GDT: Take Down The Pirates

SLU_Nick

14 hours ago, slu72 said:

I was not comparing Jimerson to Powell. But he got open looks when a 3 would have mattered. He didn't hit them. That's why Ford had him in the game: do what u do in practice, hit some damn 3's! 

Complaining about a freshman "only" going 3-6 from 3, vs. this team, or any team, is insane. The old Cassity/Barnett/Crawford trio would have gone 1-12. Jimerson is a stud 

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, majerus mojo said:

Complaining about a freshman "only" going 3-6 from 3, vs. this team, or any team, is insane. The old Cassity/Barnett/Crawford trio would have gone 1-12. Jimerson is a stud 

Mea Culpa I over reacted. Probably because a couple of his misses came at points where we could have got their lead into single digits. I figured if we get them into single digits and held them there than the last 5 minutes could have been interesting. Sadly, we couldn't do it. Like 

2 minutes ago, almaman said:

the elephant on the court that we are all kind of ignoring was the 10-0 start. hard hole to dig out of and forced TF to adjust with anything to right the ship.

yep, I kept echoing that all game. 

19 hours ago, Taj79 said:

What a bull**** call on French

Didn't get to watch the game, watching the replay now, and that call on French was THE WORST CALL I HAVE EVER SEEN. 😡

The phantom push off on JG was a terrible call, and the non-call on Yuri that led to the turnover was a joke. The Bills had it to 26-18, stopped the Hall 4 straight times but could get only one point. That was killer along with the bad calls occurring at the same time.

So far, very impressed with the crowd. Screwed by the refs. The Big Locomotive showed out, I think he's going to be a dominant big man by his Jr. year, if not before. The 1-3-1 was effective but maybe we stayed in it too long. Had the refs allowed Has' to play, we would've stayed in it because the Hall's bigs would've been on the bench longer in foul trouble. Powell can shoot the rock, 'nuf said about that.

40 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Didn't get to watch the game, watching the replay now, and that call on French was THE WORST CALL I HAVE EVER SEEN. 😡

The phantom push off on JG was a terrible call, and the non-call on Yuri that led to the turnover was a joke. The Bills had it to 26-18, stopped the Hall 4 straight times but could get only one point. That was killer along with the bad calls occurring at the same time.

Agreed.  Also, i think the first foul against French might have been even worse.  French grabbed the o-board, but got whistled. Looking at the replay, the SHU pushed off on Has first before Has attacked the rim.  No call. Then Has barely touched the guy going for the offensive board and got the call against him. A made bucket on that possession gets us to within 5-6.

During the stretch above, we had multiple open 3 point looks from good shooters (GJ and DJ) that just didn't drop and would have brought the score within 5 each time.

6 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Agreed.  Also, i think the first foul against French might have been even worse.  French grabbed the o-board, but got whistled. Looking at the replay, the SHU pushed off on Has first before Has attacked the rim.  No call. Then Has barely touched the guy going for the offensive board and got the call against him. A made bucket on that possession gets us to within 5-6.

During the stretch above, we had multiple open 3 point looks from good shooters (GJ and DJ) that just didn't drop and would have brought the score within 5 each time.

-and our response (on the floor and sidelines) to what you mention was not up to snuff

Final thoughts, Has' was awesome in the second half. 12 pts. on 4-5 shooting, 6 boards, and 4 blocks. 4-10 from the stripe ☹️, seems like his form is good enough to at least be in the mid-60s. C'mon Has', get it together from the line. I thought we did what we do pretty well, the problems were the roadblocks in the middle with all their height, awful first half officiating, and poor FT shooting. There was just no room in the paint for Jordan or Fred to finish, and they couldn't make up for it from the arc. I see now why Travis was so high on the Big Locomotive in the summer and fall workouts. It's a work in progress, but I have no doubt he's going to be a force before too long.

The Belmont and BC games will tell us a lot. Both very winnable, especially if we can get the FT percentage into the mid to high 60s.

3 hours ago, billikenbill said:

I think it was at that point French clunked 2 FTs that could have cut it to a 6 pt game. Hall then scored to put them back into a double digit lead. Missed FTs can be a momentum killer. I think the crowd would have gone nutso if we'd made 'em. 

Our starting lineup frustrates me because we have 3ish non-shooters (Bell, French, Thatch) with Goodwin handling the ball. It's hard to see where the spacing comes from in that situation. Lane will be clogged with two bigs and a wing can help off Thatch until he starts hitting 3s consistently. 

Against normal sized teams, I would be interested in seeing a lineup of 4 shooters paired w/French. French/GJ/DJ/JG/YC would be fun to watch. I think we have 6-ish legitimate threats from 3 on the roster (Goodwin,Jacobs,Jimerson,Weaver and I think Yuri and Perk). It would seem we would want no less than 3 of those guys on the floor at a time...though defense is obviously the concern here. I'm a believer that Goodwin could guard bigger players for short periods of time.

That being said, I think every freshman has impressed and arguably exceed most moderate expectations so I probably shouldn't read much into being 3-1 at this point. That would've been considered perfectly fine at the beginning of the season and there's been more positives than negatives with this team so far.

