GDT: Take Down The Pirates

SLU_Nick

3 minutes ago, CenHudDude said:

Some. Of it may have been in “garbage time”, but Has put up a double double with 5 blocks.  He is a warrior.  There were also other good takeaways from the game.  Overall they were beaten today by a superior more mature team.  The Billikens have great potential and will learn from this game.

Has could put up a double double with his eyes closed.  He's gifted

My main thing with Has is that he can't be our go-to guy if he struggles this mightily with free throws.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

I think this is a bit overreacting. It sucks and I'm pissed. But I don't think we can throw our head couch under the bus for our free throw struggles. I'm not looking at numbers but Has was the only one who hurt us if I'm not mistaken? Goodwin made a few and Bell hit at a decent clip. 

I think Has and Jordan looked ok. It just all happened so fast I need to go back and rewatch but I think calling them out is overreacting. I think they are both going to have big years. We will see.

Chill out on Auburn and k state. Let's use this as a building block and get up to speed. We fell behind early and we never caught up. I think it's different if bell hits those free throws to start the game. 

I think we can hang with these teams. I really do. I'm very surprised/ dissapointed with how today transpired but im not done drinking the Kool aid. Trust in team blue.

I will ride Team Blue until I die but shooting 56% as a team from the line doesn’t cut it. Doesn’t factor in the misses on 1 and 1s too. 

We will just have to disagree on the rest. See you guys for High Point.

49 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Couple hours to reflect.

that was an ass beating. 

i don’t think the effort was always there today. 

french and Goodwin aren’t as good as their stats show so far this season 

the free throw thing is just unacceptable. I’m about to sound like @billiken_roybut Ford has to be held accountable for this completely unacceptable tendency. 

no chance we beat Auburn or Kstate. 

This game was certainly a reality check but I’m looking forward to seeing the new guys develop. 

We actually match up pretty well with KState, even in the frontcourt. Looking forward to that game.

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Our inexperienced only one senior team lost to a possible final four team.  Nothing else to discuss about tonight.    Let's just move on.

Yeah, I think all of us had this as a loss. Sure I wanted a better performance, but it didn’t happen. Seton Hall is loaded. Hopefully some of the younger guys learn from it, definitely good experience early in their careers. I feel better about this team thru 4 games than I did in July, so while today was bad, it is what it is.

Someone mentioned the Kansas State game, I’m really interested in that one and Auburn.

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

seton hall only out scored us in the paint by four

Yeah but we had crucial turnovers forced by their length, multiple lost possessions from blocked shots and gave up a ton of offensive rebounds. In short, I think length (disrupting shots and passing lanes, getting second chances) is what separates a lot of the elite teams and it’s not something we’re well set up to combat right now.

It certainly wasn’t the only thing that cost us tonight. 

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

A10 road games are challenging no matter who you're playing. And we have some tough road games, starting with the conference opener at Duquesne.

But we ain't exactly chopped liver. Make a couple of more 3s and shoot a whole better from the line we're in this game tonight. Not saying we win, but it's not the blow out it was. I thought we really made some stupid decisions with the ball tonight: Yurimania, JGood, Has, Thatch. You can't take it to the trees. And God knows they had trees. 5 of them. If we had outside solid shooting tonight it would have been a game. No one's gonna shut down SH with Powell and their 5 seven footers. It's just too much. MSU didn't. That game could have gone either way. 

Yes, A10 roadies will be tough, but we got a team that can beat anyone in the A10. We will surprise a lot of folks this season. 

Back home from the game and from dinner. I am sorry, I genuinely thought we could beat them but we were not successful against SH. They won by 17 pts over us. Too bad, a win is a win, a loss is a loss. This was a loss.

Looking at the stats they beat us in rebounds (46 to 38), assists (18 to 10), and we had one turnover more than they did. We made equal number of blocks and steals. They had a lot more personal fouls than we did (26 to18), and two of their really big players were fouled out of the game in the 2nd half. The Bills did not have any players foul out. So what happened, they shot a lot better than we did and that made the difference.

From my technically uneducated point of view, they were totally  prepared to deal with our 5 starters and we managed relatively little against them when they were in. As the bench came in we tended to do better. From my point of view we lost the game during the initial 5 to 10 minutes of both  halves, primarily the first half. During these periods SH built a point advantage we could not defeat. I thought we played better with the bench in, and after their 2 bigs were fouled out. Powell played an excellent game, although the results were just average for him. On our side French and Goodwin did better at the end when the two bigs had fouled out. They  also had Jimerson figured out and he just managed to score in the  double figures at the end of the second half, like Goodwin and French (and after the two bigs had fouled out). Many players contributed to a better level than they had before, Perkins and Bell did pretty well. Hankton did not play much and achieved little. Hargrove played 4 minutes scored 2 pts and got  3 rebounds.

Overall the Bills tried hard and never gave up but SH was the  dominant team for most of the game. So, we lost. And yes there are a lot of ifs that should they  have come to pass would have improved our resutlst (FT shooting, improved FG scoring, more assists and rebounds), but they did not happen. Now on to the next game.

The place was pretty full, the students did not leave at the half and there was a lot of enthusiasm. The refs made an number of really bad calls that also affected the results. Too bad. Let's look forward instead of wasting time wailing about this loss to SH.

4 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

After 10 years of shooting free throws at around 45%, DeAndre Jordan all of sudden started shooting them over 65%. The battle has only just begun.

Well, we pretty much have nowhere to go but up, so I'll join you in looking at things optimistically. 

The thing with Ford talking about what the players do in practice is now everything is electronic with ShotTracker.  It was just installed in July so I am hoping that if Ford isn't lying, seeing it on their phones after every practice will give them more confidence when they step up to the line in games.  We will see.  

-at this point HAS is a 32% FT shooter with 25 attempts, would it be appropriate for Frank to ask CFord if they have used or thought about a sports psychologist for this?  CFord says HAS makes FT's in practice, clearly this is not translating to games

-I will say in defense of HAS, the last two games at halftime he is on the FT line so he is aware, I agree his form looked better the first couple of games and if we can call this improvement his misses are closer than they used to be

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-at this point HAS is a 32% FT shooter with 25 attempts, would it be appropriate for Frank to ask CFord if they have used or thought about a sports psychologist for this?  CFord says HAS makes FT's in practice, clearly this is not translating to games

-I will say in defense of HAS, the last two games at halftime he is on the FT line so he is aware, I agree his form looked better the first couple of games and if we can call this improvement his misses are closer than they used to be

im sure they dont, but I really hope they dont just tell French to go to a hoop in the corner and shoot ft's.  You have to add elements. 

Quality Is Job 1 likes this