Five observations from the Seton Hall woodshed

Sheltiedave

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Did you see in the A10 article where we are at 321 for teams avg hgt, i.e. We're a short team. We're gonna need to see more of Jimerson, Weaver, Jacobs, Perkins, plus Thatch and JGood taking more 3s. Yurimania ain't there yet, but he can surely find these guys if they're open. I don't get why we're not running more off ball screens to get guys open. 

Posted it in the GDT, but it was curious that we didn't see KC earlier in the game. Maybe coach just didn't feel like KC was the right person in the various defenses we were trying to run. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Posted it in the GDT, but it was curious that we didn't see KC earlier in the game. Maybe coach just didn't feel like KC was the right person in the various defenses we were trying to run. 

I wouldnt think he would be.  this is the best front court we'll see all year along with auburn.  They would of had their way with KC. 

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I wouldnt think he would be.  this is the best front court we'll see all year along with auburn.  They would of had their way with KC. 

That's fair. Maybe he would have been more effective than Jgood or Thatch on the big white guy, but I'm splitting hairs at that point.  KC's lack of time yesterday wasn't why we lost.

8 minutes ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Our defense wasn’t that bad. It’s our offense that didn’t click against a legitimate program 

A product of good defense and a team that’s scoring on us. Hard to get out and run when you’re taking the ball out every possession. Seton Hall is a great team. A “legitimate program” is a stretch.

RUBillsFan likes this

Our defense was that bad. 29 point lead that bad. Blown out on our home court bad defense. While we don’t need to obsess about our bad defense, the first step in game analytics is recognizing we have yet to play good defense, and this game showed a defense so bad that SH stopped trying to score with close to 5 minutes left in the game. 

it was running clock bad defense.

My thoughts on the game:

Interesting that there seems to be a difference in impressions from MBMs that were at the game and those that watched it no TV.  Those that were at the game seem to be a bit more positive than those who weren't.

Everyone needs to calm down.  People were way overboard about the results of our first several games against nobodies.  Now their ready to pull the ripcord after a game against a very high level team.  This fanbase has the worst problem with perspective.

We are a team with 9-11 guys that can play at this level.  They can even be very successful at this level, but they all are flawed.  That's what you get at a mid major school in a mid major conference.  Of our anointed Top Three, none can shoot, especially at the charity stripe.  Bell can only play 15-20 a game and is still raw.  Yuri will always be size challenged and no matter how hard he works on D, it will play a factor.  Gibson isn't consistent with his shooting (yet) and, while he could be decent on D, will likely never be able to shut anyone down.  Perkins showed us the scoring touch we've been hearing about, but isn't where he needs to be defensively.  If any of these guys were a complete player, like the unbelievable talent we saw from Powell, he wouldn't be here.  We have to acknowledge that and realize that working toward becoming a Gonzaga or a Xavier or a Villenova or a Seton Hall is a long road.

Having said the above, I'm still bullish on this group.  This loss will show our guys what it takes.  I expect the guys to come out of this game with a new sense of purpose.  I hope Ford wasn't too hard on them in the locker room.  Now that they know what it takes, I think we'll be better.  We're just not going to be Seton Hall level this season.  Those that were booking their Final Four tickets should rethink.

Some on the GDT were saying that our guys weren't putting up the effort or that they were giving up in the 2nd half.  That's BS.  I was at the game and the effort was there throughout.  Seton Hall is just much better.  Don't rely on that lazy narrative when you don't know how else to explain us getting beat badly by a very good team.

Finally, the refs are always going to make calls we disagree with.  However, we can't complain about this game.  The refs took several of their bigs out of the game with foul trouble, many of the calls were questionable.  They just kept sending in new 7 footers.  That's the advantage you get when you have as many as they did.

