Around the A10

slu72

8-2 mark last night. Couple of surprises: St Joe's beating Bradley which is supposed to be a Valley contender, and St J's was supposed to be in rebuild mode.   OU (Ohio U) beating St B's. Not sure what OU's got, but St B's supposed to be a top 5 A10 team. 

One other score, outside the A10, that came as a surprise to me was St Mary's downing Wisconsin at Wisconsin. 

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

8-2 mark last night. Couple of surprises: St Joe's beating Bradley which is supposed to be a Valley contender, and St J's was supposed to be in rebuild mode.   OU (Ohio U) beating St B's. Not sure what OU's got, but St B's supposed to be a top 5 A10 team. 

One other score, outside the A10, that came as a surprise to me was St Mary's downing Wisconsin at Wisconsin. 

Ohio was picked for last in the MAC East Division in the MAC Preseason Poll.  Osunniyi went down with an injury and only played 11 minutes.  It was reported on the A10 Forum as a knee injury for Osunniyi..

St Joe has a really nice player in transfer Ryan Daly.  He has been touted by some as the Newcomer of the Year in the A10.  Bradley was picked second in the Valley Preseason Poll.

Osunniyi was 3-3 in the game, that is a tough loss for SBU.  SBU's shooting was awful 36.4 overall 3-19 3pt for 15.8 percent.

For the Joey's their guard Daly was 9-20 8-9 from the free throw line to score 26,  the team got 32 FT attempts and made 28.

For Rhodey Fatts was the leading scorer 4 of the 5 starters had double digit points and LUI only played 6 players.

VCWho shot 49 percent overall only 3-13 3pt and 60 percent from the line so they start off with shooting issues.

The Dukes shot 57 percent 13-25 from 3pt and 9 of 10 from the line.  The Dukes can shoot.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

The game was in Sioux Falls, SD. Wisconsin was listed as the home team but it was a neutral site.

I thought the league had a chance to sweep last night. I didn't think GW would lose to Towson, I didn't think OU would take Bonaventure at their place, and I figured the biggest uphill battles were Fordham-St. Francis and St. Joe's-Bradley. If you told me both of those would be wins, I'd have told you we went 10-0. Oh well.

51 minutes ago, CBFan said:

Osunniyi was 3-3 in the game, that is a tough loss for SBU.  SBU's shooting was awful 36.4 overall 3-19 3pt for 15.8 percent.

For the Joey's their guard Daly was 9-20 8-9 from the free throw line to score 26,  the team got 32 FT attempts and made 28.

For Rhodey Fatts was the leading scorer 4 of the 5 starters had double digit points and LUI only played 6 players.

VCWho shot 49 percent overall only 3-13 3pt and 60 percent from the line so they start off with shooting issues.

The Dukes shot 57 percent 13-25 from 3pt and 9 of 10 from the line.  The Dukes can shoot.

The Bonnies are nothing if not consistent. Sluggish in game 1 only to look amazing by game 15.

Some casual observation from the ESPN+ run-around -----

Duquesne:  from 14 down to a near 30-point win.  YIKES!  Baylee Steele, a grad transfer from Utah Valley via Eastern Michigan, is going to be a guy to hate.  String bean center with a man bun, he equaled a career high with 19 last night. And that included three treys from the 6'11" senior.  I did not know 4-star center Gavin Bizeau had transferred.  Still, Duquesne goes as their three-point shooting goes.  Also, remember the name Maceo Austin.  The 3-star recruit from Pittsburgh shows great future promise.

VCU:  St. Francis was overmatched at Siegel and could not compete.  Santos-Silva is a man among boys. WWE should cover Santos-Silva when he and French meet up.  VCU was somewhat dismal from three (3 of 13) and while he only got 5 minutes, freshman Hason Ward displayed some Obi Toppin-like skills.  He's a 6'9" freshman from Barbados.

Umass:  meh, beat Umass-Lowell and big recruit Tre Mitchell has a pedestrian game of 10 points ,9 rebounds and 4 fouls.  Freshman TJ Weeks came off bench to score 23.

Rhodey:  is still Langevine, Dowtin and Russell.  Jermaine Harris was again a no-show with nary a point in 14  minutes with 4 fouls.  Jacob Toppin, Obi's 6'7" brother, debuted with 11 points in 16 minutes.  Big one on Saturday as Rhodey travels to UMd for a 9:00 pm tip here in College Park.  Game is on Fox Sports 1.

