Belmont Vs High Pt...11/18/19

The Wiz

Normally, I don't write about an opponent until we are ready to play them....ie  we would be their next game....in this case though, both play each other tonight.. I am making an exception in this case because of an unusual twist in scheduling.  This game tonight involves are next 2 opponents.  First , it will make the forecasting easier with back to back opponents playing each other right before The Bills play them. Another  reason I wanted to check in on this game is because it is a good measuring stick  of another strange quirk.....One of the worst offenses ITN  Hi Pt will play one of the worst defenses  ITN...Bel....yet this will not be a close game because Bel has one of the top offenses ITN and HiP has a bad defense.  I have Bel by 24  over HiP...Another reason this game is relevant.is Bel grades out very close to us....They are a B+ team and we are a B team....Theoretically, whatever Bel wins by tonight , we should win  by a little less. 

Which all leads to the bigger question....can we beat Bel? The answer is yes we can beat them . Right now I have a very close game with a slight edge to Bel....but that could change over the next 3 games....Bel vs HiP....Bel vs Lipscomb....and The Bills vs HiP.   Stay tuned , I will have an answer to the Bel question on Thur.  Meanwhile, let's concentrate on whupping HiP ....Those numbers are coming tomorrow.

9 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Normally, I don't write about an opponent until we are ready to play them....ie  we would be their next game....in this case though, both play each other tonight.. I am making an exception in this case because of an unusual twist in scheduling.  This game tonight involves are next 2 opponents.  First , it will make the forecasting easier with back to back opponents playing each other right before The Bills play them. Another  reason I wanted to check in on this game is because it is a good measuring stick  of another strange quirk.....One of the worst offenses ITN  Hi Pt will play one of the worst defenses  ITN...Bel....yet this will not be a close game because Bel has one of the top offenses ITN and HiP has a bad defense.  I have Bel by 24  over HiP...Another reason this game is relevant.is Bel grades out very close to us....They are a B+ team and we are a B team....Theoretically, whatever Bel wins by tonight , we should win  by a little less. 

Which all leads to the bigger question....can we beat Bel? The answer is yes we can beat them . Right now I have a very close game with a slight edge to Bel....but that could change over the next 3 games....Bel vs HiP....Bel vs Lipscomb....and The Bills vs HiP.   Stay tuned , I will have an answer to the Bel question on Thur.  Meanwhile, let's concentrate on whupping HiP ....Those numbers are coming tomorrow.

Wiz, I thought and still think that we could have beaten SH, it just did not work that way. I am not going to play the if game here but with a better % of FG and FT 's during the SH game, SLU could have won it. Belmont will be a similar deal as SH. We need to come out defend as we do and carry our offense as we do but we need to score better (both FGs and FTs).

18 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Wiz, I thought and still think that we could have beaten SH, it just did not work that way. I am not going to play the if game here but with a better % of FG and FT 's during the SH game, SLU could have won it. Belmont will be a similar deal as SH. We need to come out defend as we do and carry our offense as we do but we need to score better (both FGs and FTs).

SHall is not similar to Bel....SH has a good offense....B/B+....Bel has an A+ off....This will be the best offense we face during the season. The reason we have a chance against Bel is they have a poor defense...D- / F.    People have complained about our Def....it is less than it was last year....but it is still way better than Bel.

The 2 questions are ...Do we have enough Def to slow Bel down some ....and....can our offense take advantage of their poor def....ie   if they give us an open shot ....will we make it?

8 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

SHall is not similar to Bel....SH has a good offense....B/B+....Bel has an A+ off....This will be the best offense we face during the season. The reason we have a chance against Bel is they have a poor defense...D- / F.    People have complained about our Def....it is less than it was last year....but it is still way better than Bel.

The 2 questions are ...Do we have enough Def to slow Bel down some ....and....can our offense take advantage of their poor def....ie   if they give us an open shot ....will we make it?

We're' about the same as Boston College defensively and Belmont dropped 100 on them. We'll have to see a defensive cohesion we haven't seen so far to win this game.

OK this may well be the case, but one item should be clear: we are not going to win many of these high power games unless our FG and FT % scoring increases. My point about SH if that even playing the way we did we could have done a lot better or even win the game with better scoring % for FGs and FTs.

It's not "an unusual twist in scheduling."  The Gotham Classic (remember, the Bills had that emblem on the court for the game against Eastern Washington) features Belmont, Boston College (the host school, I guess), Eastern Washington, High Point, and SLU.  It's basically an exempt round-robin "tournament."  So they're all playing one another.  The emblem should be back on the Chaifetz floor for High Point and Belmont.

