GDT: Valpo

gobillsgo

5 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Where did you get that turnover number from?  Final box score has SLU w/ 16 and Valpo w/ 19 TOs for the game.

My mistake. I read the box wrong at that moment. Must've been looking at the next column over, fouls. 16 is higher than I'd want, but not that bad.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

Has someone seen THJr in practice?  Still scratching my head why he hasn’t seen a minute of playing time yet.  Is there something I don’t know or what?

Yea, Ford has to get the front of the rotation well integrated before he can invest heavy time in the back end of the rotation.

He is really, really trying to get Bell in game shape, and Bell is working his ass off trying to get there, but at 1:30 into the second half, Bell was at the block for a free throw mouth breathing like a locomotive.

I hope Hargrove is doing a Rocky routine on the weights, and being a dervish in practice, because we need him to claw out 10-15 mpg by the end of the season.

Five key points from this game...

1) Welcome to D1, D Jacobs! Coming out parties are always fun,  and your free throws and early scoring fired us up early and steadied us late.

2) Goodwin really showed added speed and strength, and good decision making, have substantially to his game. When Collins is in, I love how he looks to make primo dishes in the interior.

3) Collins really sought to put his stamp on the game on defense. Playing against a pg who clearly was a step faster, he tried to body him into help, he harried him in the backcourt, and he wisely played off him at the three pt line. He switched well, and was a very effective pest and rebounded well. 

4) Despite getting punched in the mouth and losing almost all their lead, everyone maintained their composure, and we closed out the game while minimizing turnovers, hitting most free throws, and playing solid d.

5) Did we only have four or five hero ball plays? The fewer, the better. Goodwin had the charge and the travel where he was fouled, and Collins had his 3/4 ill advised bull rushes. Not many, so good.

3 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Yea, Ford has to get the front of the rotation well integrated before he can invest heavy time in the back end of the rotation.

He is really, really trying to get Bell in game shape, and Bell is working his ass off trying to get there, but at 1:30 into the second half, Bell was at the block for a free throw mouth breathing like a locomotive.

I hope Hargrove is doing a Rocky routine on the weights, and being a dervish in practice, because we need him to claw out 10-15 mpg by the end of the season.

Five key points from this game...

1) Welcome to D1, D Jacobs! Coming out parties are always fun,  and your free throws and early scoring fired us up early and steadied us late.

2) Goodwin really showed added speed and strength, and good decision making, have substantially to his game. When Collins is in, I love how he looks to make primo dishes in the interior.

3) Collins really sought to put his stamp on the game on defense. Playing against a pg who clearly was a step faster, he tried to body him into help, he harried him in the backcourt, and he wisely played off him at the three pt line. He switched well, and was a very effective pest and rebounded well. 

4) Despite getting punched in the mouth and losing almost all their lead, everyone maintained their composure, and we closed out the game while minimizing turnovers, hitting most free throws, and playing solid d.

5) Did we only have four or five hero ball plays? The fewer, the better. Goodwin had the charge and the travel where he was fouled, and Collins had his 3/4 ill advised bull rushes. Not many, so good.

Just stop the Bell BS...

billikenbill likes this

39 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Ford said we played intermittent stretches of good and bad basketball. Couldn't get in a flow in the second half.

They drew up plays for Goodwin, especially as French was struggling with foul trouble.

He told Jacobs "You need to get me 15 points tonight" before the game. Said he didn't care how he did it.

"I love Yuri Collins...I'm hard on Yuri Collins. He made a lot of great plays tonight and a lot of plays that make you scratch your head. He was trying to score it more tonight than he did in practice so you want to stick with what you do in practice. But he has the ability to make plays other people can't make. He can get from A to B, make passes. He's gonna be fine, but with freshmen, it's like a rollercoaster." - He is indeed hard on Yuri Collins.

"We're still figuring out rotations, we're playing a lot of people. Right now, we have to figure out how to play better in the second half."

There was one moment in the 2nd half w/ Yuri where he made a poor play and Ford was on the court yelling at him. Then a few minutes later when he came out Ford put his arm around him and talked to him. A bit of Coach discipline then soften it up with some Coach love

Without the benefit of replay it’s hard to tell how many of the FTs Valpo deserved.

What I did see was that at one point the free throws were 31-13 in favor of Valpo. I’m not saying the Bills weren’t fouling but I have a hard time believing the free throws disparity is that big.

It definitely made an other wise entertains game hard to watch. 

Westy03 likes this

26 minutes ago, EssEllYou said:

Goodwin looking like a triple-double threat again. Cant wait to see another this season. It will happen. 

seems likely. for some nutty reason I thought he may play a few less minutes this season since we are so deep but that seems nuts now> Ford also said JG addressed squad at TO when lead was narrowed and said this is we are about that it was time to nail it down and they did. 

billikenbill likes this

Key Comments from Highmark last night: 

1.) French has yet to learn how to play when he's in foul trouble. He can do it by cutting back on the aggressive nature. Lose the battle but win the war. 

2.) Yurmaniai made FR mistakes, but SLU's better with him in the game because he pushes the action. 

3.) JGood showing why he was highly recruited; enough said

What a fun game to be at again.  It is a shame that so many did not show up and so many left early and did not applaud our team on their way off the floor.  I now sit right over the tunnel and at least everyone near the tunnel stayed and stood up and cheered the team off the floor.

The Jacobs coming out party was nice and he showed us why we were so excited about him choosing SLU.  He shot well and attacked the basket.  Jacobs does not have the Goodwin or French intense look on his face and I look forward to seeing Jacobs being a little more comfortable and seeing him have a 30 plus point night.

Jordan Goodwin looked like a man among boys opposing his will on the visitors.  He played 38 minutes and we needed him for all 38 minutes.  His 2 missed free throws was the only blemish on a great night he had to be tired.

KC Hankton played hard and was a solid contributor subbing for French.  He played 22 minutes and was 2 of 3 from the line and had 8 points.  Ford had set up a great play for KC with a great pick that got KC wide open for a 3 he missed.  I like that our coach looks at KC for far more than just a fill in for French.

Yuri Collins for the first 2 games is a solid contributor.  Yuri got assigned to chase Sackey and he was a total pest.  Sackey probably had Yuri nightmares last night.  Collins fearlessly attacked the basket on the offensive end and after several missed shots finally got them to fall.  Yuri already has the French and Goodwin attitude and I like that.  Yuri must shoot free throws better he looked bad at the line and I do not get it.

Jimerson did not shoot well but he played hard and showed once again he is more than a shooter.

Jimmy Bell is too timid and needs to put a squeeze on that ball after a rebound with those big arms.  He did get his first collegiate basket but he is work in progress and has to get experience because we must have another big.

In my opinion our depth at the guard position is the best and deepest in the A10.

Zink, David King and Spoon-Balls like this

Goodwin was holding back in the preseason.  I never took into account how improving his speed could take his game to another level.  He's much more adept at creating his own shot this year and shooting well over 50% from 2 point range. 

If Goodwin's going to play like that it doesn't matter what his free throw percentage is.  This is the first-team All-Conference player the preseason forecasts thought he would be last year.

SLU_Nick and CBFan like this

One more thing the student section was almost full again.  The young people for 2 games now are in to it and were rewarded with 2 nice wins.

I enjoy watching our players going into the student section after the game to celebrate with their peers.