Question About Marketing SLU Basketball

aj_arete

Just curious and this is not a big deal.  I see the Billikens marketing the basketball team, but don't recognize the player.  Is it Gibson Jimmerson?  If so, that seem odd to use him in an advertising since he's a freshman that wasn't highly touted.  I would have thought Hasahn French or local product, Jordan Goodwin would have been more ideal for this marketing campaign.

They rotate the players in the marketing campaigns. I've seen a variety of players highlighted for ticket deals, billboards, ads etc. Goodwin, French and Thatch have been prominently featured on promos I've seen.

Try something else... This non-issue ain't gonna work.

59 minutes ago, ACE said:

They rotate the players in the marketing campaigns. I've seen a variety of players highlighted for ticket deals, billboards, ads etc. Goodwin, French and Thatch have been prominently featured on promos I've seen.

Try something else... This non-issue ain't gonna work.

As the resident marketing hater on the board I’m right with Ace. Right now the issue is not marketing but staffing of ticket sales.

31 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

As the resident marketing hater on the board I’m right with Ace. Right now the issue is not marketing but staffing of ticket sales.

Keep in mind, the author of the thread hasn't posted here since January, yet felt compelled to chime in over an ad featuring GJ? I doubt he was genuinely concerned about SLU's marketing efforts.

slufanskip and Box and Won like this

7 minutes ago, ACE said:

Keep in mind, the author of the thread hasn't posted here since January, yet felt compelled to chime in over an ad featuring GJ? I doubt he was genuinely concerned about SLU's marketing efforts.

I know I just wanted to point out that the Ticket office deserves a lot of credit despite being short staffed 

On 11/15/2019 at 4:55 PM, billikenfan05 said:

I know I just wanted to point out that the Ticket office deserves a lot of credit despite being short staffed 

It's odd marketing.  I would never market a team with players that hardly see the court.  I've seen advertising for SLU vs. Seton Hall three times and I've only seen Jimmerson for each.  I guess it just so happens that when I clicked on STLToday, it was when Jimmerson's rotation was up.  And marketing Hightower, who I have never heard of doesn't make sense to me either.  I'd focus on French or Goodwin.  And if you're going to market a St. Louisan, then what about Yuri?  Those would be the only three I would focus on, actual stars or those with a local connection.  But what do I know about marketing.

4 hours ago, aj_arete said:

It's odd marketing.  I would never market a team with players that hardly see the court.  I've seen advertising for SLU vs. Seton Hall three times and I've only seen Jimmerson for each.  I guess it just so happens that when I clicked on STLToday, it was when Jimmerson's rotation was up.  And marketing Hightower, who I have never heard of doesn't make sense to me either.  I'd focus on French or Goodwin.  And if you're going to market a St. Louisan, then what about Yuri?  Those would be the only three I would focus on, actual stars or those with a local connection.  But what do I know about marketing.

I mean clearly you’re not paying attention. 

4 hours ago, aj_arete said:

Ya man I've seen almost every player in some kind of marketing ad this year. This is just way off mark. What 05 said honestly. Just pay attention.  Advertising new players also helps recruiting in a way. This should be the lleast of our worries

On 11/15/2019 at 2:03 PM, aj_arete said:

Just curious and this is not a big deal.  I see the Billikens marketing the basketball team, but don't recognize the player.  Is it Gibson Jimmerson?  If so, that seem odd to use him in an advertising since he's a freshman that wasn't highly touted.  I would have thought Hasahn French or local product, Jordan Goodwin would have been more ideal for this marketing campaign.

So to recap this little gem 1) You didn't think this was a big deal, yet you felt strongly enough about it to make your first post in nearly a year.  2) You didn't recognize GJ? Not only is it very easy to recognize him and you know that, the player's name is on the ad... so your statement is BS.    3) GJ wasn't "highly touted"? There was a lot of buzz the moment we signed him.  And there were quotes by Ford saying he was one of the best pure shooters he has ever recruited.

So in just his 5th collegiate game, the kid leads the team in scoring and minutes played. Kudos to the marketing department. Shame on Aj. The implication of his post is despicable.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2019 at 2:36 PM, aj_arete said:

Rookie of the Week, two weeks in a row. Not bad for a kid who "hardly sees the court." 😉

2 hours ago, moytoy12 said:

Kind of odd that we're 8-1 and haven't seen aj around lately.  Probably still getting over Missouri's loss last week.  Poor guy. 

If the great satan to the west were to poach Travis to replace coach poach, I would commit a disparate outrage against myself  

4 minutes ago, Billiken Rich said:

If the great satan to the west were to try to poach Travis to replace coach poach, I would commit a disparate outrage against myself  

their mbm's to the west like to say coach ford is a slimy cheat and not a single player on the billikens could play in the sec. so i dont see them poaching travis

27 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

their mbm's to the west like to say coach ford is a slimy cheat and not a single player on the billikens could play in the sec. so i dont see them poaching travis

Besides they spent all their money on the new football coach - 4 million a year for 5 years.  I think they were only paying Odom 2.5 and that was after his raise last year.  They did do one thing right and they had a reasonable buy out clause which amounted to one year salary if what I read was accurate.