• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, tarheelbilliken said:

Better night in the A10>

Joey's beat UCONN away 96-87

VCU beats a ranked #23 LSU in a close 84-82 game.

In other games:

Geo Mason beat LIU,  Lasalle loses to Penn & Fordham beats FDU.

Very solid night. UConn predicted 5th of 12 teams in the AAC. They're not the UConn of old but that should be a top 100 win for St. Joe's. Everything helps. 

image.png.2ba0490e1fb03bfcebeacaf8244b666c.png

Here is an interesting graphic from Kenpom data showing A10 movement through the first handfull of games.  Richmond's Vbilt game and Rhody's win over Bama aren't on this, but you can clearly see a top 7/bottom 7 division.  Earlier we all had 3 tiers.  Perhaps now we have two half's.  (Trending down closer to #1 is the direction you want.)  Yes, small sample sizes but interesting.

TheChosenOne likes this

Watched Rhodey last night.  All I'll say is so far, same three guys ----- Dowtin, Langevine and Russell.  Jacob Toppin, Obi's brother, isa more of an Hankton type ----a shooting 3/4 and not the dunbkfest his brother is.  I think Jermaine Harris, former four-star recruit, transfers after this year if he makes it that far.  He took five shots, three of which were threes and was constantly jawing with Coach Cox.  Alabam is completely undicisplined under Oats right now.

Today Geedubya hosts Morgan State and Umass gets Central Connecticut.  Neither game has a line.  La Salle (+5.5) hosts Temple.  The Joeys are at Loyola and Moser (-6).  UNC Wilmington is 2 and 1 and at Davidson today (-16).  Dayton hosts Chalreston Southern in a campus game of the Maui Jim and there is no line also.  Besides us and the Hall tomorrow, Jacksonville State goes to VCU and Cal State Northridge is at Richmond.

The A10 took down another P5 conference tonight, with the Bonnies beating undefeated Rutgers on a neutral court.  The Bonnies had two freshmen score 39 of their 80 points.  Sophomore's Lofton and Welch went for 28.  And Osunniyi didn't play.  His replacement, Ikepeze, fouled out, as the refs gave Rutgers over a 2:1 ratio on FT's.

Watch out for the Bonnies once Osunniyi comes back.

Winston is a nice pick up for the Bonnies ...about 6'7" or 6'8".  Gives them much more than Mt. St. Mary's transfer Bobby Planutis.  That was Vasquez' first game of doing much of anything for the Bonnies so I'll defer judgement for now.  I just don't think Dom Welch is all that special and until Osunniyi does more than defend, ditto there.  Right now,  Osunniyi and Romero Gill of the Hall appear to be clones if you ask me.

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

Has anyone seen how hilariously terrible Mason’s schedule has been so far?

theyve been taken to OT by Navy and had to come back and win against Loyola - Not Chicago, but Maryland

https://gomason.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule/2019-20

their fun is over(fun yet difficult for them).  #6 Maryland next

Davidson handled Nevada easily last night.  Nevada today is not Nevada of last year.  What was a good-looking matchup paled when the reality of this year rolled around.  Kind of like us to the Hall.  Dayton ran away and hid from a talent-challenged Omaha team.  No issues there.  Nicholls State took Rhodey to the limit last night in Kingston but Fatts and company had enough heroics at the end to survive.  Loyola-MD had a chance against Mason up to the very end but faltered down the stretch and on the road.  Loyola has a guy Golden Dike who is a Hasahn clone -- big and burly and missed like six or seven free throws down the stretch that were huge.  Mason hacked him every time he touched the ball.

It's early, but based on  what I have seen to date, I think Dayton is the class of the A10 this year.  VCU has inconsistent shooting issues.  Davidson is still a five-man team.  Rhodey is a three-man team.  The Bonnies aren't that good to start with.  Duquesne looks good, but has played no one.  Yes, mason's schedule is laughable -- and they played them all at home. Ditto Fordham.  I'd love to see Fordham enter A10 play undefeated.  What a joke.  There will be a real race among bottom feeders -- the Joeys, La Salle, Umass, Fordham,. Geedubya.  Richmond looks good on paper but have played no one, all at home as well.  Wisconsin comes calling soon -- we shall see.  Dayton now goes to maui and opens with Georgia.  And then there could be some big boys after that.  We'll know just how right or wrong I amon Dayton come December 1.

41 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

Ryan was 0-for-11 (I think) in his first two Joey games.  Today, he was 1 for 5.  Four joeys played about 34 minutes each.  They won't last.

Ryan Daly is averaging 20 ppg. He scored 25 today on 11 of 26. 
He’s a good player no matter how you feel about him.