Five observations from the Seton Hall woodshed

Sheltiedave

6 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

In a game where Perkins was our leading scorer in the first half before Seton Hall put on the afterburners and put us away, this is a strange observation.  If anything, this game demonstrated Perkins is one of our best players at creating his own offense.

I agree with this. I liked Perkins yesterday 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, billiken_roy said:

goodwin is now shooting 50% from the floor (and has shot the most shots on the team) 44% from 3 point land (only 3 players have shot more 3's than jordan and none of them have a higher 3 point percentage) and his free throw percentage is at 64% which is 4th best on the team.   maybe jordan soon can be taken out of the "cant shoot" group.  

Id like to see Jordan shoot more 3's. its early so theres time for change, but hes on pace to shoot 24 less attempts than last year. if his shooting is in fact much improved, i'd hope he doesnt shy away from shooting. 

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

i thought he was our best player the first half.     

1 minute ago, RiseAndGrind said:

that dunk he had in traffic when it looked like he was just going to lay it up, wow. Smooth. 

JUCO players are a crap shoot.  Most people assume they will play better off the bat because they've played at a semi high level prior, but they like frosh normally take some time to get going. 

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

goodwin is now shooting 50% from the floor (and has shot the most shots on the team) 44% from 3 point land (only 3 players have shot more 3's than jordan and none of them have a higher 3 point percentage) and his free throw percentage is at 64% which is 4th best on the team.   maybe jordan soon can be taken out of the "cant shoot" group.  

Goodwin has been terrific early on. If he's still shooting over 30% from 3 halfway through the season (16 games), I will definitely take him off the can't shoot list.

4 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Id like to see Jordan shoot more 3's. its early so theres time for change, but hes on pace to shoot 24 less attempts than last year. if his shooting is in fact much improved, i'd hope he doesnt shy away from shooting. 

part of his improvement though is likely making better decisions (for the most part, that floater over the backboard yesterday was an eye roll) on what he can or cannot do.   

btw, last night fellow MBM, NH, mentioned a couple of posts about the advantage of the seton hall length.   no doubt finding the trees under the basket was truly instrumental in our beat down.  their ability to control the lane on both ends was likely a bigger factor than even all american powell and that doesnt show up to the degree it mattered in the box score.  we need to get some 7 footers with agility.  

3 minutes ago, wgstl said:

He seems to be letting the 3 point shot come to him this year and not forcing it as much.

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

He seems to be letting the 3 point shot come to him this year and not forcing it as much.

absolutely.  far more conservative with the shot taking from long distance.  Not a bad call, as a bad shot can almost feel like a TO, but It'll take a while to find out if hes much improved or not if hes taking just 1-2 attempts per game.

we're a few great 3 point shooting and bad FT shooting games away from the 3%/FT% being identical. 

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

The attendance of 9,611 was the 18th largest crowd at Chaifetz.  I was somewhat disappointed in that number, as the 'internet information' lead me to believe that there were less than 800 tickets available on Friday. This was about 50 attendee's larger than last years crowd against Butler.  We have sold the Jewel out (10,600+) only four times.

I was curious how many games had sold out, do you know what games those were? I was talking to some folks on Saturday and we knew games had sold out, but had no clue how many and what games they would have been (obviously had some educated guesses on which games would have been or were damn close).

Jimerson has made the most 3's on the team and is shooting 44% from 3 in 20 mpg and I honestly think people are disappointed in him. We finally get a sharpshooter at SLU and people's expectations have gone through the roof. He may be one of those people like Goodwin who will be all over the record books, but people still think he was a disappointment for some reason.

jimbofive and majerus mojo like this

Regarding FT shooting, French is a mess, but Goodwin looks much better, Jacobs, Perkins, and Jimmerson can clearly stroke it, and I'd be shocked if Collins ended the season at less than 70%. 

Again, the problem is French. He's missed 17 FT this season. Let's say that's 20 points left on the board over 4 games. If he makes 12 more, that's 3 ppg, and he's average 18 ppg instead of 15. 

45 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

I thought Perkins was one of our better players on the court in the first half. Although he missed some shots, I thought he was a positive on both ends of the court. He was very calm and didn't seem overwhelmed by the environment. 

I concur Perkins' sequence midway through the first half was one of the positives to take away from this game. At a time when the Bills were struggling to get anything done inside the arc, Perkins fearlessly weaved through the taller defenders and got to the rim. That's a skill that this team will need.