5 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

ISU is a good defensive team and never let Belmont's offense find a rhythm. That's our best chance of beating them. We're not going to outscore them.

Hmm.  I know what you mean, but if the Bills can't outscore Belmont, then they can't win the game.  The Bills will find a way to outscore Belmont, be it with 60-something points or 80-something points.

NH likes this

56 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

It was widely covered after he got short sheeted at Memphis. Went back to his roots. 

I wasn’t surprised myself as HPU is just down the road from me. Brought it up because the color guy yesterday mentioned it and it seemed to surprise him. Plus, HPU is so low profile that Tubby being connected to it as a former player seems out of the ordinary.

My daughter went to High Point --- or as we say, the country club she went to.  High Point has a beautiful campus that is growing by leaps and bounds.  Rumor has it that the prez will buy an adjoining old mall and turn it into a football stadium and go FCS football soon. Lots down there play football …. Elon, Charlotte now, Campbell, Davidson, Garner-Webb, NC A&T, NC Central,  Western Carolina all outside the big boys of UNC, NC State, Duke, East Carolina, etc.  Tubby was a four-year player there from 1969 through 1973 -- long before the current expansion and beautification of High Point University and when it was known as High Point College. 

Tubby is from Maryland's western shore county of St. Mary's County, just south of the DC metroplex.  He had an offer to UMd but it was rescinded and he went to HPC.    He became a high school coach right out of college and has never coached at his alma mater until last year.  High Point usually hires some second or third assistant fiddle from down the benches at UNC or NC State or the other big boys.  Given the ambitious nature of the Prez there (Nido Quebein) I am not surprised he convinced Tubby to "come home."  There is no pressure.  The one-bid league is usually won lately by Radford or Winthrop and includes others like Campbell, Charleston Southern Garner-Webb, Longwood, Presbyterian, and NC Asheville.  Old members Coastal Carolina and I think VMI have bolted ala Davidson from the Southern Conference and have been replaced recently by Hampton and SC-Upstate.  High Point's roll-the-bleacher-back gym seats maybe 2500. 

The coeds there didn't look like that when I was in college ….

CBFan likes this

17 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Is anyone here surprised to find out that HPU is coached by Tubby Smith, and that Tubby is an HPU alum?

I admit I don't get out much but I never heard of the school until I saw it on our schedule. The name sounds like a night club or shopping mall.

There is indeed a market for colleges that are like country clubs with adequate academics. Lots of kids need this kind of college degree (that is what their parents want rather than maintaining their high school graduate in their basement). Taj, the change of the name to University probably means they are offering one or several grad degrees now.

Forgive me for a personal story, but believe this or not, I was recruited to attend HP by the golf coach after a somewhat decent freshman year at a juco. I had no interest in attending HPC but went over to visit as the juco I attended was the only school who had recruited me.

It was the weirdest visit as I met the golf coach, and the AD, Jerry Steele. Steele had been the head basketball coach at Guilford College in the 60s, spent two seasons on the sidelines with the ABA Carolina Cougars, then took the AD job at HP. I swear that I sat there listening to Steele for 15 to 20 minutes and did not understand a single thing he was talking about. It was like he was talking in a different language. All I could do was say yes occasionally and hope he didn’t ask me any questions.

Back then, HP was a tiny school with poor facilities. It’s amazing how that campus has changed in the past 25 years.

SLU_Lax and CBFan like this

To this day, I have no idea. Coach Steele had a thick Southern accent but it wasn’t the accent that confused me. I just didn’t know what he was talking about and never could figure it out.

6 hours ago, billikenbill said:

To this day, I have no idea. Coach Steele had a thick Southern accent but it wasn’t the accent that confused me. I just didn’t know what he was talking about and never could figure it out.

Good story thanks for sharing it made me laugh.

I looked up High Point and found it is not too far from my hotel in Apex that I am staying in this week.

I am working in Cary at the Kellogg's Cheez It factory this week.

4 hours ago, CBFan said:

Good story thanks for sharing it made me laugh.

I looked up High Point and found it is not too far from my hotel in Apex that I am staying in this week.

I am working in Cary at the Kellogg's Cheez It factory this week.

-keep cranking out those Cheez Its, the extra toasted version is excellent!

Pistol likes this