Coach Ford on the Radio

HoosierPal

This was yesterday on the Press Box.  https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Segment 4 on 11/11.

He compares Collins to Sean Woods who was his teammate at Kentucky.  (Woods played in the 1992 NCAA Final game against Duke.  He did have the winning shot, until Laettner's subsequent buzzer beater.)

Frank C asked Ford if his best five is four guards plus French.  Ford agreed but said Bell hasn't played as much as expected due to the other team playing small. 

DJ is playing in Portugal and Tremaine is playing in Turkey.  He talked about Bess in the G League.  Dion Wiley is still looking for an opportunity overseas.

Weaver - his experience shows in his toughness, particularly on defense.  In the first game, he put Tay at the point rather than Goodwin when Yuri was in foul trouble.

Asked about French, Frank compared him to DeMarre Carroll who has had a nice NBA career.  Ford, "no question Hasahn will get a shot at the NBA".  He can handle the ball, is an underrated shooter, and Ford said he is the best one on one player on the team, from the perimeter, taking his guy off the dribble.  Ford says French needs to put up numbers, and improve FT% to get him attention.  Ford wants a double-double from French every night.  He wants French to get into the mindset of being the best rebounder in the country.  Said French has to do a better job of staying in the game, and not getting silly fouls. 

On Hargrove, yes, Coach said he hates not being able to play TJ.  "His time is going to come."  Right now everything is happening fast for him. 

Eastern Washington has played two games and averaged 30 three point shots per game, hitting a third of them. 

SLU_Nick, TheDude, CBFan and 4 others like this

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

This was yesterday on the Press Box.  https://590thefan.com/radio-shows/press-box/

Segment 4 on 11/11.

He compares Collins to Sean Woods who was his teammate at Kentucky.  (Woods played in the 1992 NCAA Final game against Duke.  He did have the winning shot, until Laettner's subsequent buzzer beater.)

Frank C asked Ford if his best five is four guards plus French.  Ford agreed but said Bell hasn't played as much as expected due to the other team playing small. 

DJ is playing in Portugal and Tremaine is playing in Turkey.  He talked about Bess in the G League.  Dion Wiley is still looking for an opportunity overseas.

Weaver - his experience shows in his toughness, particularly on defense.  In the first game, he put Tay at the point rather than Goodwin when Yuri was in foul trouble.

Asked about French, Frank compared him to DeMarre Carroll who has had a nice NBA career.  Ford, "no question Hasahn will get a shot at the NBA".  He can handle the ball, is an underrated shooter, and Ford said he is the best one on one player on the team, from the perimeter, taking his guy off the dribble.  Ford says French needs to put up numbers, and improve FT% to get him attention.  Ford wants a double-double from French every night.  He wants French to get into the mindset of being the best rebounder in the country.  Said French has to do a better job of staying in the game, and not getting silly fouls. 

On Hargrove, yes, Coach said he hates not being able to play TJ.  "His time is going to come."  Right now everything is happening fast for him. 

Eastern Washington has played two games and averaged 30 three point shots per game, hitting a third of them. 

-thanks for the report, hope our 3pt defense is improved -- sounds like a learning curve, TJ will get there and most of us will be glad he Became a Billiken

Thought it was interesting that the French NBA discussion got going when Frank mentioned that someone from TNT saw French during the FGCU game and called Frank to learn more about him. Apparently, he was unfamiliar with French and was very impressed with what he saw.

4 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Segment 4 on 11/11.

This just isn't true. As I pointed out in the EWU spread thread...EWU has only played 1 game....the other game doesn't count....Portland Bible College isn't even D-3  (EWU 107...PBC 25...53pts on TOs for  EWU).  The only D-1 team EWU has played is a very poor (F rated)  Seattle team.  Here is what the slash looked like. for EWU...39/19/69.....F- / F- / F+ .   3 pt shooting 6-31...The only part of that bolded  statement from above that is close to  true is they took 31 shots.

Yes, I know EWU has played only 1 game  and yes they could have had a bad game but they beat a very bad team because they barely  out slashed them.... Seattle slash 35/18/68    And adding a Pacific Christian Athletic Conference team (PBC) to your stats doesn't make you a better team.

1 hour ago, billikenbill said:

Thought it was interesting that the French NBA discussion got going when Frank mentioned that someone from TNT saw French during the FGCU game and called Frank to learn more about him. Apparently, he was unfamiliar with French and was very impressed with what he saw.

We are so blessed we won the recruiting battle for French.  It feels so good not thinking we recruited that guy as we watch him.

• 4 weeks later...

"I wish good things for Gordon." That would be a thanks but no thanks. When he mentioned last year they were dealing with off the court issues, you'd have to think Gordon was at the center of some of those. Especially, after Santos left. I seriously hope young Mr. Gordon gets himself and his  problems sorted out, but where he goes from here is anyone's guess. ;He's running out of BB options. You have to wonder what D1 coach would add him to his roster at this point. 

One little thing that Ford mentions during the interview that may have gotten overlooked... he said "we only have 12 players on scholarship right now." There was speculation that one of the walk-ons got the 13th scholarship. IF that is not accurate and we currently have one available, that would open up the possibility of taking on a transfer at semester break. There have been quite a few transfers already announced and I would expect quite a few more in the next week or two, when semester breaks happen.

I think he’s referring to the fact that we have 12 recruited scholarship players. The 13th would be awarded to Raboin since it was available and he’s done everything asked of him. However, I could be wrong about it.

21 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

I think he’s referring to the fact that we have 12 recruited scholarship players. The 13th would be awarded to Raboin since it was available and he’s done everything asked of him. However, I could be wrong about it.

Maybe, I considered that, but it was just interesting the way he said it... emphasizing the words "right now."

