Yuri Collins - best passer in the country. Full stop.

jimbofive

In another thread, @brianstl said Yuri could lead the conference in assists if he works on his jumpshot.  I started to correct him and then decided it needs its own thread.

You mean lead the NATION in assists, right?

He's currently 5TH.  http://m.espn.com/ncb/leagueleaders?groupId=50&season=2020&seasonType=2&statgroup=assists&category=avgAssists

Also, all those other above him are playing 35ish minutes per game, compared to Yuri's 26.

Assists per minute, he beats them all.

Hate to break it to you, but Yuri Collins is currently the best passer in the country, right now, as a freshman.

YURIMANIA.  Catch it.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm rather sure the four guys in front of him are all starters.  Yuri is a "make everyone around you better" type guy on offense.  If he cleans up his defense and free throw shooting a little bit, he's start earning more minutes that will allow him to get higher up on the list.

22 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

I'm rather sure the four guys in front of him are all starters.  Yuri is a "make everyone around you better" type guy on offense.  If he cleans up his defense and free throw shooting a little bit, he's start earning more minutes that will allow him to get higher up on the list.

If he cleans up his defense??? Highmark said yesterday, 5 minutes into the game, that Collins is already "one of the best on ball defenders you will see in college basketball." 

2 hours ago, thetorch said:

I would take this down for Yuri’s and the teams sake. This is no different than AirJordair shirt.

2 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

I’m just relaying that this is exactly the same as the AirJordair shirts, expect a C&D

I understand this point in that both shirts are using the players first name.  However, I think there are some key differences:

1. The AirJordair shirt had a likeness of Jordair on it with his dreadlocks.

2. The AirJordair shirt was possibly infringing on Nike copyrights of Air Jordan and the jumpman logo.  I know no such issues with the Yurimania shirt.

3. The AirJordair shirt more obviously referenced Jordair Jett the basketball player because:

• it was in a basketball context (included jumpman logo) and
  • Jordair is a more unique name/term than Yuri*
    • Do a quick Google search of both (or maybe don't for Yuri if you're at work). Jordair Jett shows up on the 1st page and is the 2nd topic after Jordair Compressors.  Yuri Collins doesn't show up in the 1st ten pages (most of which reference "a Japanese jargon term for content and a genre involving lesbian relationships or homoeroticism" or the Mexican singer Yuri, but also several doctors with the 1st name Yuri, a photographer, etc.)

TLDR: The AirJordair shirt is pretty obviously for fans of Jordair Jett the SLU basketball player, but @thetorch is more likely just a maniac fan of the Japanese lesbian relations genre and also likes the color blue.

* - if you search the term Yurimania instead, this board actually shows up on the bottom of the 1st page.

rgbilliken likes this

8 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

@QUAILMAN can explain the situation much better than I. I was just a hype machine for it

Cease and Desist recipient here. Here's my input on some of the comments above:

1. The problem with the Jordair shirt was, as previously noted, the obvious "likeness" of the player. The combination of using his unique name and hair on the shirt was a big no-no. I do not believe that infringing on Nike's Jumpman logo was ever mentioned in the C&D. I think using Yuri's name still falls in/around the "likeness" category, but don't quote me.

2. I made the "nobody is making any money" defense, since I was selling at cost. The response to that was that SOMEBODY was making money (t-shirt maker) on a NCAA players likeness.

3. Yuri's eligibility would only be hurt if SLU did not make an attempt to stop the shirts from happening after they found out. Nobody made us stop wearing the Jordair shirts, we just had to stop making them after the C&D, which I did. Luckily for many of you, I had quite a few printed before the C&D came. I probably dished out 50+ of those shirts before SLU found out.

Bottom line: You'll probably be fine if only a handful of people get them, but I would not blast it around the board.

billikenfan05 and BilliKat like this