GDT: Valpo

gobillsgo

23 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I am sure another issue with "giving away" those open seats is the fact those are mostly all inclusive seats.   The ushers on my side guard the all inclusive seats like hawks.  Everyone that tries to sit in them has to present their tickets and are told to go back to their seats every time.

This is no joke.

Me and my wife laugh about it during the games.

The Usher will spot someone coming down the aisle and swoops in faster than a no look pass from Yurriamania.

Its pretty funny actually.

The problem is that the people who sneak down ge my greedy. If they would try to love all the way down they’d be ok it’s when they go for glory that it fails.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You’re talking to one of the most foul mouthed a$$holes this side of the Mississippi. I have no problem criticizing but it’s just an odd way to talk about a freshman who’s playing his second college basketball game. It feels personal and I want to understand his motive. 

Being foul-mouthed doesn't necessarily mean you have a thick skin yourself.  I've seen freshmen get talked about in harsher terms than SheltieDave has used to describe Bell's conditioning but I don't remember MBMs pushing back so strongly.  I doubt Bell himself would be as bothered if Sheltie made the same comments to his face.

HoosierPal likes this

My motive is being vividly descriptive. Other posters have written about Bell being in game shape, maybe not realizing that there is rec league, D2, low D1, high D1, and pros in shape.

Bell catches my interest multiple ways. He is a great story, a great project, his position is our greatest developmental need, and if Ford succeeds with him we could dance this year; at this moment in time there is no player on the team whose forecasted output by some vocal fans diverges more widely from reality than his.

Other posters took exception to me noting he was going to be a a foul machine and having minutes precluded due to his conditioning. One suggested he would be at 15 minutes, another forecasted 8/8.

We are not writing for the Post, we are writing for a forum. With no allegorical content, and no style from anyone here, this forum would read like Tigerboard, and things truly would bite the lemon.

1 hour ago, Sheltiedave said:

I missed it, did Bell almost get a double double last night- eight boards and. Eight points?

In an alternate reality, he played seven minutes, had 2 points, 2 offensive rebounds, 2 fouls, on a night where we desperately needed 15 shutdown defense minutes out of him.

Don’t bother believing me, look at the box score, review the analytics, and check out your TiVo or tape of the FSM broadcast. Look at the start of the second half, and go 1:22 into the half, when Bell fouls the Valpo big, and he is at the block, badly winded. You may not believe it, but Ford did. Ford subbed him.

Ford has him on the Josh Harrelson program, but it is way early to call the progress a success story on the b-ball court.

The two wrinkles the team needs to utilize are the high/low pitch, which Collins and French did once to perfection, and developing the off ball screens to pop the 3 pt shooters, as teams now have tape and know not to leave the shooters unattended.

I agree with the off ball screens to free up shooters. I mentioned it to the friend I was with at the game. We don't screen a lot on or off ball. 

14 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Being foul-mouthed doesn't necessarily mean you have a thick skin yourself.  I've seen freshmen get talked about in harsher terms than SheltieDave has used to describe Bell's conditioning but I don't remember MBMs pushing back so strongly.  I doubt Bell himself would be as bothered if Sheltie made the same comments to his face.

You missed my point. Don't know why you're questioning my thick skin or lack thereof, nor do I give a sh!t. I don't care what SheltieDave is saying, I want to know why it seems like it's a personal issue with Bell. What's his motive?

I understand why we play Bell and agree with it. We need another force inside and he is our best shot at developing one. However, for the first two games we are a better team without him on the floor. Hopefully that will turn around at some point this year, but until then that will be limiting his minutes played besides any foul and game shape issues.

2 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

I missed it, did Bell almost get a double double last night- eight boards and. Eight points?

In an alternate reality, he played seven minutes, had 2 points, 2 offensive rebounds, 2 fouls, on a night where we desperately needed 15 shutdown defense minutes out of him.

Don’t bother believing me, look at the box score, review the analytics, and check out your TiVo or tape of the FSM broadcast. Look at the start of the second half, and go 1:22 into the half, when Bell fouls the Valpo big, and he is at the block, badly winded. You may not believe it, but Ford did. Ford subbed him.

Ford has him on the Josh Harrelson program, but it is way early to call the progress a success story on the b-ball court.

The two wrinkles the team needs to utilize are the high/low pitch, which Collins and French did once to perfection, and developing the off ball screens to pop the 3 pt shooters, as teams now have tape and know not to leave the shooters unattended.

Your cheap shots at Bell are disgusting... grow up...

37 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Valpo board really complaining about the refs is pretty funny.

I looked up in the second and Valpo had shot 31 free throws. 
The Bills 13.

Thats crazy. 
It’s not like the Bills are some jump shooting team who doesn’t bang inside.

They draw fouls better than most teams, to be out free throwed like that is insane.

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I don’t think he has a problem with Bell. Sheltie is just pointing out he isn’t in good enough shape to play significant minutes, yet. That is a fact and not a shot.  He was never going to be able to play the minutes this early that some were acting like he would.

it is amazing that Bell has himself in the shape he is in currently. He has come a very long way and should be very proud of himself.

Highmark gave Bell high character points last night and said he'll be an asset down the road. This kid has worked hard and made a big commitment to becoming a BB player. Let's go easy on him and applaud all he's accomplished to get where he is. 

On another note it would be nice to see some off ball screens to get our shooters open rather than them having to create their own space. Especially true for Jimerson. Not saying he can't create space on his own, but last night I got the feeling Valpo was told don't let this guy find his stroke. He was pretty much covered whenever he had the ball. 

38 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Your cheap shots at Bell are disgusting... grow up...

