Yuri Collins - best passer in the country. Full stop.

jimbofive

4 minutes ago, QUAILMAN said:

Cease and Desist recipient here. Here's my input on some of the comments above:

1. The problem with the Jordair shirt was, as previously noted, the obvious "likeness" of the player. The combination of using his unique name and hair on the shirt was a big no-no. I do not believe that infringing on Nike's Jumpman logo was ever mentioned in the C&D. I think using Yuri's name still falls in/around the "likeness" category, but don't quote me.

2. I made the "nobody is making any money" defense, since I was selling at cost. The response to that was that SOMEBODY was making money (t-shirt maker) on a NCAA players likeness.

3. Yuri's eligibility would only be hurt if SLU did not make an attempt to stop the shirts from happening after they found out. Nobody made us stop wearing the Jordair shirts, we just had to stop making them after the C&D, which I did. Luckily for many of you, I had quite a few printed before the C&D came. I probably dished out 50 of those shirts before SLU found out.

Bottom line: You'll probably be fine if only a handful of people get them, but I would not blast it around the board.

Not that this issue is a big deal to me either way, but with respect to Item #2, it seems hypocritical to me.  (Then again, there are some who might say that "hypocritical" is synonymous with "NCAA," but I won't get into that now.)  The NCAA and its member schools are somebodies making money off of players' likenesses and names.  If not for the players, there would be no games for ESPN and CBS, etc., to bid billions of dollars for to air on television and sell advertising for, and those that buy advertising do so because they expect to profit from their sponsoring the games played by those players who nobody else can profit from the names or likenesses of.

The NCAA is a huge conglomerate and the players are crowd-sourcers.  Sure they're "recompensed" by a scholarship, but that requires them to put in a lot of work.  (Side rant:  I have a degree, but it has never sat well with me that I'm paying money for someone to judge my effort and make demands on my time.  I should be getting paid in order for people to do that.  But I know the schools need to get money to pay for staff and resources somehow; I just don't like some of the elements of how the system works.)

/end rant

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, QUAILMAN said:

Cease and Desist recipient here. Here's my input on some of the comments above:

1. The problem with the Jordair shirt was, as previously noted, the obvious "likeness" of the player. The combination of using his unique name and hair on the shirt was a big no-no. I do not believe that infringing on Nike's Jumpman logo was ever mentioned in the C&D. I think using Yuri's name still falls in/around the "likeness" category, but don't quote me.

2. I made the "nobody is making any money" defense, since I was selling at cost. The response to that was that SOMEBODY was making money (t-shirt maker) on a NCAA players likeness.

3. Yuri's eligibility would only be hurt if SLU did not make an attempt to stop the shirts from happening after they found out. Nobody made us stop wearing the Jordair shirts, we just had to stop making them after the C&D, which I did. Luckily for many of you, I had quite a few printed before the C&D came. I probably dished out 50+ of those shirts before SLU found out.

Bottom line: You'll probably be fine if only a handful of people get them, but I would not blast it around the board.

-I'm curious, was C&D from SLU? NCAA? did it say we know about these shirts or we have actually seen these shirts? 

4 hours ago, Cowboy said:

-I'm curious, was C&D from SLU? NCAA? did it say we know about these shirts or we have actually seen these shirts? 

It was from the SLU AD. I don’t recall if they mentioned they actually saw the shirts, but they certainly were reading this board and urging me to not place a second large order of shirts that I was about to go through with.

After I acknowledged the C&D, I came back to the board here to explain what happened and that I couldn’t make more shirts and the AD hit me up again and were all ticked that I was even talking about the shirts still. 

13 hours ago, QUAILMAN said:

It was from the SLU AD. I don’t recall if they mentioned they actually saw the shirts, but they certainly were reading this board and urging me to not place a second large order of shirts that I was about to go through with.

After I acknowledged the C&D, I came back to the board here to explain what happened and that I couldn’t make more shirts and the AD hit me up again and were all ticked that I was even talking about the shirts still. 

-thanks for the explanation

• 4 months later...

Next year is going to be crazy. Hargrove and Perkins are money slashing finishers. Jimerson will be 40% from 3pt land. French can power flush in the paint. And our last mentioned starter at point forward is only our top double double in Goodwin.

We have a backup center in Bell, a backup point in Jacobs, a backup 3ptr in the Swede, a hardworking utility man getting ojt in Strickland, and personnel to be clarified as time progresses.

Of course Ford again is going to work matchups hard, and weave players in and out of the starting lineup as he fosters development.

Yuri is the facilitator for all. 

That video leaves me panting. I mean some of those passes were just unreal. You all know how much I praised him before he even played a game, but now after watching a full season of his work it wasn't enough by half. Kid's a killer. YURIMANIA! Catch it, embrace it, and love it! 

Shout out to the posters that saw this in this young man before the recruiting process even began and had mentioned that SLU must get Yuri.

The posters on this site motivated my wife and go see the kid play and we were rewarded with a 30 point effort and some great assists.

Yuri brought back offense to the Billikens.  The fast breaks that were so troublesome the season before became a thing of beauty and grace finishing at the hoop.

Yuri will score more as defenses will play the pass but it will be pick your poison.

