Belmont's going to be the real measuring stick

slu72

Don't want to look past High Point, because this team can't look past any team, but Belmont will be the game where we get the full measure of this team. SH is a freak show with 5 guys at or greater than 6'11". Hard to rebound against that Redwood forest and harder yet to go inside for points. I don't know exactly what Belmont offers in comparison to SH, but rather doubt it's the iron curtain that SH is. And I'm sure they don't have a Myles Powell missile you've got to try and stop, which the No 1 team in the country, MSU, found impossible to bring down. 

Belmont's ranked 73 in the Ken Pom, we're at 110, or were, so the cards aren't going to be so stacked against this young team. Belmont would likely be a top tier team in the A10, so this game could be a glimpse of how we might fare in conference play. Our big 3 need to step up. Perkins and Jimerson need to get more minutes for points. Yurimania needs to get his thumbs better and play with a little more control. This should be a really good game. Can't wait. 

28 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Don't want to look past High Point, because this team can't look past any team, but Belmont will be the game where we get the full measure of this team. SH is a freak show with 5 guys at or greater than 6'11". Hard to rebound against that Redwood forest and harder yet to go inside for points. I don't know exactly what Belmont offers in comparison to SH, but rather doubt it's the iron curtain that SH is. And I'm sure they don't have a Myles Powell missile you've got to try and stop, which the No 1 team in the country, MSU, found impossible to bring down. 

Belmont's ranked 73 in the Ken Pom, we're at 110, or were, so the cards aren't going to be so stacked against this young team. Belmont would likely be a top tier team in the A10, so this game could be a glimpse of how we might fare in conference play. Our big 3 need to step up. Perkins and Jimerson need to get more minutes for points. Yurimania needs to get his thumbs better and play with a little more control. This should be a really good game. Can't wait. 

Belmont has a shooting guard who just dropped 35 on BC, a point guard averaging 10, 8 and 5 and a skilled 6'11 center averaging 16 ppg on 61% shooting. If Belmont continues playing this way, they will be favored by almost the same margin as Seton Hall.  Winning that game would be an incredible accomplishment for our team.

53 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Belmont has a shooting guard who just dropped 35 on BC, a point guard averaging 10, 8 and 5 and a skilled 6'11 center averaging 16 ppg on 61% shooting. If Belmont continues playing this way, they will be favored by almost the same margin as Seton Hall.  Winning that game would be an incredible accomplishment for our team.

Belmont seems to be sneaky good every year. Their coach is a legend. 

I watched their game against BC. SLU will lose if it can't stop dribble penetration. We're more athletic and deeper. BC's best wing was out, and their star PG rolled and ankle and was slower on D. I liked watching Phi Slamma Jamma play a 1-3-1 in the 80s, with no 3 point line. That defense can't stop corner 3s. If SLU can't guard against dribble penetration, they'll need something like a matchup 2-3. 

That being said, SLU should win. 

On 11/18/2019 at 11:32 AM, HoosierPal said:

Coach Alexander has coached a total of 3 games at Belmont.  Did his 113-84 record at Lipscomb make him a legend?  I guess I missed the coronation. 

Lipscomb has made the NCAA’s one time in school history. Alexander was the coach. (two seasons ago) They have made the NIT twice in school history. Alexander was the coach for one of those (last year’s NIT final team led by Washington Wizard’s Garrison Mathews). He won over 30 games three times as a player at Belmont. He was an assistant under Rick Byrd for 16 years there where Byrd won over 500 games. (over 700 overall) As a Belmont assistant, he was a part of 6 of the first 8 NCAA teams Byrd ever had. He’ll do just fine at Belmont.  

8 minutes ago, courtside said:

Lipscomb has made the NCAA’s one time in school history. Alexander was the coach. (two seasons ago) They have made the NIT twice in school history. Alexander was the coach for one of those (last year’s NIT final team led by Washington Wizard’s Garrison Matthews). He won over 30 games three times as a player at Belmont. He was an assistant under Rick Byrd for 16 years there where Byrd won over 500 games there. (over 700 overall) As a Belmont assistant, he was a part of 6 of the first 8 NCAA teams Byrd ever had. He’ll do just fine at Belmont.  

