SHall over The Bills by 6

The Wiz

In case anyone had any doubts about SHall ...last night's game against Mich St  should end that speculation. I had Mich ST winning that game by 3...the fact that they did,  means it will have little effect on their ranking...they drop to about  14th or 15th in the standings...unless they lose to us.  One wheel Powell was working on all cylinders having an outstanding night.  He is rated the 2nd best player ITN by some analysts....Interestingly , Winston from Mich St has been rated #1 by some.   Make no mistake about SHall....They are an A+ rated team ....They are projected to win the Big East...no easy task as they are an A rated league....The worst team in the league ...GT is rated B.   SHall shall be Dancing

We go into this game grading out at B......So what does this mean?   Is it hopeless? Do  we give up? Heck no , we have a chance to win this game.....

First , let's see what we are dealing with...

..............................SLU...........................SHall.............................................SLU...................................SHall

..................................................OFF......................................................................................DEF...............

PPG.........................B+...............................B+...................................................C+...................................C

FG%..........................A.................................B+.. ............................................ ..C+..................................C+

3Pt%..........................B................................B+...................................................F.....................................C+

FT%...........................F-.11th worst ITN......C-.............................................................................................

Reb............................B...............................C...................................................B-......................................D

OFF Rebs  = total rebs...DEF rebs = opp reb

Change from last game....UP...OFF FG%...Reb......... ....DEF  PPG....FG%........DOWN...FT%....  opp Reb

Top 100 ITN

Stls....Goodwin ...34th

Assts...Collins....5th...using assts /min....he is #1 ITN

PPG....Powell....46th...21.3 pts

Assts...McKnight....73rd.

Blks....Gill...51st

Report card review....We match up pretty well on offense except FTs...we are shooting 51% on FG% AND FT%....we need to get up to 64% on FTs  just to move up to F........and we match up on defense pretty well too, except for 3P%....And even with the "trees" we are the better rebounding team. Our flaws are at the FT line and 3P defense. 

WWN2D2W.....Stop Powell....hold him to 14 pts...,..Slash at 52/39/63...very doable...sadly the hardest thing to do will be the FTs....Make a few more foul shots...ie make more than half...also no open 3s for SHall......Out rebound them....by 5-7 rebs.....TO differential ...We need to have 2 TOs less than them....SHall showed last night they are vulnerable to turning the ball over.   Don't try to shoot over Gill (7'2")...no more than 1 block from him....slow down McKnight ...4 assts.....did I mention  STOP Powell.

Bottom line...This game is winnable but we will have to play our best....which I don't think we have done yet.  SHall shall be seeking revenge. But we are a different team this year especially on offense.  They don't know what to expect...heck we don't know what to expect from the Bills.  BUT.....If we follow the WWN2D2W.... then...The Bills SHall win...Go Bills

CBFan likes this

The key to beating them last year was the clamp down Bess put on Powell. My guess would be Ford would put Fred on him. Or we go to the 1-3-1. Still, their height advantage is gonna be hard to overcome. I worry about French getting in foul trouble trying to do too much. He's got to play smart. Wiz is right, they are good but not unbeatable. After Evansville anything's possible in college hoops. 

ESPN writer Schulz in an article about where the next Evansville is likely. He thinks it's SLU against SH. Cites JGood and French as our mainstays and that the Fetz will be rowdy. No mention of Yurimania, so obviously Ace, in his new role as CYO, needs to get busy! 

Wiz I am glad you think we can win this game as I do. I have looked at the stats for the year (team rankings) and we appear to be pretty well matched so far. It is true that they have played against teams ranked a lot higher than the teams we have played, but on paper we look pretty even. If we win this game it will most likely not be by much, if we lose it I hope it is not by much either. We will see this weekend.

I think we have a tough challenge on Sunday, and Seton Hall is certainly the favorite, but SLU-Seton Hall is not comparable to Evansville-Kentucky. This is a home game for a 3-0 team that made the tourney last season. Not to mention against a team we beat last season. I hope that our players expect to win.

dlarry, SShoe, Zink and 2 others like this

12 minutes ago, NH said:

I think we have a tough challenge on Sunday, and Seton Hall is certainly the favorite, but SLU-Seton Hall is not comparable to Evansville-Kentucky. This is a home game for a 3-0 team that made the tourney last season. Not to mention against a team we beat last season. I hope that our players expect to win.

Exactly this.  It is an absurd comparison and annoys me when the casual fan reads this and thinks that we are the little engine that could.  

11 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

Exactly this.  It is an absurd comparison and annoys me when the casual fan reads this and thinks that we are the little engine that could.  

I dont think he is comparing, hes simply saying look what happened to Evansville, anything is possible. Which is true.

