GDT: Valpo

gobillsgo

34 minutes ago, CBFan said:

It is a shame that so many did not show up and so many left early and did not applaud our team on their way off the floor.

I agree. About the only reason I'd want to live in St Louis again is so I could have season tickets to Billikens games, and possibly attend a few Cardinals games. No wonder the city doesn't have pro football or baseball.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, David King said:

I agree. About the only reason I'd want to live in St Louis again is so I could have season tickets to Billikens games, and possibly attend a few Cardinals games. No wonder the city doesn't have pro football or baseball.

David you mean pro basketball, we have a very good pro baseball team, the Cards.

Wasn't really evident last night but a couple of shots still show empties in the lower bowl on the bench side. What a waste of great seats. As I understand it those are all sold seats. They should be put to use. PD and local media are giving us more coverage. Would like to see Seton Hall approach 9000. 

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

1 hour ago, David King said:

I am confused by that statement as well. Billiken basketball games alone should be enough to live in St. Louis. If not, obviously you are not a hockey fan to appreciate the Stanley Cup Champions - St Louis Blues.  And yes, we have a baseball team - this year’s playoff baseball team which made it to “final four” before losing to the eventual World Series Chanps.  And yes, no NFL football but professional football and soccer are both on their way.  And if you did move back to St. Louis, possibly you would enjoy other aspects of St. Louis  as I do with my season tickets to the Muny and frequent visits to the Fox Theater, together with other arts venues and restaurants.  Maybe not. Enjoy. 

dlarry likes this

You apparently bought into the false national narrative that the NFL created to falsely justify the moving of the Rams to LA.  

dlarry likes this

Oh come on. It's the same way in 90% of regular season sporting events around the country

Box and Won likes this

38 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Good win over a decent team. Maybe we can get another win and not take an uncalled for shot at jimmy bell

I missed it, did Bell almost get a double double last night- eight boards and. Eight points?

In an alternate reality, he played seven minutes, had 2 points, 2 offensive rebounds, 2 fouls, on a night where we desperately needed 15 shutdown defense minutes out of him.

Don’t bother believing me, look at the box score, review the analytics, and check out your TiVo or tape of the FSM broadcast. Look at the start of the second half, and go 1:22 into the half, when Bell fouls the Valpo big, and he is at the block, badly winded. You may not believe it, but Ford did. Ford subbed him.

Ford has him on the Josh Harrelson program, but it is way early to call the progress a success story on the b-ball court.

The two wrinkles the team needs to utilize are the high/low pitch, which Collins and French did once to perfection, and developing the off ball screens to pop the 3 pt shooters, as teams now have tape and know not to leave the shooters unattended.

brianstl and Clock_Tower like this

4 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

I missed it, did Bell almost get a double double last night- eight boards and. Eight points?

In an alternate reality, he played seven minutes, had 2 points, 2 offensive rebounds, 2 fouls, on a night where we desperately needed 15 shutdown defense minutes out of him.

Don’t bother believing me, look at the box score, review the analytics, and check out your TiVo or tape of the FSM broadcast. Look at the start of the second half, and go 1:22 into the half, when Bell fouls the Valpo big, and he is at the block, badly winded. You may not believe it, but Ford did. Ford subbed him.

Ford has him on the Josh Harrelson program, but it is way early to call the progress a success story on the b-ball court.

The two wrinkles the team needs to utilize are the high/low pitch, which Collins and French did once to perfection, and developing the off ball screens to pop the 3 pt shooters, as teams now have tape and know not to leave the shooters unattended.

I just want to understand why you have a problem with Bell. What’s your motive for being so critical? He’s a freshman with a college ready body who has all the physical tools to compete in the post. He obviously needs to shed some more weight and improve conditioning. He’s shown the discipline to lose weight and I can’t see any reason to be so negative about his progress so far. It’s not like he’s Brett fkn Jolly. 

59 minutes ago, Clock_Tower said:

I am confused by that statement as well. Billiken basketball games alone should be enough to live in St. Louis. If not, obviously you are not a hockey fan to appreciate the Stanley Cup Champions - St Louis Blues.  And yes, we have a baseball team - this year’s playoff baseball team which made it to “final four” before losing to the eventual World Series Chanps.  And yes, no NFL football but professional football and soccer are both on their way.  And if you did move back to St. Louis, possibly you would enjoy other aspects of St. Louis  as I do with my season tickets to the Muny and frequent visits to the Fox Theater, together with other arts venues and restaurants.  Maybe not. Enjoy. 

