The Bills over HiP by 19

The Wiz

For those with a strong stomach , you can read the SHall wrap up on the SHall spread thread.....Final take....Learning and growth experience....Time to move on.

Also, for a preview on the next 2 games , check out the Belmont vs High Pt . thread.

Now on to the High Pt. game , This is an excellent game to regroup with. ....If you don't what to read this post then remember these 4 words....We got this one. ....HiP will be the worst D1 team we play this year.  Offensively, they are the worst we have played in many  years. (yes, they are truly offensive)   If you continue reading, you may wish to check out the report card for the amazingly poor stats HiP puts up.. One thing you may notice is , HiP mainly plays between the 2 arcs. They do some defense at the 3 and shoot a little (very little) from their own arc. About the only positive on the whole team is....they shoot above average on FTs.

Let's see what we are dealing with...

..............................SLU...........................HiP.............................................SLU...................................HiP

................................................OFF................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................B................................F-...4th Worst ITN.......................C-...................................D-

FG%..........................B+.............................F-.. .2nd worst ITN................... ..C+..................................C-

3Pt%..........................B+............................F+.................................................F.....................................C-

FT%...........................F-...7th worst ITN......B-.............................................................................................

Reb............................B-...............................D...................................................B-...................................D

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF rebs = opp reb

Change from last game....OFF ..all categories on Off were down except 3P% which was up......... ....DEF  .PPG & Reb were down...rest unchanged

Top 100 ITN

Stls....Goodwin ...46th

Assts...Collins....7th

Blks.....French....37th

WWN2D2W....Show up AND play

Bottom line.....The SHall game was not a waste...a learning and growth game...a game that will make us a better team as the season progresses.  This game against HiP is also not a waste.  A chance to regroup , work on our skills, bettering our defense , take some extra FTs in real game time....in other words ...a learning and growth experience.  Also an excellent prep game to prepare for a tough Belmont team....Belmont beat this team by 39 pts.. Wednesday's  game will be a blowout....the only question is by how much.

Let's get HiP....Go Bills.

High Point's most-used starters thus far include three freshmen and two sophomores.

Wow, this will be one of the very few teams we play this season that is less experienced than we are.

The Panthers shoot 71.6% from the line, almost 20 points higher than SLU.

I predict we will lose the FT%  battle, but I'll take the under on the 20.

It wasn't pretty...but going back to the key phrase of the original post in this thread....."we got this one".....we went ahead in this game at the 4 1/2 min mark and never trailed.  Yet there were some issues.   Here is what the graded slashes looked like

SLU ...A/ F- / F-

HiP...F/ C- / F-

For simplicity , ....HiP made an extra two 3s....and that's pretty much makes up the difference in the spread...Also HiP's season slash is ....F-/F-/B- . ...The slashes show our continued weaknesses....FT shooting and 3P defense....Here is another slash....Jimerson...A+ /A+/ na  ...besides showing what an outstanding game Jimerson had....it also shows,  even with his 5-10 night from 3....we still graded out at F- from the arc.

Another issue was the 17 TOs...unacceptable...it didn't burn us because HiP had 19...HiP is a bad team.....16+ TOs is losing basketball

Did I mention , we led the game for over 35 min. ?

Reb ...only 32 for the Bills...but enough to beat HiP's 28....When we rebounded ...we opened up a lead ...when we didn't... the lead shrank.

Did I mention , we won the game?

And that's the point.....There are some concerns, but we have the potential.  Even in the SHall game where we were over matched...There were times we played them even.

We will play better the next game....how do I know this....because Belmont is a better team...and we play to our competition....good and bad. .....

We will play better....however,  we need to play our best.

@The Wizwatching from my phone in North Carolina and listening to Bob and Earl it seemed that only Jimerson had passion to play this game and the rest of the team appeared to be going through the motions of the day, did you see it that way?

Another problem I see is kick outs to the open shooter from French and Bell.  Our guards are able to penetrate and find them and I hope we can start finding the shooters because our team has them.

I have seen potential with Perkins that rebound and put back in the same motion was slick and his mid range shot that he made was Bess like however he was 2-5 shooting and we really need him shoot better and take more shots.

I still like our team and I believe we are top 4 in the A10 because I see Perkins, Bell, Hargrove, Collins will improve and Weaver and Jacobs contributing.

See you at the game on Saturday

CBFan, I think there were a number of other players who played with passion last night. Goodwin, French, Collins, Weaver, Jimerson, and Hargrove played with passion. I thought Hargrove played with a lot of passion last night. I think some of them are just moving forward in a learning curve and are trying hard to progress (and doing so largely), for example Bell and Perkins. In the case of Bell I think he is still shy or tentative about using his size and strength. I hope they have Perkins in a body building program, I think he needs extra strength.