EDIT: never mind, didnt see the post below that. Ya frick that. 

52 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

This game is more akin to the rematch with Va Tech in the tournament. Seton Hall is bigger and badder than they were last year but we're more cohesive offensively than we were last year.

It's obvious Seton Hall will attack the basket and try to get French in foul trouble. We've got to withstand their first half run. 

40 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

This game is more akin to the rematch with Va Tech in the tournament. Seton Hall is bigger and badder than they were last year but we're more cohesive offensively than we were last year.

It's obvious Seton Hall will attack the basket and try to get French in foul trouble. We've got to withstand their first half run. 

Not having a solid 5/4 with French will be our crutch. 

Someone with Gordon’s talents would have given us a big advantage 

SLUMedBilliken15 likes this

Not sure where to put this one:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We’re hearing that the Billiken Ticket office has had a massive run on tickets in the last 48 hours for Sunday. Less than 1000 tickets remain for the Billikens meeting with #12 Seton Hall.</p>&mdash; The House That Rick Built (@HouseRickBuilt) <a href="https://twitter.com/HouseRickBuilt/status/1195443882739322880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 15, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TheDude likes this

The good news: Powell was just a 36% 3 point shooter last season. The bad, he was very good down the stretch, conference tourney and NCAA's. If you take away their final game that they lost in NCAA's, he shot 58% from 3 in conference tourney and NCAA combined. He has picked up where he has left off at 43/44% this far this season. He is also a very good FT shooter. He is a big moment, big game player. Getting the ball out of his hands, especially if/when heating up is important. Very deep range. Must extend to guard and avoid dribble drive fouling. 

7 minutes ago, courtside said:

The good news: Powell was just a 36% 3 point shooter last season. The bad, he was very good down the stretch, conference tourney and NCAA's. If you take away their final game that they lost in NCAA's, he shot 58% from 3 in conference tourney and NCAA combined. He has picked up where he has left off at 43/44% this far this season. He is also a very good FT shooter. He is a big moment, big game player. Getting the ball out of his hands, especially if/when heating up is important. Very deep range. Must extend to guard and avoid dribble drive fouling. 

This is a game where I would love to be able to have Majerus back to coach our guys and maybe bring back Mike McCall for a game.  I'm pretty confident in Goodwin / Thatch being able to slow Powell down.  I'd be a lot more confident if the whole team had Rick's defensive coaching and game plan plus Mike McCall just glued to Powell the entire game so he rarely touched the ball.

St. Louis may have been factored in as a let down game after a win over Mich State, but that did not happen. If SHU is a top level team which we saw last night, they go into St. Louis and take care of business. St. Louis is a mid level A10 team, regardless if it is on the road or not a top 15 team does not lose that game. Even if Powell rests against St. Louis, it is a winnable game. I would love to see Cale pick up where he left off, and the high level defense continue. I have a good feeling that this will be a double digit win. This is not a loss the team wants come March if they are looking for a top 4 seed, let's go Pirates

https://setonhall.forums.rivals.com/threads/st-louis-is-about-taking-care-of-business.42744/

1 hour ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Not having a solid 5/4 with French will be our crutch. 

Someone with Gordon’s talents would have given us a big advantage 

Well,  if we had Wilt Chamberlain in his prime we could be a threat to beat SH. Jeesh. 

7 minutes ago, Brighton said:

That sounds like fighting words to me....who is going to go over there and demand to see some PAYSTUBS!!!

(Actually a fairly reasonable take, sounds like he understands this game isn't a gimme, but is one that Seton Hall is expected to win given their ranking / expectations)

Too bad we couldn't have Javon Bess for one more game to blanket Powell. I just don't remember SH having all the bigs I saw in last nights game against Sparty. Let's play our best game of the young season and see what happens. Oh! Hitting a decent % of our FT's would be a big help too.

courtside likes this

4 hours ago, NH said:

Just to expand on your point a bit....In my system, to be called an upset you need to be a  2 full letter underdog (6 notches). We are a B team ...SHall is an A+ team...4 notches.....not an upset......Evansville was a C team and beat Ky  an A+ team...7 notches....an upset...btw  Ky was a 25 pt favorite.

28 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Just to expand on your point a bit....In my system, to be called an upset you need to be a  2 full letter underdog (6 notches). We are a B team ...SHall is an A+ team...4 notches.....not an upset......Evansville was a C team and beat Ky  an A+ team...7 notches....an upset...btw  Ky was a 25 pt favorite.

On top of that, it was a road game for Evansville over Kentucky, but the Bills will be playing Seton Hall at home.

I'd still prefer a Billikens win as an underdog even if no one wants to call it an upset!