Its funny that when Yuri signed the posters on Tiger board said it was a good signing for SLU.  Note to those posters it would have been a good signing for them and anyone else in division 1.

Yuri was probably one of the 10 most overlooked players in division 1 and will prove that when SLU reaches the sweet 16 next season.

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Next year is going to be crazy. Hargrove and Perkins are money slashing finishers. Jimerson will be 40% from 3pt land. French can power flush in the paint. And our last mentioned starter at point forward is only our top double double in Goodwin.

We have a backup center in Bell, a backup point in Jacobs, a backup 3ptr in the Swede, a hardworking utility man getting ojt in Strickland, and personnel to be clarified as time progresses.

Of course Ford again is going to work matchups hard, and weave players in and out of the starting lineup as he fosters development.

Yuri is the facilitator for all. 

i assume you are taking all bets that the locomotive bell will be a backup and not a starter?   i'll take some of that bet.

Old dog learns new tricks category:  I was always under the impression that an assist was awarded if and only if the pass received led to a direct basket.  If the receiving player dribbled or improved his position before the basket, the assist was not awarded.  Now i see where the definition of an assist is such that it is discretionary.  Not sure I agree but I was surprised to know this had changed.  It went with the caveat that it is now harder to compare assist totals across generations due to this change.  Also, FIBA awards assists to players who pass into a situation that results in two made free throws.  Interesting.  

In any case, Yuri is certainly a pure, pass-first PG.  On the way to challenging H Waldman for best ever in Billiken lore.

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

i assume you are taking all bets that the locomotive bell will be a backup and not a starter?   i'll take some of that bet.

Bell was a starter this year and will probably be a starter next year.  But the five guys who will lead us in minutes, provided they're healthy, will be Goodwin, French, Perkins, Collins and Jimerson.

bauman likes this

3 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Bell was a starter this year and will probably be a starter next year.  But the five guys who will lead us in minutes, provided they're healthy, will be Goodwin, French, Perkins, Collins and Jimerson.

he didnt say that.   he said backup.  

44 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Old dog learns new tricks category:  I was always under the impression that an assist was awarded if and only if the pass received led to a direct basket.  If the receiving player dribbled or improved his position before the basket, the assist was not awarded.  Now i see where the definition of an assist is such that it is discretionary.  Not sure I agree but I was surprised to know this had changed.  It went with the caveat that it is now harder to compare assist totals across generations due to this change.  Also, FIBA awards assists to players who pass into a situation that results in two made free throws.  Interesting.  

In any case, Yuri is certainly a pure, pass-first PG.  On the way to challenging H Waldman for best ever in Billiken lore.

I may be wrong but I think that change in how an assist was awarded was in the 50's or maybe 60's. I believe it's always been the same in my lifetime. 

Do we know if those plays in the video where a player put the ball on the floor was actually counted as an assist? I always thought an assist was a pass the scorer received and took a shot w/o dribbling the ball. Has this changed? 

On 11/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, jimbofive said:

In another thread, @brianstl said Yuri could lead the conference in assists if he works on his jumpshot.  I started to correct him and then decided it needs its own thread.

You mean lead the NATION in assists, right?

He's currently 5TH.  http://m.espn.com/ncb/leagueleaders?groupId=50&season=2020&seasonType=2&statgroup=assists&category=avgAssists

Also, all those other above him are playing 35ish minutes per game, compared to Yuri's 26.

Assists per minute, he beats them all.

Hate to break it to you, but Yuri Collins is currently the best passer in the country, right now, as a freshman.

YURIMANIA.  Catch it.

If we had Jimerson all year, and Perkins had a more complete year from distance.. Yuri would have finished in elite pace 

Skip:  I don’t think so.  I played in the 70’s and if you threw a pass to a guy open at half court and he drove uncontested to a basket, that was not an assist because he had to improve his position substantially to score.  In Yuri’s video, there are multiple great passes to French who then dribbles three or four times, improving his positioning and distancing himself from Yuri’s set up.  Is that then an assist?  I don’t think so but I am asking anyone in the know.   

The assists to TJ and Perkins I certainly get.  I’d appreciate someone setting the record straight, recognizing it can be interpretive.

2 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Skip:  I don’t think so.  I played in the 70’s and if you threw a pass to a guy open at half court and he drove uncontested to a basket, that was not an assist because he had to improve his position substantially to score.  In Yuri’s video, there are multiple great passes to French who then dribbles three or four times, improving his positioning and distancing himself from Yuri’s set up.  Is that then an assist?  I don’t think so but I am asking anyone in the know.   

The assists to TJ and Perkins I certainly get.  I’d appreciate someone setting the record straight, recognizing it can be interpretive.

It is an assist now and it should be regardless of dribbling. 

I can't find anything on when the rule changed but I can't ever remember a time when putting the ball on the floor cost the player an assist. We're on a 2 vs 1 break I pass you the ball you take one dribble and I lose the assist? I've never been an official scorer which is why I wrote I wasn't sure but I'd bet the change was made when the game started to become more athletic. Hard for me to believe Cous didn't get an assist if the player took a dribble. 

BilliesBy40 likes this