Thinking About The Weekend

mrjoelabs

With Myles being down the Seton Hall game suddenly is looking better. Of course we beat them with Myles last year, but the supporting cast was not as good.  Can't look past EW of course, but I think we kind of can...  I wonder if we hit 80 points again. If so, it will be the first time in a while we scored 80 in 3 straight. Someone needs to look that up..

The biggest positive so far is that Goodwin actually works well with Yuri..as opposed to last year when TI and Goodwin seemed to clash.  Goodwin and Yuri are in perfect sync together and Goodwin seems to have no problem letting Yuri bring the ball up.

If we only had that grad transfer Big we didn't get.... Our biggest challenge all year will be that post depth of course. Hargrove needs to play big once he gets going or we need to see Diarra.  I am not buying this KC at the 5 stuff...

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seton hall losing Powell may have slightly weakened them, but they’ve grit. When they were close with Stony Brook, they roared back to a 17 pt win. Slu needs to showcase the 40 minute defense that coach ford has stated. I believe coach ford can make us go the 40 against seton hall. Tomorrow will vindicate my thoughts.

1 hour ago, Ballingmeanthegradesfallin said:

Seton hall losing Powell may have slightly weakened them, but they’ve grit.

A little more than slightly. While absolutely a good team without, I’m not sure their even a T25 without him 

A10 Talk

@A10Talk

No games today....BUT, big week ahead of us:

25 VCU vs 22 LSU

Saint Joseph’s @ UConn

La Salle @ Penn

Richmond vs Vanderbilt

Rhode Island vs Alabama

La Salle vs Temple

St. Bonaventure vs Rutgers

Saint Joseph’s @ Loyola Chicago

Saint Louis vs 12 Seton Hall

9:38 AM · Nov 11, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

This weekend is a great chance for the A10 to pick up some key wins.

2000-2001 Season.  Beat east Carolina 90 to 54.  Then Cal 88 to 66.  Then Idaho 80-41.  Prior to that it was 1994-95 with UMKN, Creighton and Bethune-Cookman with a fourth in a row then against SMU.  There was a lot of scoring the prior year, Claggett's junior season, when we started out winning 19 of our first 20 and beign feature din Sports Illustrated..

I assume that was written yesterday because today Duquesne (NL) hosts Lamar (2 -0); the Bonnies (-1) are at Siena (1-1); Davidfson (-11.5) is at Charlotte (0-1); Americna (0-2) is at Geedubya (NL); and Northeastern (2-0) is at Umass (+2).  Davidson is the only game without ESPN+ coverage.

I hope the school is doing something to bring the students out on Sunday.  Anyone ever seen the Grand Canyon pregame party intros?  Seems like it creates an electric atmosphere for basketball and may drive younger fans to the games.  I believe they do this every game.  Saw this on the Valpo board where the main criticism was the same one I expect here - that their fans skew older and will not go for it.  

18 minutes ago, Taj79 said:

2000-2001 Season.  Beat east Carolina 90 to 54.  Then Cal 88 to 66.  Then Idaho 80-41.  Prior to that it was 1994-95 with UMKN, Creighton and Bethune-Cookman with a fourth in a row then against SMU.  There was a lot of scoring the prior year, Claggett's junior season, when we started out winning 19 of our first 20 and beign feature din Sports Illustrated..

Wow I wouldn't have thought that year.  East Carolina and Idaho i get. Amazing thing was Cal got 20 wins that year and we did that.  Perry must have gone off.  Thanks for finding that. 

1 hour ago, Billfan7 said:

I hope the school is doing something to bring the students out on Sunday.  Anyone ever seen the Grand Canyon pregame party intros?  Seems like it creates an electric atmosphere for basketball and may drive younger fans to the games.  I believe they do this every game.  Saw this on the Valpo board where the main criticism was the same one I expect here - that their fans skew older and will not go for it.  

Our student section has been tremendous so far, no reason to think it doesn't get better. There has been a noticeable difference in the "fun" factor during the regime change from the "Blue Crew" to the SLUnatics. The students seem way more into it. I think the hype will grow as the season does. 

I would like attendance of over 9,000 total in the 'Fetz on Sunday. 

CBFan and BilliKat like this

1 hour ago, Billfan7 said:

Wow wow wow! I’m 70+ and would be totally down with that before every game. Would definitely get fans in their seats for the start of the game.

Lets Party!

Show this to Andre. He will get it done. He already has the students mini choreographed before the games. Would need to put our own “name” on it. Can’t call it Havoc or Party, but our crackerjack marketing department could come up with something, don’t you think?

Where was he Saturday, by the way? Had to listen to Gus more than we normally do.

2 hours ago, Billfan7 said:

Grand Canyon is a cult. Also they offer academic credit for attending sporting events.

I lost interest in this at about two minutes.  I think you should work on getting the eastern lower and upper bowls filled every night with students first.  Plus is that the student section?  Show me the normal patrons and what they are doing as well. 

