A10 on 11/12

Taj79

VCU not withstanding, Dayton is class of league in my book based on what I've seen so far.  Richmond only goes 5 deep so they have more to prove.  Us beating BC would be a nice add to the laurels so far.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

VCU not withstanding, Dayton is class of league in my book based on what I've seen so far.  Richmond only goes 5 deep so they have more to prove.  Us beating BC would be a nice add to the laurels so far.

I agree.  My top half would look like this:

Dayton

VCU

Richmond

Rhode Island

St Louis

Davidson

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tho RI and Richmond are practically tied, could go with either.  Davidson started off too slow, but could see them getting back to form quickly.  Its going to be a dog fight and its unfortunate that the beating up on each other may cost 1 or 2 worthy teams of march madness.  

45 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

Early returns on the season across the league have been good (not looking at you Bonnies). While these #s will jump around a lot early in the season. Here are the current Conference RPI ratings as of 11/26/19.  For comparison. At end of the season last year, A10 was 11th and on 11/26/2018 we were 18th (!!). 

image.png.5b3a4178cdec774dbf658a466304eee4.png

Kind of incredible that we're still doing so well with Davidson being a huge disappointment so far

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I agree.  My top half would look like this:

Dayton

VCU

Richmond

Rhode Island

St Louis

Davidson

---------------------------------------------------------------

Tho RI and Richmond are practically tied, could go with either.  Davidson started off too slow, but could see them getting back to form quickly.  Its going to be a dog fight and its unfortunate that the beating up on each other may cost 1 or 2 worthy teams of march madness.  

KenPom has Duquesne up there as well, but IMO they haven't proven anything and really can't until conference play rolls around.  The Dukes play absolutely no one in non-conference.  The best team they've played so far (and will in non-conf) is probably Indiana State (mid-tier MVC team) who they barely beat on a neutral floor.  They also have no non-conference true road games somehow playing 7 neutral site non-conference games.  Maybe you prefer neutral site games against Radford or UAB as tougher than Indiana State, but you can see the quality of lack-thereof in their schedule.  

When we go to Pittsburgh to play them to open up the A-10 season, we should easily be the best team they've played all year.  Hopefully that's a good thing as we will be able to sort of catch them by surprise after feasting on so many cupcakes.  If the Dukes aren't undefeated going into this game, it will be a pretty big disappointment IMO.

Littlebill likes this

17 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

KenPom has Duquesne up there as well, but IMO they haven't proven anything and really can't until conference play rolls around.  The Dukes play absolutely no one in non-conference.  The best team they've played so far (and will in non-conf) is probably Indiana State (mid-tier MVC team) who they barely beat on a neutral floor.  They also have no non-conference true road games somehow playing 7 neutral site non-conference games.  Maybe you prefer neutral site games against Radford or UAB as tougher than Indiana State, but you can see the quality of lack-thereof in their schedule.  

When we go to Pittsburgh to play them to open up the A-10 season, we should easily be the best team they've played all year.  Hopefully that's a good thing as we will be able to sort of catch them by surprise after feasting on so many cupcakes.  If the Dukes aren't undefeated going into this game, it will be a pretty big disappointment IMO.

Ya the Dukes would have been my #7 and for all the reasons you just named.

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

Early returns on the season across the league have been good (not looking at you Bonnies). While these #s will jump around a lot early in the season. Here are the current Conference RPI ratings as of 11/26/19.  For comparison. At end of the season last year, A10 was 11th and on 11/26/2018 we were 18th (!!). 

This is insane considering where the A10 has been in the standings the past few years.... It's been a long time coming. Get ready for the Fetz to be rocking during conference play. 

55 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

Are their home games technically neutral-site games, since they're playing in random gyms throughout Pittburgh while their gym is being renovated?  Perhaps winning these games impacts KenPom's algorithm in their favor, more so than a typical home game would?

2 hours ago, glazedandconfused said:

lol.  I was reading the MWC message boards after the MWC/A10 challenge was released, they were upset because they were playing a weak conference with just one good team in VCU

28 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

Are their home games technically neutral-site games, since they're playing in random gyms throughout Pittburgh while their gym is being renovated?  Perhaps winning these games impacts KenPom's algorithm in their favor, more so than a typical home game would?

I dont think it would, but I also dont know.

49 minutes ago, Box and Won said:

I actually thought this too, so I looked into it more.  KenPom considers all of their "home" games to be regular home games even though they are played somewhere else in the Pittsburgh area than their normal home gym.  I guess their could be something in his underlying data that accounts for their nomad status, but it doesn't appear that way on the surface.

Their 7 non-conference neutral site games were/are:

• Indiana State - Bimini, Bahamas (part of Junkaroo Jam "tournament")
  • Air Force - Bimini, Bahamas (part of Junkaroo Jam "tournament")
  • Loyola Marymount - Bimini, Bahamas (part of Junkaroo Jam "tournament")
  • Radford - Akron, Ohio (Radford is in Virginia, so no idea why this game is being played in Ohio.  It is closer to a home game for the Dukes than neutral.)
  • Austin Peay - St. Petersburgh, FL (part of St. Pete Shootout)
  • UAB - St. Petersburgh, FL (part of St. Pete Shootout)
  • Marshall - Cleveland, Ohio (Cleveland Classic - Marshall is in WV so this is closer to being a Dukes home game as well)

They don't even have any "neutral" games that are really away games like ours vs Auburn (which KenPom considers semi-away FYI).  UAB in St. Pete is the closest thing to a road game and they're 9 hours away.  I guess it makes sense for them to be playing a lot of neutral site games given they don't actually have a "home" gym this season.  However, it does not make any sense for them to not be playing any road games at all.  Why wouldn't they have tried to schedule some home / homes to with return trips next season or gone on the road for some buy games to make money (I don't think any of those neutral site games are going to make anything)?

Also of note: in addition to being their toughest game of the season up to that date, the game against us will be their first game of the season playing at "home" at Robert Morris University.  Their non-conference "home" games are all at PPG Paints Arena or La Roche University.  Hopefully that's a good thing for SLU as well.

Box and Won likes this

I've never been as excited to watch a Richmond basketball game as I was last night. 2 great A-10 game on tonight, I can't wait to watch.

Also looking forward to being 5 greyhounds (gin, not vodka) deep by the time SLU tips off with BC tomorrow (early) afternoon...

Box and Won likes this

6 minutes ago, Slu let the dogs out? said:

I've never been as excited to watch a Richmond basketball game as I was last night. 2 great A-10 game on tonight, I can't wait to watch.

They return EVERYONE next year too. its incredible. Richmond and SLU will be the two best teams entering next season imo

Just now, moytoy12 said:

Impressed by both Dayton and Richmond.  A-10 is for real this year. 4 bid league. Gonna have 3 teams ranked at the same time at some point. 

Unfortunately I won’t be surprised if it backfires that way, I could see the league beating itself up into a two bid league.

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Unfortunately I won’t be surprised if it backfires that way, I could see the league beating itself up into a two bid league.

If we continue the OOC success, then those won’t be bad losses. We’ll be like a P5 league where a 18-12 record can get you in the tourney. 

5 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

If we continue the OOC success, then those won’t be bad losses. We’ll be like a P5 league where a 18-12 record can get you in the tourney. 

True OOC this year has been different then recent years. Only half way through but hope it continues 

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Good to see Osunniyi back on the floor. 15 and 11 in a Bonnie win. 

The Bonnie’s May be that team that hurts the A10 In regards of bids. Zero chance for any good OOC wins but could give any of the top 5 fits