Zink and Littlebill like this

I guess it could have been worst. We could have lost at home to Evansville.

I loved going right after their big men down low however it seemed there were 7-10 drives to the basket that, at best, provided a very low percentage scoring chance. Free throws an issue as always and our defense left a lot to be desired. 

Three positives were Bell banging with the big boys, taking down rebounds and drawing fouls,  Jimmerson shooting 50% from 3, Perkins attacking the glass and looking confident.

They've got Wednesday to get back on track because Belmont is going to be a tough game.

we had the right game plan for the most part.  we just couldn't capitalize on the FT's, nothing new.  If we were one of those teams who shoots 80% from the line, this was a 6 point game.  

11 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I guess it could have been worst. We could have lost at home to Evansville.

I loved going right after their big men down low however it seemed there were 7-10 drives to the basket that, at best, provided a very low percentage scoring chance. Free throws an issue as always and our defense left a lot to be desired. 

Three positives were Bell banging with the big boys, taking down rebounds and drawing fouls,  Jimmerson shooting 50% from 3, Perkins attacking the glass and looking confident.

They've got Wednesday to get back on track because Belmont is going to be a tough game.

i agree with your assessment. I loved the aggressiveness, usually going to the line 41 times is a sure win....

Perkins stat line.

22 minutes 2-8 FG, 0-1 3pt 3-5 FT 5 rebounds that is good, 0 assists blocks or turnovers, 0 turnovers is good for a grand total of 7 points.

My point was that Perkins needs to score more and the stat line backs that up.

Perkins needs to score 12 points a game and I think he has the ability to do so.

French shooting FTs is like an artillery ranging exercise. The first shot hits the front rim and does not go in (short), the second shot hits the back rim bounces way up and out (long). The third shot should hit the target but there is no third shot. He does hit the target with the second shot with some regularity. I think he is afraid of shooting too hard at the time of the first shot.

Just now, Old guy said:

French shooting FTs is like an artillery ranging exercise. The first shot hits the front rim and does not go in (short), the second shot hits the back rim bounces way up and out (long). The third shot should hit the target but there is no third shot. He does hit the target with the second shot with some regularity. I think he is afraid of shooting too hard at the time of the first shot.

I know where you are going with this and it's genius. We need French shooting 3s. Draw a foul and hit 1 free throw. 

wgstl likes this

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

Jimerson has made the most 3's on the team and is shooting 44% from 3 in 20 mpg and I honestly think people are disappointed in him. We finally get a sharpshooter at SLU and people's expectations have gone through the roof. He may be one of those people like Goodwin who will be all over the record books, but people still think he was a disappointment for some reason.

+ he's only played 4 games in what should be a great 4 year career. He's done what I hoped which is a pleasant surprise.

45 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Perkins stat line.

22 minutes 2-8 FG, 0-1 3pt 3-5 FT 5 rebounds that is good, 0 assists blocks or turnovers, 0 turnovers is good for a grand total of 7 points.

My point was that Perkins needs to score more and the stat line backs that up.

Perkins needs to score 12 points a game and I think he has the ability to do so.

Reading through the Perkins comments I was about to post his stat line.  I too thought he looked good during the game and was pretty surprised to see that he shot just 2 of 8 from the floor.  He had a few memorable plays during out little 1st half run and I guess those stuck with me (and others) whereas the misses didn't.  However, I agree with you overall that I'd like to see him score more and do it more efficiently.  It certainly looks like something he is capable of.

My other comment is that Thatch's stat line was even worse than Perkins.  19 minutes 0-6 FG, 0-3 3pt, 1-2 FT, 3 rebs, 1 TO, 0 assists, blocks, or steals.  I'm just a MBM, but I thought something looked off with his lower half at points during the game and I wonder if there is an slight injury he is dealing with or the mysterious "cramps" were an issue again.  I also expected him to be on Powell more than he was (although the 1-3-1 and box-1 Ds that we played a lot limited his opportunities).

Did you see in the A10 article where we are at 321 for teams avg hgt, i.e. We're a short team. We're gonna need to see more of Jimerson, Weaver, Jacobs, Perkins, plus Thatch and JGood taking more 3s. Yurimania ain't there yet, but he can surely find these guys if they're open. I don't get why we're not running more off ball screens to get guys open.