2019-2020 Record Tracking

Pistol

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Pistol said:

French is forcing my hand, so let's start the game/season/career record thread early this year:

-Tay Weaver is a shooter. He's 2-4 from 3 already this season, and he'll need to keep that percentage to tie Roland Gray's all-time percentage record of .500. If he keeps firing away, the total 3-point FG list will be in reach; Roby and Gray are tied in 10th with 56 apiece.

-Jack Raboin hasn't played yet but we haven't forgotten his perfect 100% shooting percentage from last season. Just need to get him 50 attempts this season.

-Jordan Goodwin is on several sophomore top-10 lists after last season and will chase a bunch of junior records this season. Rebounds, assists, steals, and others will be in play. He is third all-time for any class in minutes played in a season, but I don't expect that to happen again this season with a deeper bench behind him and a more taxing style of play.

-Hasahn French is on the blocks and rebounds lists for sophomores and those categories are obviously in play again for him this season. The junior record for blocks would only be 4th on the sophomore list, so I expect him to shatter the junior record (55, Ian Vouyoukas) this season. 73 (Willie Reed's sophomore year) remains the all-time all-class record, and anything above 44 gets him in the all-class top 10, where he owns the 3rd and 5th place marks. We've also discussed that he's about to take the career record from Ian Vouyoukas (135). French is second currently, with 128.

-Javonte Perkins is going to be interesting to track this season. He was third in FGA in his first game despite being 6th in minutes and has a scorer's mentality. He was 2-5 from 3. There are some categories that could be in play if he starts clicking.

-Joshua Hightower won't play enough to hit the record books. But I organize this list by class.

-Fred Thatch does a little bit of everything but doesn't specialize in anything enough to look like he's going to threaten the single-season records too much. I'm watching rebounds and steals, though.

-K.C. Hankton didn't show much in the first game of the season. His three-point shooting could be in play over the course of a season, though. He only needs 41 makes and/or a .363 percentage to make one or both of those sophomore lists.

-Demarius Jacobs seems like a long shot for any particular sophomore category at this time.

-Brandon Courtney isn't going to crack any sophomore lists.

-Yuri Collins is on pace to absolutely destroy the freshman assist record (113, Kwamain Mitchell). If he averages 9 APG, he will register about 300 on the season and probably lead the entire NCAA. He only needs to average about 3.5 per game to take the freshman mark, though. He needs 138 to tie Josh Fisher in 10th all-time in a season and the all-class season record is 235 (Jim Roder). Collins also has a shot at steals; 32 would tie him in 10th place with Anthony Bonner on the freshman list.

-Gibson Jimerson is going to have a legitimate shot at the all-time freshman marks fr 3-point field goals (58, Kevin Lisch) and 3-point FG percentage (.430, Marcus Bartley), and possibly could make other shooting lists. The percentage might be a tougher record to take if he's shooting at a high volume, but he'll be somewhere in the top 10, I'm sure. The record for 3-pointers in a season is 103 (Erwin Claggett), and 67 is enough for the top 10. To make the top-10 for 3P% in a season, he needs to be in the .425-.500 range.

-Jimmy Bell will be worth tracking for rebounds and blocks if he starts playing more minutes.

-Terrence Hargrove and Madani Diarra have not played yet.

-I'll be keeping a closer eye on single-game records this season. Collins' 9 assists had me wondering about that; we've had 11 guys register 11 or more assists in a game and the record is 18 by Jim Roder vs. Southern Miss in 1987. Surprisingly, French has only registered 5 or more blocks in a game once, when he had 6 against Pitt last season. He just gives you 2-3 all the time. But I'm thinking he has a few 5+ block games this season, something we've only seen 17 times in history. The all-time game record is 8 (Kelvin Henderson vs. Siena in 1979). We've had 9 players hit 7 3-pointers or more in a game, and Tommie Liddell is the only to hit more, with 8 against Temple in 2007. Jimerson has the ability to show up there. Tramaine Isabell's 39-point game vs. Duquesne last season is tied for the fourth-highest scoring game in SLU history. The other one last season was Bess' 31 vs. Richmond. I'm wondering if anyone will give us a 30+ point game this season, but if I had to bet, I'm guessing not.

Here are a few more I am watching.  French will soon be Career Top 20 in rebounds.  He is at 536 and #20 is Burnett and Nordmann at 610. He could be as high as 5th Career Boards by the end of this season.  Moore holds the #5 spot at 804.  (There may be some 'noise' in the Career Rebounding list. Some totals just don't look right.)

Goodwin is sitting 17th in Career Steals.  He could easily end up Top 5 by the end of this season.  Goodwin has a remote, but slim, shot at top 10 Career Assists this season.  He probably won't make it until next season.

Zink and Pistol like this

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

Here are a few more I am watching.  French will soon be Career Top 20 in rebounds.  He is at 536 and #20 is Burnett and Nordmann at 610. He could be as high as 5th Career Boards by the end of this season.  Moore holds the #5 spot at 804.  (There may be some 'noise' in the Career Rebounding list. Some totals just don't look right.)

