GDT: Valpo

gobillsgo

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Old guy said:

By what I have read, there was one point in the game that Valpo tied or came near a tie with about 5 minutes left in the game. I was not there and do not know how this was done, but team blue went back and built their lead back to 11 pts. before the end.

Jacobs was fouled on a three point shot and hit two of them at the 3:40 mark to stretch the lead to 4. Our ability to take the lead out to double figures again was aided by the fact that Valpo missed its final 7 FTs over the last 6:09. They cut it to one at 6:52 but blew their chance to steal a road win by missing FTs. 

2 hours ago, almaman said:

My fear with Yuri is the better players in A-10 will thwart the style we've seen so far. He seems smart enough to just reign it end rather than not try what he can't do. It ain't really a fear just looking for something. I think we have a prodigy for real.

I share that concern, but suspect with time he will adapt.  Duquesne will be an interesting matchup.

15 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Jacobs was fouled on a three point shot and hit two of them at the 3:40 mark to stretch the lead to 4. Our ability to take the lead out to double figures again was aided by the fact that Valpo missed its final 7 FTs over the last 6:09. They cut it to one at 6:52 but blew their chance to steal a road win by missing FTs. 

I’m wondering how much of those misses were from being just tired from dealing with our D. With our short bench in previous years, we were there, too

15 hours ago, almaman said:

My fear with Yuri is the better players in A-10 will thwart the style we've seen so far. He seems smart enough to just reign it end rather than not try what he can't do. It ain't really a fear just looking for something. I think we have a prodigy for real.

How are they going to thwart good passing and decision making? I don't buy the premise that he is frequently out of control...

16 hours ago, almaman said:

Have no fear. Yurimania will rock and roll in the A10. 

• 2 months later...
On 11/9/2019 at 9:12 PM, Sheltiedave said:

Yea, Ford has to get the front of the rotation well integrated before he can invest heavy time in the back end of the rotation.

He is really, really trying to get Bell in game shape, and Bell is working his ass off trying to get there, but at 1:30 into the second half, Bell was at the block for a free throw mouth breathing like a locomotive.

I hope Hargrove is doing a Rocky routine on the weights, and being a dervish in practice, because we need him to claw out 10-15 mpg by the end of the season.

Five key points from this game...

1) Welcome to D1, D Jacobs! Coming out parties are always fun,  and your free throws and early scoring fired us up early and steadied us late.

2) Goodwin really showed added speed and strength, and good decision making, have substantially to his game. When Collins is in, I love how he looks to make primo dishes in the interior.

3) Collins really sought to put his stamp on the game on defense. Playing against a pg who clearly was a step faster, he tried to body him into help, he harried him in the backcourt, and he wisely played off him at the three pt line. He switched well, and was a very effective pest and rebounded well. 

4) Despite getting punched in the mouth and losing almost all their lead, everyone maintained their composure, and we closed out the game while minimizing turnovers, hitting most free throws, and playing solid d.

5) Did we only have four or five hero ball plays? The fewer, the better. Goodwin had the charge and the travel where he was fouled, and Collins had his 3/4 ill advised bull rushes. Not many, so good.

this is where THE LOCOMOTIVE got his name

6 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

this is where THE LOCOMOTIVE got his name

nowhere in that post does it say anything about 40 minutes a game.   hmmmmmmm revisionist history?

HenryB likes this