GDT: Take Down The Pirates

SLU_Nick

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

And we'll be rejoined by @slu72 in 3... 2...

Now... I didn't make it to the end and participate in the GDT. 

My observations from the game: 

1) Seton Hall is good. Powell, while  a great player, their deep height is a bigger plus. 

2) We are young. They are mature. Mature beats youth. 

3) Our poor FT shooting will be our downfall. Have no idea how we fix this. 

4) No loss of faith in Yurimania. Kid's playing with two bad hands and he's a FR. He's still looking to make the killer assist. YURI DON'T WORRY! 

5) Has is a warrior. He will kill in the A10. 

6) JGood see 5 above. Tried to do a little too much tonight. 

7) Jimerson has to find his shot in games. He could have made a huge difference in this game. He needs to stroke like 3-4 in  a row. That's why Travis put him in there early: 

Perkins should get more minutes. He can score. 

As for the A10 VCU and Dayton are our biggest problem. We should kick ass against everyone else. We are better and we're deep. 

38 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

I know Coach Ford wants to play a physical style of ball on the defensive side but when they get in the half court on offense who is the top perimeter threat?  Who is going to break the defense down and create for others?  Out of the starters...Yuri does a good job of playmaking off the bench.

Yuri plays 30 min a game and will be doing so for the foreseeable future. He'll be doing what you describe against top 15 teams by this time next year. Same with the new guys who can shoot the ball. I don't need the above questions answered four games into their college career.

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

1) Seton Hall is good. Powell, while  a great player, their deep height is a bigger plus. 

4) No loss of faith in Yurimania. Kid's playing with two bad hands and he's a FR. He's still looking to make the killer assist. YURI DON'T WORRY! 

7) Jimerson has to find his shot in games. He could have made a huge difference in this game. He needs to stroke like 3-4 in  a row. That's why Travis put him in there early: 

As for the A10 VCU and Dayton are our biggest problem. We should kick ass against everyone else. We are better and we're deep. 

AGREED, we shoot 100% on free throws we win!  Why is it that guys who want to play Pro Ball don't practice enough that they can make the low pressure shot. They need to shot hundreds.

Bell out scored their 2 7' footers, maybe we should have played diaria more in the first 3 games to bring him in to help disrupt.

I like CF but he could have done more.

Hopefully this was a great learning point for our team.  Seton Hall was better yes, but not great. Too many trees for us and we didn't stop Powell or Mamu anywhere near enough.

Come on Bills!

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

A10 road games are challenging no matter who you're playing. And we have some tough road games, starting with the conference opener at Duquesne.

-missed opportunities....we lost by a bunch as SHall jumped on us and we don't call multiple TO's to try to get us straight or slow them down -- JBell was playing against the best bigs he might ever see, JBell needed more clock especially in the second half --I guess we played zone to try something -- I hope those fans that came do return as I think we will get better as a result of this game

-let's learn from this 

Couple hours to reflect.

that was an ass beating. 

i don’t think the effort was always there today. 

french and Goodwin aren’t as good as their stats show so far this season 

the free throw thing is just unacceptable. I’m about to sound like @billiken_roybut Ford has to be held accountable for this completely unacceptable tendency. 

no chance we beat Auburn or Kstate. 

This game was certainly a reality check but I’m looking forward to seeing the new guys develop. 

Billikens4life likes this

6 minutes ago, slufan13 said:

Jimerson was the least of our concerns tonight

Disagree. We needed a 3 pt shooter tonight. Gibson has got to provide the sniper shot. Look what that kid from Belmont did to BC. I'm not knocking Gibson, but he's the guy to be the sniper for us. 

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

Disagree. We needed a 3 pt shooter tonight. Gibson has got to provide the sniper shot. Look what that kid from Belmont did to BC. I'm not knocking Gibson, but he's the guy to be the sniper for us. 

Jimerson knocked them down when the Bills found him when he had an open look.  He isn’t ever going to be Powell with the shot clock almost expired knocking down an off balance 22 footer while being well guarded. You expect that and you are going to be disappointed.

Zink likes this

14 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Couple hours to reflect.

that was an ass beating. 

the free throw thing is just unacceptable. I’m about to sound like @billiken_roybut Ford has to be held accountable for this completely unacceptable tendency. 

This game was certainly a reality check but I’m looking forward to seeing the new guys develop. 

I think this is a bit overreacting. It sucks and I'm pissed. But I don't think we can throw our head coach under the bus for our free throw struggles. I'm not looking at numbers but Has was the only one who hurt us if I'm not mistaken? Goodwin made a few and Bell hit at a decent clip. 

I think Has and Jordan looked ok. It just all happened so fast I need to go back and rewatch but I think calling them out is overreacting. I think they are both going to have big years. We will see.

Chill out on Auburn and k state. Let's use this as a building block and get up to speed. We fell behind early and we never caught up. I think it's different if bell hits those free throws to start the game. 

I think we can hang with these teams. I really do. I'm very surprised/ dissapointed with how today transpired but im not done drinking the Kool aid. Trust in team blue.

6 minutes ago, RiseAndGrind said:

Couple hours to reflect.

that was an ass beating. 

I agree with this.  Especially with French in this game.  If he is gonna be the horse that this team needs to take over games, he just has to make free throws.  

The free throws as a whole are a HUGE liability.  Just think, we fouled out their 2 big men, but it didn't make any difference because we can't make free throws.

Good teams will force us to make free throws, and continue to make the game choppy which is not how this team would be successful

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

He hit 50% of his 3s against a final four level team as a freshman. Expecting more from him is crazy. Side effect of Yurimania? The only player to make more 3s than Jimerson tonight was Powell

Zink likes this

2 minutes ago, brianstl said:

Jimerson knocked them down when the Bills found him when he had an open look.  He isn’t ever going to be Powell with the shot clock almost expired knocking down an off balance 22 footer while being well guarded. You expect that and you are going to be disappointed.

I was not comparing Jimerson to Powell. But he got open looks when a 3 would have mattered. He didn't hit them. That's why Ford had him in the game: do what u do in practice, hit some damn 3's! 

Some. Of it may have been in “garbage time”, but Has put up a double double with 5 blocks.  He is a warrior.  There were also other good takeaways from the game.  Overall they were beaten today by a superior more mature team.  The Billikens have great potential and will learn from this game.

6 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I was not comparing Jimerson to Powell. But he got open looks when a 3 would have mattered. He didn't hit them. That's why Ford had him in the game: do what u do in practice, hit some damn 3's! 

He hit 3 out 6 attempts. He shot the second most 3 attemps of anyone on the floor.

Zink and almaman like this

7 minutes ago, slu72 said:

He just needs more clock time. Probably should be starting soon.  Has to be in the flow.  And he plays best with Yuri

1 minute ago, CenHudDude said:

Some. Of it may have been in “garbage time”, but Has put up a double double with 5 blocks.  He is a warrior.  There were also other good takeaways from the game.  Overall they were beaten today by a superior more mature team.  The Billikens have great potential and will learn from this game.

Supposedly French makes his free throws in practice. I have said this before he needs to see a sport psychologist. 

8 minutes ago, slu72 said:

he made his second 3 point attempt. It was the second shot the Billikens made in the game.