GDT: avoid a low point

wgstl

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

Which begs the question, why throw so much at these guys this early?

Lock in to a couple of defenses you can solidify? Limit the plays you call (Ford admitted at half he called too many different plays). Why did we have no timeouts with 5 min left against High Point? How has our FT %age gotten worse (or at best stagnated around 50%)? 

I have questions. 

That's fair.  Let's see if Coach Ford simplifies things for Saturday.  And he probably better.

moytoy12 likes this

2 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

We haven't played defense since game 1.  Not even in the exhibition.  I don't know whats going on but it better get figured out in 48 hours or it will be a bloodbath saturday. I love collins and jimmer connection. Goodwin is a stud...and French of course.  But this D is a mess

There was spurts of great defense? What are you talking about?

Just now, moytoy12 said:

Against the #300+ team in the country? You’re happy with “spurts” of great defense? I know you’re annoyed, but we should be honest about what we’re seeing. The defense has been bad. 

THANK YOU for some sanity.  This game should've been 80+ to about 35 or 40.   They are AWFUL. 

6 minutes ago, mrjoelabs said:

Spurts..Im talking about a full 40 minutes

You said we haven't played defense from game 1.... We played some good defense tonight. And I know it's been said already but if we play more high paced we are probably going to give up more open looks unfortunately. These things take time. We won. Playing down to some competition. We made runs when we needed to and got a not so stressful win. They looked better then EWU and FGCU in my opinion. And Tubby Smith is the coach. Everyone relax.

dennis_w and BilliesBy40 like this

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

You said we haven't played defense from game 1.... We played some good defense tonight. These things take time. We won. Playing down to some competition. We made runs when we needed to and got a not so stressful win. Everyone relax

The Billikens' defense this season and tonight have been less than we expect.  Coach Ford even said as much in the postgame interview.

Defense wasnt great but I’m far more concerned about the offense. All computers had us giving up right around 55 points, if offense didn’t have so many TOs they wouldn’t have touched 50. They scored 4 points quick in the 2nd because of TOS trying to bring up the ball. Also if we scored 80, and the score was 80-55 no one would be taking about the defense.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Defense wasnt great but I’m far more concerned about the offense. All computers had us giving up right around 55 points, if offense didn’t have so many TOs they wouldn’t have touched 50. They scored 4 points quick in the 2nd because of TOS trying to bring up the ball. Also if we scored 80, and the score was 80-55 no one would be taking about the defense.

Oddly, I’m way less concerned about our offense. I do wish we’d change the starting lineup and simplify the plays, but our offense can be effective enough. 

1 minute ago, moytoy12 said:

Oddly, I’m way less concerned about our offense. I do wish we’d change the starting lineup and simplify the plays, but our offense can be effective enough. 

I get that but also our offense let up too many points going the other way.  I’d have to go back through but I’d feel safe saying our offense is responsible for at least 6 points(off the top of my head), that’s 49 points. I think everyone would be satisfied with that 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

I get that but also our offense let up too many points going the other way.  I’d have to go back through but I’d feel safe saying our offense is responsible for at least 6 points(off the top of my head), that’s 49 points. I think everyone would be satisfied with that 

I say the blame rests at your feet because of the play-not-to-lose thread title you put up.

— Kidding.  Mostly.

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

I say the blame rests at your feet because of the play-not-to-lose thread title you put up.

— Kidding.  Mostly.

Ha, a part of the reason was my near 100% confidence this couldn’t be a close game 

26 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Coach Ford is complaining about his team's toughness.  He has a couple of players in mind that he's not naming.  I think we know who he's referring to.

Ford also said Goodwin had maybe his best game as a Billiken.  Without Goodwin and Jimerson, he says we lose.  He said guys aren't ready to come in the game when he calls on them. 

Said we aren't physical and we aren't tough.  He was not very happy on the Postgame. .