Yuri Collins - best passer in the country. Full stop.

jimbofive

18 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

The official scorer isn't one of the statisticians.  I don't know exactly how it's handled at the college or pro levels, but I have been both for high school basketball.

The official scorer records field goals made, fouls, and free throws (made and attempted) for both teams and is technically a game official.  Each team can have a statistician who records the remaining stats for their own team's players:  assists, rebounds, steals, blocks, turnovers, and field-goal attempts.  Sometimes it's a coach or team manager who fills that role.

SLU has 3 or 4 gentlemen keeping unofficial team stats. They use to sit in front of me until they added seats for Rex. They are now in front of the band. They had different jobs. Assists -Rebounds-Turnovers-Attempts etc. 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Well, I lost picking French.  Perkins owns Collins a nice dinner!

The wild thing is the average points scored per assist. You would expect most everyone to be down in the low 2.x range, because     Even if every assist was a made 3pt shot, the max ppa would be 3.

Jimerson(13a @ 2.8), Jacobs(9a @ 2.7), and Weaver(6a @ 2.8) are outstanding, because they all are at, or markedly above their statistically projected points per assist if their feet were glued to 3pt land. Collins is dropping dimes to them at their favorite spots, with tons of space, beyond the 3 pt line.

French and Goodwin are averaging 2.5 and 2.4 points per assist, so they both are at the charity stripe for the majority of baskets scored off a Collins dime. The vast majority of these assists are off Collins driving and feeding inside the paint. Perkins’ assists are a mixed bag, but exemplary in that he cashed in at 40 dimes at 2.7 ppa.

Collins feeding assists to Hargrove only resulted in 20 assists at 2.2 ppa, so Hargrove is finishing most of these at the rim.

This is the value of Collins. He creates flow and spacing, and has the vision to drop dimes behind him, cross court, to the cutter/slasher, and feeding the post/paint.

HoosierPal and Reinert310 like this

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NH said:

Elite Yuri thread on Twitter:

If he comes back next year with a more reliable jumper, we have a potential all-conference player on our hands.

And to be fair, Yuri looks like he has a decent stroke/shot. This is not Hasahn-style overhaul issue.