Belmont Vs High Pt...11/18/19

The Wiz

High Point, NC, is the supposed furniture capital of the US if you believe the hype.  Many of the kids my daughter hung with were down there for design degrees and eventual work in the furniture world -- design, marketing, layout, etc.  My daughter got a BS in Exercise Science, went up the road to Meredith College in Raleigh for a M.S. in Dietetics, and has her R.D. from Iowa State.  To me, nowadays, a bachelor's degree is what a high school diploma was in the 50's.  A start -- that is all. 

HPU had some "interesting" perks ---- a roaming ice cream truck.  Kiosks on either side of campus to grab a bottle of water, fresh fruit, power bar as you went to and from class.  Chik-fill-A and Subway in the student union on your meal card.  A general pool at the student center and then pools at each housing complex.  A student union with free video games ---- like an arcade at the mall --- with pinball, air hockey, skee ball, you name it.  A steak house on your meal card with one visit a month --- prez believes education included how to act in a fine dinign situation.  A putting green in the middle of one housing quad.  An entire Greek Village is now complete as well. 

Since she went there, they have started men's and women's lacrosse and I think both teams were ranked this year.  As I said, many believe football is next.

9 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

To me, nowadays, a bachelor's degree is what a high school diploma was in the 50's.  A start -- that is all.

Taj, this is the way it has always been. A college degree, even a graduate degree, is something that will get you a start somewhere, it does not go with you the full way. The impact of a highly ranked prestige school is essentially limited to giving the recent school graduate a higher prestige job opening and possibly a higher starting salary. From there on you are on your own. The school's degree may open the gates, you have to do the running. There are many kids with a variety of degrees that get frustrated because they expected the degree to continue propelling them in an upward direction, and find that is just not the case. You have to do the running yourself, a degree is just the start. It has always been that way.

Maybe one distinction between the 1950s and today is that in the 1950's you could go to work with a high school diploma and do relatively well in life. This, I believe, is not the case any longer.

19 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

So, do you think tonight's game will be the high point of our season? 😆

I’ve always said that trips to High Point, NC were the low point of my day. 

HoosierPal and RIP HUMPS like this