What is the Story on Hargrove

Billboy1

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Billboy1 said:

Has anybody heard anything on him? Hurt, considering transfer, etc.

The story is he’s a frosh who relied heavily on just being super athletic in high school. That’s it. 

Have patience. It is the beginning of his freshman year. He will get the hang of how he fits in and what he needs to do and will be a very good player for us.In many past years he would have been immediately thrown into the fire. With our depth, Ford has the ability to bring him along at the pace Ford thinks is best for his development and the team.

RealTalk likes this

3 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Pretty sure Ford just doesn’t want to embarrass the competition.

They are kicking ass and taking names with a 10 man roster. Imagine what they would do if the threw a freak athlete into the mix!

It’s actually pretty nice of Ford and shows great maturity on Hargrove’s part.

This is a true and good take

14 minutes ago, SLU_Lax said:

He is going to be a star. He led his team through the State tournament and to East St. Louis’s first ever State Title. 

We are lucky to have him and he is putting in the work he needs to. 

I agree. I saw him play several times when he was a sophomore and Tillman was a senior. He was always better their best player. He has talent, desire and attitude. He will be a good player or us and has the tools to be a shut down defender.

prebilliken likes this

First, it is rare for a team to play deeper than about 9 players.  A few guys have to sit.  So to get Hargrove minutes who are you going to sit?  He is not a guard, and not really a big.  So who do you sit Thatch? Jimerson? Perkins?   

My guess he needs time to learn how to play in a college system.  As RM always said, you need to know how to play defense before you see the floor.  

As long as he and Ford have come to an understanding what needs to be accomplished, I'm going to believe he's ok with what's taking place right now. I'm sure he'd love to be logging more game time, but he might also understand what he needs to work on. From all we've heard he has an all in Team Blue attitude, there are just some basics that need to be nailed down. Let's not create drama where there is none. 

slufanskip likes this

1 hour ago, kmbilliken said:

Have patience. It is the beginning of his freshman year. He will get the hang of how he fits in and what he needs to do and will be a very good player for us.In many past years he would have been immediately thrown into the fire. With our depth, Ford has the ability to bring him along at the pace Ford thinks is best for his development and the team.

Mean while here's hoping he's hitting the books and enjoying campus life. He can be legitimately told that we are way deep and he has a future in years to come.

Have patience with Hargrove. When he figures out his role and how to do things within Ford's system, his entrance into active play will be devastating to the opposition, believe me there. I really like this kid and his potential, he will NOT disappoint, he is solid as a rock.

I think Hargrove is going to log considerable minutes and be a valuable contributor this year. He is athletic and crazy talented, people in the know, including Ford, beam about who is as a person as well. The season is long and hard, he is getting into the system, his number is going to be called and we are going to need him and I can't wait to watch him play. 

After two games, which is not even a small sample size, we have 10 players averaging 10.0 or more minutes.  It will be very, very, difficult to keep up that ratio, of 10 players with double digit minutes.  There will be several players who are not happy with their minutes as the season progresses.  At least I hope so.  So goes life.  If you don't like your minutes, fight for more playing time in practice.  

Some one told me that TJ had 4 different head coaches in high school if true that has to have an impact on his development.  I talked with an ex Billiken player about this and was told that if he had gone through 4 head coaches in high school he was not sure if he would have even gotten a schollie here.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Some one told me that TJ had 4 different head coaches in high school if true that has to have an impact on his development.  I talked with an ex Billiken player about this and was told that if he had gone through 4 head coaches in high school he was not sure if he would have even gotten a schollie here.

He actually had 5.

Hargrove is the opposite of Gordon.  I'm not worried about his commitment to the team.  We have a couple players in the rotation who are candidates for long term benchings.  If Hargrove keeps working he'll see some time.

Watched a lot of basketball over this weekend so I don't remember who said what but one commentator, a former player/coach said something like most coaches develop a starting five complimented by a sixth man.  They then have maybe one other guy to spell the guards and one for the bigs.  So that is an eight-man rotation tops.  We are at 10 and Hargrove is 11.  Give it time.  I think he might be a freak athlete who used that to dominate in high school.  Go where he wanted, did what he wanted.  Given his poor coaching roster (so I'm told) he might be finding how that don't work at this level.  He'll be fine.  I hear he's a great kid.

3 hours ago, cheeseman said:

Yes. But high school coaches dont have the impact they used to have with the rise of AAU ball. Did he have different coaches there too?

NextYearBill likes this