Goodwin is sitting 17th in Career Steals.  He could easily end up Top 5 by the end of this season.  Goodwin has a remote, but slim, shot at top 10 Career Assists this season.  He probably won't make it until next season.

This is getting ahead of ourselves, but I think more interesting than where Has & JGood wind up after this season on the career lists is where they could potentially wind up after their senior years.  Both have potential to be top 10 in points and top 5 in rebounds.  Has should be #1 in blocks (barring something really bizarre) and may crack top 10 in steals.  JGood should be #1 in assists (at least until Yuri tops him) and #1 in steals.

Zink likes this

2 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

This is getting ahead of ourselves, but I think more interesting than where Has & JGood wind up after this season on the career lists is where they could potentially wind up after their senior years.  Both have potential to be top 10 in points and top 5 in rebounds.  Has should be #1 in blocks (barring something really bizarre) and may crack top 10 in steals.  JGood should be #1 in assists (at least until Yuri tops him) and #1 in steals.

Both should be on the 1000 point scoring list.  (For now) simply doubling their first two year totals, Goodwin 1354 (15th all time) and French would end up with 1266 points (19th all time).  Goodwin has a career mpg of 33.8, which would be third Career Minutes Played today.  That mpg average will fluctuate but he still should end up top ten two years down the road.  Both are on track to be Top 20 in Career Minutes Played.  Doubling their first two years would put Goodwin in 4th place and French in 5th place.

With some moderate improvement, French could also end up Top Ten in Career FG%. If you double French's first two years, he would also Top The List on Career Games Played, at 136.  The leaders are Evans and Jett at 134.  Four game League tourney runs, or NCAA runs help pad Games Played stat. Goodwin should end up Top Twenty on Games Played also, but of course he lost some his freshman year.

Quality Is Job 1 likes this

3 minutes ago, gobillsgo said:

I’m sure I could find the info somewhere, but do French and/or Goodwin have a chance at 1000 career points this year?  I’d assume Goodwin’s shortened freshman season will hurt his chances. 

I looked up the answer to my own question. If Sports Reference is correct, French is at 653 and Goodwin is at 695. So both would have a realistic shot if healthy all year. 

Pistol likes this

21 hours ago, gobillsgo said:

I looked up the answer to my own question. If Sports Reference is correct, French is at 653 and Goodwin is at 695. So both would have a realistic shot if healthy all year. 

Goodwin would have to average 10.1 PPG while Hassan would need around 11.56 PPG to reach 1000 points before the season ends.

47 minutes ago, Ballingmeanthegradesfallin said:

Goodwin would have to average 10.1 PPG while Hassan would need around 11.56 PPG to reach 1000 points before the season ends.

Those averages are just for the remaining 30 regular season games.  Since A10 tournament and other postseason games also add to career records, the actual averages they need are going to be less.  At the very least we will play 1 game in the A10 tournament, so it is really 9.9 for Goodwin and 11.2 for French.  Barring injury or something crazy, I'd be pretty surprised if they don't both get there.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Everyone knows about French's ascent to the top of the Career Blocks list.  Goodwin has moved to 11th all time Career Steals list with 129.  He is three away from Walker and Johnson tied with 132 .  Bonner sits on top with 192 Career swipes.

Did Hasahn tie or break the record? I would hope they would make an announcement when he does break it in game.

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Did Hasahn tie or break the record? I would hope they would make an announcement when he does break it in game.

thats a lot of pressure for gus.   they could write it out for him and he still would likely f it up.

wgstl likes this

26 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

He is tied with Ian at 135.  The scorekeeper keeps track, not the public address announcer. Of course, most blocks are obvious, but some, for example tips or two guys contesting the shot, aren't.

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

He is tied with Ian at 135.  The scorekeeper keeps track, not the public address announcer. Of course, most blocks are obvious, but some, for example tips or two guys contesting the shot, aren't.

you assuming that gus will be able to read correctly what the scorekeeper hands him?

dlarry likes this

On 11/19/2019 at 12:38 PM, HoosierPal said:

Everywhere I look has Hasahn at 133 coming into tonight's game - except SLU, which says he has 135. What gives?

Sports Reference says he had 59 as a freshman and 64 as a sophomore - he's got 10 this season heading into tonight. That's 133. ESPN has the same.

26 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Brian changed the Soph number to 66 before this season. Look at the Media Guide or the newest record book. 

Thanks. Wondering why there was that discrepancy.

3 minutes ago, almaman said:

Jimerson on pace for 72 3's if he plays 30 games. That would top current leader Lisch who had 58.

Lisch went 58-140 that season, for an excellent .414 percentage.

Jimerson is currently 12-26 through five games, for .462. He can definitely do it. Hope he keeps it up.