GDT: Valpo

gobillsgo

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goodwin finished with 22 points, 9 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, and a block. Had 5 turnovers, unfortunately, and I think 4 were in the second half. Man, does he fill out a stat sheet.

Collins had 5 assists, giving him 14 through his first 2 games. He played 30 minutes tonight. His percentages aren't great, especially from the FT line, but he's also got 17 points in 2 games. SLU's PG of the future has arrived.

Jacobs had himself a coming out party. 20 points on 5-8 from the field, 2-3 from 3, and 8-11 from the line. 3 rebounds, 2 steals, an assist, and a block. 15 career points heading into tonight.

Not the best night for French and Thatch. French still managed to finish with 7 and 8.

1 minute ago, slu72 said:

First thought: We won a tough game in that we had to play long stretches w/o two of our best. Guys stepped up. But D has to improve. 

Refs were awful, as usual, reffed the game like it was Illinois High School Association Class 1A, destroyed the rhythm and tempo of the game.  These zebras don't seem to understand we aren't watching these games to watch them.

4 minutes ago, slu72 said:

First thought: We won a tough game in that we had to play long stretches w/o two of our best. Guys stepped up. But D has to improve. 

2 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Ugly finish but the guys figured out a way to get it done without French on the floor. Needless to say this won't get it done against Seton Hall. The guys have one more game to figure things out. 

Both well said. I also think how tight a game is being called is going to be a big factor for French in particular. He's a marked man if they're blowing the whistle and we just don't go very deep after him in the frontcourt.

You've probably heard the adage that if you make more free throws than your opponent attempts, you'll probably win.  Valpo put themselves in position to accomplish that, but they missed too many free throws.  Valpo went 20-35, and the Bills went 15-26.  26>20.  However, had Valpo shot really well from the line — if they had made 7 more — 27-35 for 77.1%, they likely would have won the game.  Besides the 7 additional points, they may not have had to foul the Bills purposely and the Bills would have been something like 11-18.  Assuming (and I know that's an iffy proposition) the Bills don't make up those four points elsewhere, we could be looking at overtime.

I think it's fair to think, though, that the way the Bills wear opponents down contributed at least a little to Valpo's poor FT shooting in the 2nd half (when Valpo went just 4-10).

8 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Ugly finish but the guys figured out a way to get it done without French on the floor. Needless to say this won't get it done against Seton Hall. The guys have one more game to figure things out. 

Although it doesn't look like Seton Hall is going to have Powell.

11 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Agreed! And I'll add second thought, Hargrove played, and third thought Jacobs played well, so now we don't have to listen to that bullsh¡t again all week.

2 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Interesting comment from Ford. “We had a few guys that weren’t ready to go tonight . I saw it at shoot around.”

Be interesting to know who he's referring to. Not going to speculate.

Ford said we played intermittent stretches of good and bad basketball. Couldn't get in a flow in the second half.

They drew up plays for Goodwin, especially as French was struggling with foul trouble.

He told Jacobs "You need to get me 15 points tonight" before the game. Said he didn't care how he did it.

"I love Yuri Collins...I'm hard on Yuri Collins. He made a lot of great plays tonight and a lot of plays that make you scratch your head. He was trying to score it more tonight than he did in practice so you want to stick with what you do in practice. But he has the ability to make plays other people can't make. He can get from A to B, make passes. He's gonna be fine, but with freshmen, it's like a rollercoaster." - He is indeed hard on Yuri Collins.

"We're still figuring out rotations, we're playing a lot of people. Right now, we have to figure out how to play better in the second half."

JohnnyJumpUp likes this