Thinking About The Weekend

mrjoelabs

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really appreciate the sheer size that Seton Hall has.  I am very excited about the long term prospect of Bell but he is just going to be completely over matched inside by the experienced players on that team who are 6'11. 

I just googled Romaro Gill who is 7'2 256 pounds and get this....is 25 years old! 

Goodness.  It is unfair for us to expect Bell to be effective against someone like that.  If anyone tries to trash Bell in the GDT thread on Sunday I will be ready to keyboard fight them.  

The big unskilled guys may have a field day with Hankton trying to bang with them but I am really concerned about the White euro power forward with the long name (Mamulskelli?) who seems to have a bit of skill to go along with his experience.  I do not know who is gonna guard these people...Jacobs?  Goodwin guarding the 4 spot in a pinch?  

French absolutely cannot get in foul trouble.  

We just need to run them off the floor and hope to tire their bigs out maybe? Have them guard us far away from basket and have Jimmer banging 3s off of curl sets might be the answer.  

The "pound the ball into French" strategy that we fall back on during tough times is not going to bear great fruit.  

I kind of thought Seton Hall was fraudulent before last night (mainly just bc we took them down last year at their place)....now I don't.  

Hopefully some one from Seton Hall reads this forum:

"French - Game Time Decision".  Has he recovered from his cramps?  Maybe we start Diarra in his place.  Goodwin may be absent due to studying for a test on Monday.  Hargrove looking at extended playing time.

8 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I didn't really appreciate the sheer size that Seton Hall has.  I am very excited about the long term prospect of Bell but he is just going to be completely over matched inside by the experienced players on that team who are 6'11. 

I just googled Romaro Gill who is 7'2 256 pounds and get this....is 25 years old! 

Goodness.  It is unfair for us to expect Bell to be effective against someone like that.  If anyone tries to trash Bell in the GDT thread on Sunday I will be ready to keyboard fight them.  

The big unskilled guys may have a field day with Hankton trying to bang with them but I am really concerned about the White euro power forward with the long name (Mamulskelli?) who seems to have a bit of skill to go along with his experience.  I do not know who is gonna guard these people...Jacobs?  Goodwin guarding the 4 spot in a pinch?  

We just need to run them off the floor and hope to tire their bigs out maybe? Have them guard us far away from basket and have Jimmer banging 3s off of curl sets might be the answer.  

The "pound the ball into French" strategy that we fall back on during tough times is not going to bear great fruit.  

I kind of thought Seton Hall was fraudulent before last night (mainly just bc we took them down last year at their place)....now I don't.  

I am for some home cooking, the 3's dropping and THE LOCOMOTIVE holding his own for a few minutes. this could be a very good win

16 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

I see diarra getting some late minutes here.  Bell will more than likely foul out, and KC simply doesn't have the size. 

23 minutes ago, SLU_Nick said:

who seems to have a bit of skill to go along with his experience.  I do not know who is gonna guard these people...Jacobs?  Goodwin guarding the 4 spot in a pinch?  

Goodwin would tack on too many fouls trying to guard a 6'11 guy.

Other than Powell, we have the advantage at guard play imo.  

this says a lot to me.  this is from SH message board

"Myles was fantastic.
Gill was the next best thing. Except for that one ridiculous layup near the end, MSU had essentially given up on challenging us inside. He was intimidating. Unfortunately, for us they got hot from the arc."

MSU plays big most of the time too, sometimes with 4 bigs and a guard.   if they had problems, im really worried about the youth and inexperience in our front court.  I think our best chance is to beat them with the backcourt. 

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

"Myles was fantastic.
Gill was the next best thing. Except for that one ridiculous layup near the end, MSU had essentially given up on challenging us inside. He was intimidating. Unfortunately, for us they got hot from the arc."

MSU plays big most of the time too, sometimes with 4 bigs and a guard.   if they had problems, im really worried about the youth and inexperience in our front court.  I think our best chance is to beat them with the backcourt. 

I hope Ford is thinking hard about how to beat these guys.  French barging in hard from the top of the key just seems like a bad strategy.  

Yuri running them off the court while Jimmer, Weaver, and Jacobs bomb transition 3s sound like a fantastic way to spend the Sunday afternoon.  haha

7 minutes ago, wgstl said:

"Myles was fantastic.