St Louis is a nice city, and I have plenty of fond memories growing up there. I prefer where I live now due mostly to geography. I just don't understand how a city with a metro population of almost 3 million and/or basketball.

18 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Right, because Billikens fans are why the NFL trashed their rules to move elsewhere and the NBA still holds a grudge from the ABA era. No wonder this country is being held hostage by the braindead.

The only reason the Hawks left StL was because Ben Kerner the owner made his living from the team and he saw salaries about to blow up in the NBA and he simply did not want to deal with it.  Now coupled with him being old and his family not interested in running the team it was easy for him to sell to AtL.  Had the Hawks stayed, they would probably still be here.  The ABA thing was all about money - the owners of the Spirit - out of towners - made a sweetheart deal to not go to the NBA.  In fact it has been called the best deal in professional sports history - they get a share of the TV revenue for as long as the NBA or its replacement exists.

23 minutes ago, Brighton said:

Right, because Billikens fans are why the NFL trashed their rules to move elsewhere and the NBA still holds a grudge from the ABA era. No wonder this country is being held hostage by the braindead.

NFL trashed their rules both times a team left? NBA holds a 43 year grudge? I wonder if projected ticket revenue was factored in?

2 hours ago, 3star_recruit said:

Goodwin was holding back in the preseason.  I never took into account how improving his speed could take his game to another level.  He's much more adept at creating his own shot this year and shooting well over 50% from 2 point range. 

If Goodwin's going to play like that it doesn't matter what his free throw percentage is.  This is the first-team All-Conference player the preseason forecasts thought he would be last year.

If Goodwin's FT% matches his 3FG%, as it does today, we are good.  (Yeah, yeah, two games, two data points....)

23 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I just want to understand why you have a problem with Bell. What’s your motive for being so critical? He’s a freshman with a college ready body who has all the physical tools to compete in the post. He obviously needs to shed some more weight and improve conditioning. He’s shown the discipline to lose weight and I can’t see any reason to be so negative about his progress so far. It’s not like he’s Brett fkn Jolly. 

I don’t think he has a problem with Bell. Sheltie is just pointing out he isn’t in good enough shape to play significant minutes, yet. That is a fact and not a shot.  He was never going to be able to play the minutes this early that some were acting like he would.

it is amazing that Bell has himself in the shape he is in currently. He has come a very long way and should be very proud of himself.

41 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

So if a player doesnt get nearly a double double in his first 2 college games we should bash him at every opportunity? get off the kid's back

1 minute ago, brianstl said:

I don’t think he has a problem with Bell. Sheltie is just pointing out he isn’t in good enough shape to play significant minutes, yet. That is a fact and not a shot.  He was never going to be able to play the minutes this early that some were acting like he would.

it is amazing that Bell has himself in the shape he is in currently. He has come a very long way and should be very proud of himself.

I don’t think anyone has a problem with making that point. If Dave had made that point the way you did people wouldnt be p!ssed. The tone of his posts are almost insulting to JBJ.  

Zink, GBL_Bills and Cincybill like this

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Wasn't really evident last night but a couple of shots still show empties in the lower bowl on the bench side. What a waste of great seats. As I understand it those are all sold seats. They should be put to use. PD and local media are giving us more coverage. Would like to see Seton Hall approach 9000. 

I am sure another issue with "giving away" those open seats is the fact those are mostly all inclusive seats.   The ushers on my side guard the all inclusive seats like hawks.  Everyone that tries to sit in them has to present their tickets and are told to go back to their seats every time.

9 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

I don’t think anyone has a problem with making that point. If Dave had made that point the way you did people wouldnt be p!ssed. The tone of his posts are almost insulting to JBJ.  

agree 05,  there is no reason to be insulting to the players, ford thinks he is ready for the minutes he gets. if he was a dominant big from the start he likely would be on a power five team. critique and criticism are not the same and some on this board dont know the difference

Cincybill likes this

10 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

"Puffing like a locomotive" is tame compared to how athletes actually talk to each other.  I get the sense that people who sensitive to relatively tame observations either didn't play sports in high school or played 40 years ago.  There may be a gap in communication style that just can't be bridged.

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

"Puffing like a locomotive" is tame compared to how athletes actually talk to each other.  I get the sense that people who sensitive to relatively tame observations either didn't play sports in high school or played 40 years ago.  There may be a gap in communication style that just can't be bridged.

You’re talking to one of the most foul mouthed a$$holes this side of the Mississippi. I have no problem criticizing but it’s just an odd way to talk about a freshman who’s playing his second college basketball game. It feels personal and I want to understand his motive. 

Zink and dennis_w like this