2020 Committed Recruit Tracking

Pistol

In the past, we've had an annual thread to keep track of news with committed/signed players. It's a little different this year with a much smaller potential class and only one fall commitment (Markhi Strickland), but I figured I'd get it going just to keep people updated.

The early signing period begins tomorrow - Wednesday, November 13 - and goes through the 20th. I haven't seen any word about Strickland's plans, but I assume he'll be signing in short order.

Strickland scored 18 in a 74-55 win over Miami Triple Threat in the Inaugural Broward College Prep Classic. He plays for Victory Rock Prep's postgrad team. Next game is tomorrow night.

So, Strickland is a 5th year player?  If so, like that.  Always good to have an extra year at a prep school for the slower to mature player.  Some kids just do not start to really physically develop until late HS.  Others are like men at 16, 17.   Perhaps Strickland is one of those players later to mature kids?

40 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

So, Strickland is a 5th year player?  If so, like that.  Always good to have an extra year at a prep school for the slower to mature player.  Some kids just do not start to really physically develop until late HS.  Others are like men at 16, 17.   Perhaps Strickland is one of those players later to mature kids?

I believe so. He did at least two years at Florida Christian, then went to IMG Academy for 2018-2019, and now is doing a postgrad year at Victory Rock Prep. It's a little unusual because the first recruiting tidbit I can find about him is from 2017 and he's referred to as a 2020 recruit at Florida Christian. When he transferred to IMG, he was called a junior in the tweets about it. But then his mom tweeted about him being blessed to have another year to develop and taking a postgrad year at VRP. So somewhere along the way he must've reclassified even though he appears to have always been listed as a 2020 recruit. Maybe he did three years at Florida Christian? I'm not totally clear on that, but the VRP postgrad program is for fifth year players.

His birthday is 5/27/01, so he'd have been on the young end of the 2019 class.

And yes, I'd consider him a late bloomer.

dennis_w likes this

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">People laughed when I said my goals 🤫 <a href="https://t.co/DUkcNSS3Ml">pic.twitter.com/DUkcNSS3Ml</a></p>&mdash; Markhi Strickland (@MARKHIXV) <a href="https://twitter.com/MARKHIXV/status/1194642703461625857?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 13, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tweetin' on day 1 of the early signing period.