Sounds like he's qualified.

At some point, claiming our team is more athletic than another becomes oxymoronic if they can beat us with dribble drives, three point shooting, and points in the paint.

We have thrown Thatch out as our best deny defender, but he is lacking three inches, twenty pounds and four years of experience that Bess had. Our second defender who rotated to cover Powell was Collins, not Goodwin.

We will be taking gut punches when we cannot shut down one aspect of this triple headed Cerberus threat.

3star_recruit likes this

All of the concerns about our defense issues are true and I hope the Seton Hall videos and practice will improve our defense.

I believe in coach Ford and our players ability to learn and improve this has happened all 3 of coach Ford's SLU basketball seasons.

Ending the week 5-1 would be a great start and will build momentum.

There will be games when we cannot stop them so we have to score. 

Better shooting with field goals and free throws makes the Seton Hall game much closer.  You cannot open the halves like we did.

We have to believe in our outside shooters so French and Bell need to find them because I believe they will hit the 3 point shot.

We lost the SH game at 29 points. They let the spread narrow because they ceased to play hard and coasted.

IF we had made threes, if we had made fts, and if we had played great defense, SH would have played hard until the end, and we still would have a double digit loss.

These what if conjectures only work well on a specific inflection point, not the arc of a game.

The four phases of team development include

*we got blown out and dominated
*at least we dominated garbage time

*we are tooth and nail with them

*we dominated

We were at low stage 2 in this game. Last year we were low Stage 4.

SH is in the rearview mirror. They're a potential Final 4 team, while we may not be tourney worthy this season. We still have a lot of work to do on playing like a well oiled machine. Right now, we're kind of like a brand new model of car that is in need of fine tuning. 

Belmont should give us a much better idea of where we stand at this point. 

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

We lost the SH game at 29 points. They let the spread narrow because they ceased to play hard and coasted.

IF we had made threes, if we had made fts, and if we had played great defense, SH would have played hard until the end, and we still would have a double digit loss.

These what if conjectures only work well on a specific inflection point, not the arc of a game.

The four phases of team development include

*we got blown out and dominated
*at least we dominated garbage time

*we are tooth and nail with them

*we dominated

We were at low stage 2 in this game. Last year we were low Stage 4.

This year's Seton Hall team is basically the same caliber of team as last year's Virginia Tech team. And we got run out of the gym in the Va Tech game as well. When you play really good teams, you're going to get exposed. My heart wanted our weaknesses to disappear for one day, my head told me we were going to get our asses kicked.

Belmont is coming off of a 73-67 win at cross town rival Lipscomb. Muszynski and Kunkel had 16 each. Point Guard Grayson Murphy had 12 points, 5 assists, and 13 rebounds. Talented Freshman KJ Johnson had 16 for Lipscomb.

Belmont will be renaming their home court for recently retired coach Rick Byrd Court, and naming a scholarship in his name. Among the many other mentioned accolades, Belmont led the country in Academic All Americans the past two decades with 17. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2019 at 4:49 PM, courtside said:

Lipscomb has made the NCAA’s one time in school history. Alexander was the coach. (two seasons ago) They have made the NIT twice in school history. Alexander was the coach for one of those (last year’s NIT final team led by Washington Wizard’s Garrison Mathews). He won over 30 games three times as a player at Belmont. He was an assistant under Rick Byrd for 16 years there where Byrd won over 500 games. (over 700 overall) As a Belmont assistant, he was a part of 6 of the first 8 NCAA teams Byrd ever had. He’ll do just fine at Belmont.  

28 points in 29 minutes last night for Washington Wizards rookie Garrison Mathews from Lipscomb, in a 123-105 win over Miami. He shot 67% from the field, 57% from three, and 92% from the FT line.