-going into yesterday....where the attendance was 9,611

Single-Game Attendance Records

1. 10,639 vs. VCU 2/15/14

2. 10,623 vs. George Washington 2/22/14

3. 10,612 vs. Butler 1/31/13

4. 10,603 vs. Dayton 2/21/09

5. 10,441 vs. Xavier 2/28/12

6. 10,414 vs. Dayton 2/4/12

7. 10,395 vs. Dayton 3/5/14

8. 10,272 vs. La Salle 3/9/13

9. 10,245 vs. Duquesne 2/27/14

10. 10,052 vs. Charlotte 2/16/13

11. 10,027 vs. VCU 2/19/13

12. 10,015 vs. Southern Illinois 11/15/14

13. 10,012 vs. Saint Joseph’s 2/27/13

14. 10,008 vs. Xavier 2/24/10

15. 9,746 vs. La Salle 3/7/09

16. 9,690 vs. George Washington 1/17/09

17. 9,643 vs. VCU 1/23/15

18. 9,572 vs. Butler 12/1/18

19. 9,548 vs. Dayton 2/2/13

20. 9,483 vs. Southern Illinois 12/5/09

TheChosenOne likes this

What does Gibson Jimmmmerson have to do to keep people from saying things like, "He isn't consistent with his shooting (yet)"?  He's 7 of 16 for 43.8% from 3 this season, in four games.  Yeah, he had one game in which he didn't hit any of his 3-point attempts (0 for 1): shame!  Does he have to hit them all?!  No, even after just four games, he's shown that he's a reliable perimeter scorer, and his best is yet to come.

1 minute ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

What does Gibson Jimmmmerson have to do to keep people from saying things like, "He isn't consistent with his shooting (yet)"?  He's 7 of 16 for 43.8% from 3 this season, in four games.  Yeah, he had one game in which he didn't hit any of his 3-point attempts (0 for 1): shame!  Does he have to hit them all?!  No, even after just four games, he's shown that he's a reliable perimeter scorer, and his best is yet to come.

Because people are looking at individual games and not his overall body of work. They saw his last game and are freaking out 

5 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Because people are looking at individual games and not his overall body of work. They saw his last game and are freaking out 

I don't see any sanity about "freaking out" over one 0/1 game.  Eastern Washington had obviously built their game plan around denying him open looks.  Even if teams do that, it benefits the Bills, because then the rest of the team can shred opponents inside.

22 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

So it looks like yesterday's attendance was the 18th best in Chaifetz history,  highest since January 2015 vs VCU, and 2nd highest non-conference game ever at Chaifetz (behind Nov 2014 vs SIU).  Not bad.

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I think people saw some open looks early in the game that he missed and likely think he should draining those pressure packed shots.  His shot is pure, a couple of crucial early ones didn’t fall. 

Crewsorlose and Bills_06 like this

13 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Yet, AJ is troubled the kid has been used in some of the team's marketing. I wonder why?🧐

29 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Single-Game Attendance Records

1. 10,639 vs. VCU 2/15/14

2. 10,623 vs. George Washington 2/22/14

3. 10,612 vs. Butler 1/31/13

4. 10,603 vs. Dayton 2/21/09

5. 10,441 vs. Xavier 2/28/12

6. 10,414 vs. Dayton 2/4/12

7. 10,395 vs. Dayton 3/5/14

8. 10,272 vs. La Salle 3/9/13

9. 10,245 vs. Duquesne 2/27/14

10. 10,052 vs. Charlotte 2/16/13

11. 10,027 vs. VCU 2/19/13

12. 10,015 vs. Southern Illinois 11/15/14

13. 10,012 vs. Saint Joseph’s 2/27/13

14. 10,008 vs. Xavier 2/24/10

15. 9,746 vs. La Salle 3/7/09

16. 9,690 vs. George Washington 1/17/09

17. 9,643 vs. VCU 1/23/15

18. 9,572 vs. Butler 12/1/18

19. 9,548 vs. Dayton 2/2/13

20. 9,483 vs. Southern Illinois 12/5/09

I know the ladies had a Pink out game vs Dayton a few years ago that was over 10k I believe. 

2 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

My thoughts on the game:Gibson isn't consistent with his shooting (yet) .

7-16 in 4 games. if he played 32 games a year with those totals he'd have 224 3's for his career. That would be 6 behind Highmark who's third in career total list. His .437% from the arc would place him second on career list. elaborate on this consistency of which you speak?