Sheltie took no cheap shot.  His analysis was spot on - and not unfair. 

If anyone wants to talk about cheap shots, how about the abuse this Board gave  Welmer and the wash basin, gave to Neufeld,...   How about this Board last year saying Jacobs is weak, clueless, already recruited over...

Billiken Rich likes this

6 hours ago, slu72 said:

Key Comments from Highmark last night: 

1.) French has yet to learn how to play when he's in foul trouble. He can do it by cutting back on the aggressive nature. Lose the battle but win the war. 

2.) Yurmaniai made FR mistakes, but SLU's better with him in the game because he pushes the action. 

3.) JGood showing why he was highly recruited; enough said

It will be hard for any of us to not have JGood in our top 5 Billikens ever by the end of his career. He is so much fun to watch.

1 hour ago, Clock_Tower said:

Sheltie took no cheap shot.  His analysis was spot on - and not unfair. 

If anyone wants to talk about cheap shots, how about the abuse this Board gave  Welmer and the wash basin, gave to Neufeld,...   How about this Board last year saying Jacobs is weak, clueless, already recruited over...

Saying he was breathing like a locomotive after 1:30 is a cheap shot and a flat out lie... his act is getting old....unreal that a grown man feels compelled to attack an 18 year old after two games...oh, and this is the same loser who referred to him as a heavy footed troll before the first game...

Sheltiedave likes this

3 hours ago, Sheltiedave said:

My motive is being vividly descriptive. Other posters have written about Bell being in game shape, maybe not realizing that there is rec league, D2, low D1, high D1, and pros in shape.

Bell catches my interest multiple ways. He is a great story, a great project, his position is our greatest developmental need, and if Ford succeeds with him we could dance this year; at this moment in time there is no player on the team whose forecasted output by some vocal fans diverges more widely from reality than his.

Other posters took exception to me noting he was going to be a a foul machine and having minutes precluded due to his conditioning. One suggested he would be at 15 minutes, another forecasted 8/8.

We are not writing for the Post, we are writing for a forum. With no allegorical content, and no style from anyone here, this forum would read like Tigerboard, and things truly would bite the lemon.

@Sheltiedave

Take insults thrown your way from the point of view of who is insulting you. Henry B should be ignored and left alone. Pay no attention to him.

2 minutes ago, Old guy said:

@Sheltiedave

Take insults thrown your way from the point of view of who is insulting you. Henry B should be ignored and left alone. Pay no attention to him.

Sheltie has been around a long time. He knows to have thick skin and I'm sure the disagreements or insults don't bother him. 

I thought his wording was a little harsh also but by comparison to what's been said many times on this board it wasn't really all that bad. However, I think his point is correct. Anyone who thinks Jimmy Bell doesn't have a long way to go to get in great basketball shape is just not watching. This isn't to discount the work he's already done, nor is it a knock on his potential. Just a statement on where he is right now

SLU_Lax likes this

4 hours ago, David King said:

NFL trashed their rules both times a team left? NBA holds a 43 year grudge? I wonder if projected ticket revenue was factored in?

The rules were followed for when the Cardinals moved - that was a mistake by the powers to be in StL.  Yes they trashed their rules for the Rams move to LA.  The ticket projections made for LA have been wildly over estimated and the team is not making the kind of money they had thought.  I read an article the other day about how the Chargers are doing better.  Bottom line while the leaders of the NFL believe they have to have a presence in LA it turns out that LA doesn't care if they have a presence.  They are no better off as a league now then when the Rams were in StL.  They have always had pre and post games in LA whether a team was there or not.

4 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

"Puffing like a locomotive" is tame compared to how athletes actually talk to each other.  I get the sense that people who sensitive to relatively tame observations either didn't play sports in high school or played 40 years ago.  There may be a gap in communication style that just can't be bridged.

Puffing like a locomotive is a lie... 

4 hours ago, Brighton said:

The Big Red move was all on us. Thanks Vince Schoemel.

however, we were in line for an expansion team until Paul Tagliabue gave it to Jacksonville. The NFL never acted in good faith with us.

Once again that was our fault.  We  had two competing ownership groups - one had the money and the other had the dome lease.  Neither would give in nor would they join forces.  The NFL actually delayed the assigning of the franchise for us for a year but we still could not get our act together - rich guys always wanting what they want regardless of  the impact on the community.  The NFL was fair that time.  It was the last time that they screwed us.  

4 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

I am sure another issue with "giving away" those open seats is the fact those are mostly all inclusive seats.   The ushers on my side guard the all inclusive seats like hawks.  Everyone that tries to sit in them has to present their tickets and are told to go back to their seats every time.

Good point!

3 hours ago, billikenfan05 said:

Valpo board really complaining about the refs is pretty funny.

That is crazy.  They shot like 3 times the free throws that we did - one of the reasons they were still in the game late.  Had this game gone the way most home games go they would have been blown out.

34 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

Puffing like a locomotive is a lie... 

OK, have you now seen the FSM telecast, have you seen the specific free throw lineup at 18:38 left in the second half, and if you can say yes to the first two questions, please describe Bell’s respiratory status.

My SLU degreed RT friend said “Wow, he is big, and he is a mouth breathing locomotive. Time for a seat.”

I would like to hear your assessment.

2 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

OK, have you now seen the FSM telecast, have you seen the specific free throw lineup at 18:38 left in the second half, and if you can say yes to the first two questions, please describe Bell’s respiratory status.

My SLU degreed RT friend said “Wow, he is big, and he is a mouth breathing locomotive. Time for a seat.”

I would like to hear your assessment.

WHATS THE MOTIVE HERE?