I'm not trying to overlook their bigs because I think that will be a problem for us and we certainly don't have the front line of Michigan State.  However, Powell scored over 50% of their points last night.  Over 3 games this year, Powell scores 25% of their points.  Powell and Mamukelashvili (yes, I looked up how to spell it) are their only players averaging double digits.  The key to winning this game is still stopping / slowing Powell.  If we can't do that, I think we lose for sure, if we can I think we have a chance if some other things go right for us as well.

wgstl likes this

I’m hoping Seton Hall game plans a little off of last years Bills strategy.

This Bills team plays so different than last years team that they aren’t even comparable. I’m betting Seton Hall plays basically the same system.

Hopefully the Bills changing systems and Seton Hall staying the same plays into our favor.

28 minutes ago, wgstl said:

"Myles was fantastic.

Gill played 28 mins and scored 0 points, which I didn't know was possible. I'm not sure he'll be too much of a problem on that end, besides maybe rebounding and second chance points

4 minutes ago, Littlebill said:

Gill played 28 mins and scored 0 points, which I didn't know was possible. I'm not sure he'll be too much of a problem on that end, besides maybe rebounding and second chance points

true, he also didn't try to  score.  But those 5 blocks, ouch.  They have no bench really.  At least nothing worth keeping an eye on other than Gill, who most on the SH board thinks will take Obiagu minutes from now on.   bench got out-scored 11 to 28 against msu.

Also good news, state won that game and only shot 58% from the line.

I was at the Hall last year.  They were just Powell and Nzei and Nzei graduated.  Their whole offense was Powell and the final of 66 to 64 reflects what Bess’ effort provided.  I think Sandro took the last shot and missed.

They return everyone.  Cale is nothing special.  Neither is McKnight or Rhodes.  But they are capable.  Romero has no offense and is an Osunniyi clone.  Sandro is a bricklayer.  But overall they are adequate and made better by Powell.  Plus they are huge with 5 seven footers on the roster.

1 minute ago, billikenfan05 said:

Can our guard depth beat their lack of depth. -

Can French’s quickness beat Gill - 

Can we make shots, especially free throws 

- should be able too

-I can see it.

-lol on the last part

Just now, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

The jerseys the students are getting for this sunday's game are like the white home ones. They got the arch on the back and everything. Obviously not as nice as actual ones but much nicer than the crap knockoffs for sale. Check the men's basketball Instagram story. I'm pissed

Hopefully half the students dont leave at halftime like last game.  What was up with that?

1 minute ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

The jerseys the students are getting for this sunday's game are like the white home ones. They got the arch on the back and everything. Obviously not as nice as actual ones but much nicer than the crap knockoffs for sale. Check the men's basketball Instagram story. I'm pissed

you want one of the black ones from last year?

1 hour ago, Taj79 said:

I was at the Hall last year.  They were just Powell and Nzei and Nzei graduated.  Their whole offense was Powell and the final of 66 to 64 reflects what Bess’ effort provided.  I think Sandro took the last shot and missed.

They return everyone.  Cale is nothing special.  Neither is McKnight or Rhodes.  But they are capable.  Romero has no offense and is an Osunniyi clone.  Sandro is a bricklayer.  But overall they are adequate and made better by Powell.  Plus they are huge with 5 seven footers on the roster.

Sounds like you may have a rosy prediction for Sunday.... 😄

1 hour ago, Westy03 said:

Hopefully half the students dont leave at halftime like last game.  What was up with that?

they only showed up for pizza and a sock cap.   no need to stay past halftime.  thats the problem with bribing the students.   of course the hope is they accidentally get hooked.  frankly i dont know what else to do.  slu is trying to get the students there.   

heck i come from the slu student days where it was me and bay area billiken and about 4 other guys in the student section.   so even a half empty student section looks good to me.

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

they only showed up for pizza and a sock cap.   no need to stay past halftime.  thats the problem with bribing the students.   of course the hope is they accidentally get hooked.  frankly i dont know what else to do.  slu is trying to get the students there.   

heck i come from the slu student days where it was me and bay area billiken and about 4 other guys in the student section.   so even a half empty student section looks good to me.

Think it had alot to do with the score and opponent. Don't think many people leave early during close games or ones that aren't against nobodies. FGCU didn't have the exodus of students I don't think. At least from what I saw. But you are correct. Our 2 or 3 rows of SLUnatics can make plenty of noise during lesser games like that.

14 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Think it had alot to do with the score and opponent. 

And weekday.

This isnt new.  A lot of schools gets students who love sports, SLU isnt one of them. It is what it is.  I still blame the people of st louis for not coming more than the students

SLU_Nick likes this