St. Louis, it's time to fill Chaifetz Arena and bring the home court advantage when the #Billikens host #12 Seton Hall on Sunday at 3 p.m. at @ChaifetzArena

Four Pack of 🎟️ starting at $30 with promo code FOUR
🔗 http://bit.ly/2PPp2Ud 

This is a good deal.  buy two get two free essentially. 

8 minutes ago, wgstl said:

St. Louis, it's time to fill Chaifetz Arena and bring the home court advantage when the #Billikens host #12 Seton Hall on Sunday at 3 p.m. at @ChaifetzArena

Four Pack of 🎟️ starting at $30 with promo code FOUR
🔗 http://bit.ly/2PPp2Ud 

This is a good deal.  buy two get two free essentially. 

Season ticket holders were contacted about purchasing additional, discounted lower bowl tickets, too.

4 hours ago, Ballingmeanthegradesfallin said:

Seton hall losing Powell may have slightly weakened them, but they’ve grit. When they were close with Stony Brook, they roared back to a 17 pt win. Slu needs to showcase the 40 minute defense that coach ford has stated. I believe coach ford can make us go the 40 against seton hall. Tomorrow will vindicate my thoughts.

Seton Hall has a lot of size - a near 7-footer, and two over 7-footers. The press will have to be effective and have to keep HF out of foul trouble. IF there is a game where we might need a few minutes from Diarra, just to have another big body out there, this might be it.

16 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Grand Canyon is a cult. Also they offer academic credit for attending sporting events.

Grand Canyon was a small nonprofit Baptist college for a few decades that became a for-profit college in 2004 because it was about to go under due to financial problems. They went public in 2008. Then, after rapid growth for a decade, they joined the NCAA and decided to go non-profit again. Their first attempt to go nonprofit was rejected by the Higher Learning Commission, but the second was accepted in 2018 because the HLC and IRS have been weakened by rule changes and budget cuts. But as of last week, the Dept. of Education said GCU will continue to be treated as a for-profit for purposes of federal financial aid programs; it didn't rule when it was approved by the IRS, HLC, and state of Arizona so GCU just went ahead as a nonprofit in the meantime. GCU will appeal the decision.

Here's how the conversion went: The for-profit entity (Grand Canyon Education, Inc.) sold its assets to a newly formed nonprofit (Grand Canyon University) for $875 million. The new nonprofit GCU signed a 15-year contract with the for-profit GCE to manage campus operations and took out a loan to finance the acquisition, which it repays through tuition income. GCE manages everything from IT to marketing to counseling to financial aid processing to recruiting. Furthermore, the CEO of GCE (Brian Mueller) is also the president of GCU. He didn't transition from one to the other during the school conversion - he holds both of these roles simultaneously. (Mueller has benefited tremendously from the rising stock price over the years, making at least $15 million from selling shares.) The separate entities have separate boards, both of which were fine with this arrangement.

One of the main drivers behind the conversion back to non-profit is that GCU would no longer have to pay property taxes on its 275-acre campus (GCE still has to pay property taxes on an office complex). GCU would also avoid regulations on employment and federal loans that apply to for-profit schools - although this is currently being held up by the DOE. 

Regardless of status, GCU continues to act like a for-profit entity, pursuing explosive growth by any means necessary. It has <20,000 full- and part-time students that attend classes at its Phoenix campus but it has another 70,000+ online-only students, and now claims to be the largest Christian college in the world based on a total enrollment of 90,000+. They're trying to boost the online school to over 100,000. GCU is currently battling lawsuits alleging that its recruiters committed fraud, lying about accreditation and students' future ability to apply their degrees and certifications in other states (notably, home states for online students). You don't need to go very deep on Google to see hundreds (thousands, maybe) of former students complaining that their degrees are worthless and that GCU is a scam.

So I don't think I'd call it a cult because a cult is characterized by a very tight social group defined by adherence to a belief system or individual or other goal. Here, you just have an institution masquerading as a nonprofit and behaving as a for-profit run by the same people, misleading students in aggressive recruiting efforts, and having given itself an additional veneer of legitimacy by joining NCAA D-I for athletics. The students are not believers as they would be in a cult; they're just stuck in a bad school that will give them a degree worth very little in the real world, and some of them are aware of this.

tl;dr - GCU is a complete scam that should have never been allowed in the NCAA, let alone D-I. Other schools should refuse to play them to send a message to the NCAA (I believe Arizona State has done this).

11 minutes ago, Pistol said:

So I don't think I'd call it a cult because a cult is characterized by a very tight social group defined by adherence to a belief system or individual or other goal. Here, you just have an institution masquerading as a nonprofit and behaving as a for-profit run by the same people, misleading students in aggressive recruiting efforts, and having given itself an additional veneer of legitimacy by joining NCAA D-I for athletics. The students are not believers as they would be in a cult; they're just stuck in a bad school that will give them a degree worth very little in the real world, and some of them are aware of this.

Yeah, not a cult, but to 05's point, there's always been something a little off about the "school spirit" depicted in the videos I've seen.

It has a forced feel to it, like the North Korean "mourners" after Kim Jong-Il died.

Pistol and rgbilliken like this