Bonnies:  as noted, their Big Three of Lofton, Welch and Osunniyi scored a total of 19 points with Osunniyi going down with a knee.  No update there yet.  Mt. St. Mary's tranfer Bobby Plantius had 8 with 10 rebounds.  Not a good sign is when Ipkeze is your second leading scorer -- they need more.

Joeys:  the next big thing, Ryan Daly, did not disappoint with 26 but was 0-of-6 from three.  Anthony Longpre did not play but they are still just Funk, Edwards and a very short bench.  As noted, I like what they did with the Hawk Hill court.

Mason: Is without Kier but Hartwell is the new Otis Livingstone.  PG Xavier Johnson debuted with 15 points.  Not bad from a 6'1" freshmen.  But it was Navy.  And they needed overtime at home.

GeeDubya:  Going to be a long year in Foggy Bottom.  No matter how you rationalize it, Towson is not good.  Langarcia got six minutes.  Good thing they stole Jameer Nelson Jr from the Joeys.

Fordham:  game tipped at 9:30 here on the East Coast at Rose Hill as the men played second fiddle to the Fordham women hosting Notre Dame.  ND won by five.  Fordham starters at guard, freshmen Austin and Rose, threw down for a combined 3 points.

Davidson:  Open Friday against #24 Auburn down the road here in Annapolis at Navy's Alumni Hall.

Richmond:  keeps St. Francis PA in southern Virginia and opens at home with them Friday as well.

La Salle opens Saturday at the mausoleum with Iona.

Dayton: opens Saturday at the DDD hosting Indiana State.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

The Bonnies are nothing if not consistent. Sluggish in game 1 only to look amazing by game 15.

Osunniyi played 11 minutes and went down early in the second half with St. Bonnie down by 4.  The tide turned when he went down.  Yes, they should have won at home against Ohio, but there is an asterisk in there.  Unfortunately for St. Bonnie and the A10, the asterisk isn't recorded in the W/L column.    

Some interesting stuff here about the A10 last night.

https://www.a10talk.com/biggest-winners-losers-from-the-first-night-of-a-10-hoops/

Labedz' comment on SLU: 

Saint Louis’ Offense

The big question for Saint Louis this season was “who’s going to score the basketball?” Travis Ford’s club answered that question on Tuesday night with “a lot of guys.” The Billikens ran away from Florida Gulf Coast from the tip, scoring 89 points, more than they scored in any contest last season. Freshmen Gibson Jimerson and Yuri Collins were hitting their threes, a great sign for Saint Louis. Juniors Hasahn French and Jordan Goodwin scored 20 and 18 respectively and are obviously going to be this team’s focal points moving forward. I’m bullish on SLU after an impressive opening night performance.

Some good info on A10 bigs Santos-Silva, Langevine, and Ohams from Fordham.

St. Joe won with pretty much a six man rotation.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

St. Joe won with pretty much a six man rotation.

They don't really have a choice. They have 10 active scholarship players. Half have taken at a redshirt season. The only rotation players they return were the #5, 6, and 7 guys.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

From the St. Bonnie board, Osunniyi expected to be out for several games, but his knee injury isn't season ending.

It is a double bummer when these key injuries occur to our A10 foes early in the season.  I'd rather they be at full strength during the non-conference portion to boost the A10's profile and then I don't really care (aside from the obvious not wanting to see people hurt) what happens in conference especially to teams who aren't expected to make the NCAAs.

someoneelse likes this

On 11/6/2019 at 8:16 AM, Old guy said:

The first game of the season always bring surprises. By the way Pomeroy has FGCU way down after last night's game, we are now in the 130s in his scale. In teamrankings scale, FGCU went down to 273 (ouch), and we went up from 169 before the game to 143.

And we are up to 130 now, I'm liking this trend line! FGCU is showing up at 259 and Valparaiso is at 205.

13 minutes ago, TheChosenOne said:

And we are up to 130 now, I'm liking this trend line! FGCU is showing up at 259 and Valparaiso is at 205.

valpo already has a top 90 win. 

Also Belmont lost to illinois state last night, who is 206 according to kenpom