-I believe the ref that thought we were there to see him is Mike Stephens, a couple of years ago in poll of coaches by CBSSports he was T4 for the best ref in the game and his conference affiliation is listed as BEast, I hope we never see him again

Okay I have to ask because I have seen this in multiple places but why are we writing Thatch off as a bad shooter?  He is only a few games into his sophomore year.  Based on the below post, he shot pretty decent in high school.  Ford said Thatch was the best 3-point shooter over the summer and that was a summer with ShotTracker installed so it is something he would have easily been able to say factually.  I am not saying Thatch is going to be what we expect Jimerson to be for us but I just don't get why we are writing him off as a bad shooter when I think he has a chance to be fine.  

Playing devil's advocate here for those complaining about the refs:

# of fouls: SLU 18, Seton Hall 26

FTs taken: SLU 41, Seton Hall 26

With those 2 numbers I'd imagine any refs complaints would be met with guffaws by non-Billiken fans.

I think there are 2 things going on:

1. There were some particularly poor calls against SLU especially in the first half when we were working to claw our way back.  On the flip side, I'm sure Seton Hall fans would've taken exception to some of the calls against their two 7 footers.
  2. Seton Hall's game plan was to play super physical against us (French, Bell, Goodwin, and Collins in particular) because they weren't worried about us making FTs.  The refs aren't going to see/call all of the fouls they had and they may even call some ticky tack ones on SLU to try to keep the # of fouls more even.

1 hour ago, RUBillsFan said:

Playing devil's advocate here for those complaining about the refs:

# of fouls: SLU 18, Seton Hall 26

FTs taken: SLU 41, Seton Hall 26

With those 2 numbers I'd imagine any refs complaints would be met with guffaws by non-Billiken fans.

I think there are 2 things going on:

1. There were some particularly poor calls against SLU especially in the first half when we were working to claw our way back.  On the flip side, I'm sure Seton Hall fans would've taken exception to some of the calls against their two 7 footers.
  2. Seton Hall's game plan was to play super physical against us (French, Bell, Goodwin, and Collins in particular) because they weren't worried about us making FTs.  The refs aren't going to see/call all of the fouls they had and they may even call some ticky tack ones on SLU to try to keep the # of fouls more even.

-I had a problem with his theatrics on most if not every call, reminded me of Ted Valentine

-I wish CFord wouldn't go so nuts after the refs and use so much of some TO time in discussions with the stripes instead of in the huddle

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

-I wish CFord wouldn't go so nuts after the refs and use so much of some TO time in discussions with the stripes instead of in the huddle

Coaches behavior towards officials in all sports is something that always amuses me. I just don't understand how there is not some sort of expectation for how coaches interact with officials that would be beyond that of a hyperactive child having his video games taken away.

JohnnyJumpUp and RUBillsFan like this

1 hour ago, slufan13 said:

This board has a problem with taking every word that Ford says literally. I know we went a long time without a coach who would say anything to the media but "coachspeak" is a real thing

Not sure if this is reference to my post since I mentioned what Ford said but I just want to add either way, I agree Ford will talk in "coachspeak".  However here is the article I am getting the quote from Link.

Here is the paragraph: "Ford said that Fred Thatch Jr. was the team’s best 3-point shooter during the summer. And Jordan Goodwin, KC Hankton and Demarius Jacobs are all capable from distance although none has proved to be consistent yet".  

To me, the entire article reads like Stu decided to write about improved 3-point shooting and was getting quotes but Ford had no interest in talking about it because the 3-point defense has been bad.  It doesn't come across as some coach speak talking about how great or improved Thatch is, more he answered a question Stu asked. 

And my point isn't that Thatch is a shooter, just that I don't understand why it is decided he isn't a shooter already.  His first 3 pointer he put up against FGCU somebody by me started yelling that Thatch shouldn't have shot because he isn't a shooter right when he let it go.  His high school stats I posted above aren't terrible and it has only been one year.  He won't be Jimerson but I am not ready to write him off as somebody that can't shoot.  

4 minutes ago, Bills_06 said:

His first 3 pointer he put up against FGCU somebody by me started yelling that Thatch shouldn't have shot because he isn't a shooter right when he let it go.  His high school stats I posted above aren't terrible and it has only been one year. 

Well, he isn't a gym rat nor the son of a coach.....

If there is a fan yelling dumb crap, chances are it is me. I remember being at a Cardinals game years ago when Scott Seabol came into pinch hit. I yelled something like, might as well just concede the out and not waste our time seconds before Seabol proceeded to hit a 2-run home run. I received a hell of a lot of hate from the BFIBs after that, but in my defense that was Scott Seabol's only home run in MLB.

24 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

Well, he isn't a gym rat nor the son of a coach.....

If there is a fan yelling dumb crap, chances are it is me. I remember being at a Cardinals game years ago when Scott Seabol came into pinch hit. I yelled something like, might as well just concede the out and not waste our time seconds before Seabol proceeded to hit a 2-run home run. I received a hell of a lot of hate from the BFIBs after that, but in my defense that was Scott Seabol's only home run in MLB.

I remember that and it was the rubber game of the Yankees series.