GDT: avoid a low point

wgstl

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

He's got 7 new guys who aren't all on the same page. Maybe he should simplify things but I think the execution has been worse than the coaching. 

Here’s the deal, you can’t execute effectively if you’re thinking 50 different things. Also, you know why we couldn’t get a break during the 17-0 run? We had no timeouts. I like TFord, I really do, but he needs to get his shiz together too.  

Also, Hightower, as awesome as he might might be as a teammate, shouldn’t ever be on the court: if you’re trying to make a statement, sub out all 5 guys ala Izzo. Ford needs to be better.

41 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

THANK YOU for some sanity.  This game should've been 80+ to about 35 or 40.   They are AWFUL. 

Actually i thought the two guards were pretty darn good.   The rest of the team tho was puke.  

AGB91 likes this

2 minutes ago, wgstl said:

So they can score 40 on us? No thanks 

Lol.

I watched about 5 minutes of their game against NC Central last year when I saw this crazy score, something like 53-7, in the first half. They were literally the worst college team I've ever seen. They couldn't win many games in five on five at the Y.

1 minute ago, billikenbill said:

Lol.

I watched about 5 minutes of their game against NC Central last year when I saw this crazy score, something like 53-7, in the first half. They were literally the worst college team I've ever seen. They couldn't win many games in five on five at the Y.

Their big man went 0-5 from the line 

2 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Actually i thought the two guards were pretty darn good.   The rest of the team tho was puke.  

Yeah.  The Freshman John-Michael Wright had 19.  He had a little interest from Coach Ford but no offer.   Plus he had friends and family at the game.  Little extra motivation.

Back home from the game. We won, it was not pretty but we won. Chaifetz was about 40% full, lots of empty chairs, not one person sitting around us. The student section started chock full and with a high level of enthusiasm, but by the second half it was half empty. The kids left were enthusiastic, though. The band was undermanned, for example they had only 3 tubas (6 for the SH game). The best I can describe the game overall is by what Ford said after the game. They played in spurts, at times very good, not so at other times. He also said we were not aggressive enough.

Comparing the stats, we did better than HP across the board but not by much. The notable players in this game were Jimerson with 25 pts, 4 rebounds and 1 assist. He played 34 minutes and seemed to have found his grove as far as shooting goes with 62% FG scoring (10/16), and 50% of all 3pts. going in. We would not have won this game without him. Goodwin did very well, although he allowed to have the ball stolen from him during dribbling. Goodwin had 19  pts, 8 rebounds, 2 assists, and 2 steals. French was the third top scorer at 9 pts., 9 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 blocks. The other player that I thought did very well was Hargrove. He played very little (6 min) but scored 2 pts., 1 rebound, 2 assists, and 2 steals in that small amount of time. I think we will see a lot more of Hargrove as the season goes on. Yuri, Perkins and Bell played a nice game. Yuri being one player that is not lacking in aggressiveness. Bell is still not using his body mass at play, Perkins is on the skinny side but manages to score and be in the right place during the game. Weaver is a great ball handler and aggressive, he can also pass.

So, overall, not a great game but a game we won.

A word on Hankton and Thatch. They were both present but not wearing the uniform tonight. Apparently Thatch is sick but there are no details about this. I have no idea what is wrong with Hankton. The one thing I do know is that neither of these two appeared sick or impaired during the game.  Neither of them appeared to limp or to  favor any extremity, they did not have any visible wraps or assists and walked normally. They were out of uniform, but they were talking to  one another and other players, carrying on and smiling. They did not sick or impaired to me during the game.

If someone has additional information as to what Hankton and Thatch had that kept them from this game, this will be appreciated.

Now, onto Belmont. Let's hope we do better than we did against SH. Go Bills!

43 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Here’s the deal, you can’t execute effectively if you’re thinking 50 different things. Also, you know why we couldn’t get a break during the 17-0 run? We had no timeouts. I like TFord, I really do, but he needs to get his shiz together too.  

Also, Hightower, as awesome as he might might be as a teammate, shouldn’t ever be on the court: if you’re trying to make a statement, sub out all 5 guys ala Izzo. Ford needs to be better.

I actually agree with these statements. I was surprised to look up and see we had no TOs left. 

Just watched the game (replays on ESPN+ are really nice). I’m not as down on that game as some people seem to be, but I did have a couple concerns:

-We are an undersized, guard-dominant team. As such, we cannot afford to turn the ball over 17 times. That will kill us against better teams.

-Perkins needs to be better. If we’re going to be good in the A-10, he’s a really important piece. He was a non-factor tonight.

On the plus side, I thought Jacobs was really good defensively. Yuri is also the best passer I’ve ever seen at SLU. We have a big test on Saturday, I’m excited to see what we bring

billikenbill likes this

All I can add to the discussion about last night's game is Travis Ford looked ticked off the whole evening. He had to like what he saw from Jimerson and JGood, but I never saw him without a scowl on his face. He was probably figuring on a cakewalk warmup game for Belmont. Now he's probably worried a whole lot more about Saturday's game. 

42 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Now he's probably worried a whole lot more about Saturday's game. 

I know i am.   We will not win if we play like last night

41 minutes ago, slu72 said:

All I can add to the discussion about last night's game is Travis Ford looked ticked off the whole evening. He had to like what he saw from Jimerson and JGood, but I never saw him without a scowl on his face. He was probably figuring on a cakewalk warmup game for Belmont. Now he's probably worried a whole lot more about Saturday's game. 

You should have seen Roy Williams' face as he watched his Tar Heels struggle with Elon last night. Slow-learning youngsters can raise a coach's blood pressure 100 points.

11 hours ago, wgstl said:

I just wanna be the first to say it, jimerson will play At least a minute in the NBA

Said this to the wife about this time in the game last night.  Can obviously shoot it, but not just a 3 point bomber.  Being a good size (actual NBA 2 guard size) and playing pretty good defense in his fifth game as a freshman, I see the NBA in his future as well.

Great last name, too.  Absolutely best in class.

Old guy likes this