a run is all about scoring during it - you don't have match points but you do have to try to stem the bleeding.  Bell's play during that sequence went a long way to allowing High Point to get back in.  Of course JG miss handling of two consecutive balls in our own end did not help but that was after the big run.

According to the boxscore turnovers led to 24 points. That has to be cleaned up. 50/50 balls are also a problem. A lot of them stand there and look like they are waiting for someone else to get it.

Goodwin, French, Jimerson, and Collins are playing well. We need the rest to step up their games. We are 4-1. Right where I expected us.

18 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I get what coach is saying but there aren't an abundance of athletic, long-limbed, hard-nosed players who can also shoot. You have to allow for a little bit of casual with your finesse players or they're not going to be productive. That's part of their game, lulling the opposition to sleep. You can't treat every player the same.

Agreed, he has a few of the players he wants for that style aka the big 3, but for many of those players, thats not really what they do. 

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

What are the chances we see Jimmmmmerson starting over Jacobs in the near future? I’m guessing as soon as Ford thinks his defense is up to snuff.

I do not think it matters much, Jacobs can start to set the tone and then Jimerson can come in either as a substitute for Jacobs or for someone else.

6 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

I'll add Bell to that list, he needs to use his wieght inside, knock some motherfockers around.

I said this last night.  He has to be more active. Now, in the Seton hall and EWU he was.  but 13 minutes, 1 board and zero points, cmon. in 3 out of his five games hes averaging 1.6 boards, 0.6 points ppg.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

What are the chances we see Jimmmmmerson starting over Jacobs in the near future? I’m guessing as soon as Ford thinks his defense is up to snuff.

I dont think we see that.  Last night we had a lot of trouble rebounding on plays that led to second chance points for them, needed thatch in for those. That one play where they air balled twice and got both Oreb that ended in a basket, mad frustrating. 

Jimmmmmerson also brings that spark off the bench. 

26 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Agreed, he has a few of the players he wants for that style aka the big 3, but for many of those players, thats not really what they do. 

Well said.  

1 minute ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Exactly...he's 6'10" 270, he should be dominating the glass when he is in there

that was an outstanding block he had tho. 

As of now, I just feel like when hes in we play with 4 players. Anyone have a +/- for JBJ?

33 minutes ago, wgstl said:

that was an outstanding block he had tho. 

As of now, I just feel like when hes in we play with 4 players. Anyone have a +/- for JBJ?

Don't have +/- but Box Plus Minus is below. Curiously, JBJ has 11 offensive rebounds to 2 defensive rebounds. Could be statistical noise with such a small sample size, but still something to keep an eye on.

image.thumb.png.116de57a66ee19cbfc90c63af9fff835.png

26 minutes ago, JohnnyJumpUp said:

Exactly...he's 6'10" 270, he should be dominating the glass when he is in there

It is going to be a process with Bell.  He has skills, but he doesn't have the conditioning and hasn't had enough court time coming up to expect too much out of him at this point.  His body weight in high school led to the conditioning issues that led to him being limited in not only the minutes he played, but really severely limited the minutes he got to play against top competition.  He has showed me flashes that lead me to believe he will be a force in the A10, but that is going to take a season or two.

6 minutes ago, brianstl said:

It is going to be a process with Bell.  He has skills, but he doesn't have the conditioning and hasn't had enough court time coming up to expect too much out of him at this point.  His body weight in high school led to the conditioning issues that led to him being limited in not only the minutes he played, but really severely limited the minutes he got to play against top competition.  He has showed me flashes that lead me to believe he will be a force in the A10, but that is going to take a season or two.

Seems bells sole purpose for now is to make sure the opposing 5 doesn't guard french.

Bizziken likes this

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

I do not expect him to play 30+ minutes or score 10+ points a game, but he needs to put that big ass in a position to get some boards.