Dec 10 edition of Tuesday's with Travis  https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/billikens-basketball-update-with-travis-ford-december-10-2019/

Not a lot of new information on last weeks game, if you listened to his Tulane post game interview and/or read the PD article on the game.

Interesting, when Danny Mac asked if when recruiting they say "you can be as good as XYZ.."  Coach said of course, and they usually pick an NBA player.  They used JJ Reddick as a player Jimerson could be like.   For Hasahn French, Keneth Faried and Draymont Green are two they ask Hashan to look at and model what he does.

As he stated Sunday, it's finals week, plus the players are catching up on classwork they may have missed.  Coaches are doing a lot of local recruiting.  Ford is going to a couple of local games tonight.  (He again said this is the first time in his career he can catch multiple games in one night, due to the talent in STL.)   He said they get great local crowds here, saying there are very few places in the country that supports HS ball as they do here.

They aren't getting a lot done on the court this week.  Practice schedules are fluid.

His Mom and Dad try to make every home game.  They are 2.5 hours away.

Auburn "It doesn't get any tougher".  Ranked 12th in AP poll and higher in the RPI.  Not many weaknesses.  They might be better than last year.  They out rebound their opponent by 10 per game.  We are a +8.  They have four or five future NBA players according to Ford.

Nothing said on Thatch or Hankton.  Twelve minute interview.   

slufanskip likes this

Auburn is going to be a very similar game to what we say inBonner’s jr and sr years against Xavier. Xavier had Tyrone Hill and Derek Strong as pfs, plus a 6’7” backup, and they also had a smaller guard who played in the NBA as well. We had Bonner battling in the paint, but little else for bigs. We would get our teeth kicked in if Luechtefeld and Duff were cold from 3, be close if they hit 30%, and barely win if they were hot from 3.

This game is the reason Bell has gotten development time in games. It will be his time to hold his own defensively. If he doesn’t come to play hard for 15 minutes, we are going to get shaken hard by a pit bull.

We cannot shoot our way to a win in an offensive slugfest - 60% from 3 will only keep us even with their prolific 2 pt game.

Like the Wiz said, keep the score low, limit their Off boards and our turnovers, and we can be close.

HoosierPal and CBFan like this

9 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

This game is the reason Bell has gotten development time in games. It will be his time to hold his own defensively. If he doesn’t come to play hard for 15 minutes, we are going to get shaken hard by a pit bull.

This times a million.

If we eased him in like most frosh, we would be beyond screwed. 

Just now, Old guy said:

I will go beyond Bell, I think we will need Hargrove in. I am certain there will will be a lot of fouls called in this game. We are probably going to need to play all the able bodies we have.

before Hankton(if healthy)?

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay, so Holt gym was one of the locations he was at last night, per Tuesday with Travis.  They played FZN out in Wentzville.

@Pistol, targets?  K. Lee Jr?

It's definitely Kelvin Lee, Jr. from Fort Zumwalt North. I'm not aware of any other D-I prospects for either FZN or Holt. FZN has a 6-9 sophomore who doesn't really play yet. Holt doesn't have anyone taller than 6-4 and I think they just play good team ball, with 5 guys scoring between 10 and 15 PPG currently.

This is going to be an “all hands on deck” game. It is essential to keep French and Goodwin out of foul trouble, so Bell, Jacobs, Hankton, and Hargrove will need to be judicious foul sponges.

Pearl is a very clever game plan coach, so he will focus on switches that specifically attack F & G. Ford will counter with. a combination of zone, and not switching French.

Auburn will pack it on D, and have a ball deny guard on Jimerson. Hopefully Jacobs and Collins start hot, so Auburn has to exert more energy on D than they like.

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Okay, so Holt gym was one of the locations he was at last night, per Tuesday with Travis.  They played FZN out in Wentzville.

@Pistol, targets?  K. Lee Jr?

Yep. This will be a tough scout for Coach Ford.  Lee will have some big nights but FZN plays against a weak schedule. And curiously, despite being a good three-point shooter he is not a good free throw shooter.  It will be interesting to see what progress he's made come AAU season.

i have HATED pearl for years.   constant cheater going back to his Iowa assistant coaching days.   while i am expecting a loss, it will be a loss i wont take well as i detest losing to cheaters.   how in the world the likes of pearl is allowed in college basketball really upsets me towards the NCAA.  

47 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Yep. This will be a tough scout for Coach Ford.  Lee will have some big nights but FZN plays against a weak schedule. And curiously, despite being a good three-point shooter he is not a good free throw shooter.  It will be interesting to see what progress he's made come AAU season.

Man, what more could we ask for.  He will fit in well with TeamBlue.

42 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i have HATED pearl for years.   constant cheater going back to his Iowa assistant coaching days.   while i am expecting a loss, it will be a loss i wont take well as i detest losing to cheaters.   how in the world the likes of pearl is allowed in college basketball really upsets me towards the NCAA.  

while good reason for hating him, his ways will give us a solid opponent over the next few years.  

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

Auburn is going to be a very similar game to what we say inBonner’s jr and sr years against Xavier. Xavier had Tyrone Hill and Derek Strong as pfs, plus a 6’7” backup, and they also had a smaller guard who played in the NBA as well. We had Bonner battling in the paint, but little else for bigs. We would get our teeth kicked in if Luechtefeld and Duff were cold from 3, be close if they hit 30%, and barely win if they were hot from 3.

We cannot shoot our way to a win in an offensive slugfest - 60% from 3 will only keep us even with their prolific 2 pt game.

Like the Wiz said, keep the score low, limit their Off boards and our turnovers, and we can be close.

Regarding the highlighted statement, I must argue with that.  60% from 3 requires an opponent to shoot 90% from 2 to match.  I don't think even Auburn is that prolific and won't be against SLU.