What An Opener

mrjoelabs

Im willing to give Hankton some more run at the 5. I think he is a nice change of pace from Has where you could put out a different look, maybe run 5 out. Think of the space Goodwin could work with in that set. Hankton lack of rebounding won't be as glaring when you have guards who rebound as well as ours. I think you guys are being a little harsh basing judgement off limited minutes in one game. He's not near as much of a pushover size wise as he was last year. 

Again... Jacobs isn't a killer like Goodwin and Has. He'll never be that guy. Give him some time. He did miss some defensive assignments yesterday though and Ford wasn't happy. I still think this fast paced offense gives Jacobs an obvious role and spot on the team. We will see.

billiken_roy and Zink like this

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

you don't hold a team to 18 points in the first half, with anyone playing bad defense...his defense in the 2nd half, was't great, but neither was anyone else's....

I would argue that aside from 4 threes and a wide open inside bucket I felt like we played well in defense. Just have to keep intensity up which we failed to do in the second 

SLU_Lax likes this

3 minutes ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Im willing to give Hankton some more run at the 5. I think he is a nice change of pace from Has where you could put out a different look, maybe run 5 out. Think of the space Goodwin could work with in that set. Hankton lack of rebounding won't be as glaring when you have guards who rebound as well as ours. I think you guys are being a little harsh basing judgement off limited minutes in one game. He's not near as much of a pushover size wise as he was last year. 

Again... Jacobs isn't a killer like Goodwin and Has. He'll never be that guy. Give him some time. He did miss some defensive assignments yesterday though and Ford wasn't happy. I still think this fast paced offense gives Jacobs an obvious role and spot on the team. We will see.

Agreed.  If Hankton can bring offense from the 5 with Has on the bench, this team can take a major step forward

26 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

I think he was talking about Jimerson helping...I thought Jacobs D was fine....

it seemed like a majority of the 3's made in the second half by florida gulf coast were being defended by jacobs.   while it may seem he is staying infront of his man and is sufficient for defense, i contend compared to what goodwin and thatch are doing, it doesnt come close to the intensity example they are setting.    yuri as well is up on his man, forcing the opponent to pass or put the ball on the floor immediately and making his man expend energy and creating havoc.   when jacobs is the only guy not playing with that intensity, the opponent will find him and exploit him accordingly.  

my problem with that is with jacobs very good athleticism there is no reason he cannot mirror what goodwin and thatch and collins are doing.   we have the depth.   jacobs needs to spend the energy on defense like the others to complete the team effort.   if he doesnt, it wont surprise me if eventually either collins or weaver or jimmerson are not in the starting lineup and jacobs is coming off the bench or even not playing.   we shall see, but success is contagious.   and the more all are doing this, the more i think this team will succeed.   

I didn't know where to post this, but just a funny anecdote from last night. My wife and I were meeting a friend to go to Lorenzini's before the game, so we got to the game fairly early. He was running late, so we just kind of hung around the concourse for a bit, this was around 5:45. I notice two guys getting a bit animated standing at security, so of course I am really curious to see what is going on. Turns out these two guys and they had a third lurking at a different entrance had already been into the game and gotten a bobble head, but had a number of tickets, so they were re-entering at a different gate with a different ticket and demanding another bobble head. Security had been told to only allow one bobble head per person (I think that is what they were saying) and would not give them additional bobble heads. My wife wasn't as interested in the situation as I was, so we walked away, but with so few people around at that time I kept seeing different security and SLU folks going to talk to these guys. I assume they ended up getting their additional bobble heads, but man were these guys pissed. I should note that based on appearance (which is unfair) they appeared to only be there for the bobble heads. So to anyone who's son/daughter/grandkid didn't get a bobble head, tell them they need to want it as much as these middle aged men did.

rgbilliken likes this

Several people near me left at the end of the game with their bobble head still sitting under there seat. I picked up two of them and if they ask about it at the next game I will see to it they get them.

The combo of Yuri and Gibson is going to be amazing to watch for 4 years.  Gibson will benefit from Yuri's ability to get him wide open shots and Yuri will benefit from Gibson's ability to knock down those wide open shots and get him assists.  The amazing thing about Yuri's vision is that he appears to know what he's going to do before he starts his drive to the basket.  "If I get around my guy and head to the lane, but then instead of going straight to the basket, I head for the middle of the paint, it will draw three guys and give me a pass to a wide open teammate on the perimeter," seems to flash through Yuri's brain in about half a second.  It was also nice to see that Gibson knew that when Yuri had the ball, he should just just sit in a spot, he knew where to be, on the three point line and wait.  I think it was three different times that Yuri drove and then kicked it out to Gibson for a wide open three, and I just kept telling myself, "I'm going to enjoy seeing that play over and over again for quite a while."

Zink likes this

4 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

The combo of Yuri and Gibson is going to be amazing to watch for 4 years.  Gibson will benefit from Yuri's ability to get him wide open shots and Yuri will benefit from Gibson's ability to knock down those wide open shots and get him assists.  The amazing thing about Yuri's vision is that he appears to know what he's going to do before he starts his drive to the basket.  "If I get around my guy and head to the lane, but then instead of going straight to the basket, I head for the middle of the paint, it will draw three guys and give me a pass to a wide open teammate on the perimeter," seems to flash through Yuri's brain in about half a second.  It was also nice to see that Gibson knew that when Yuri had the ball, he should just just sit in a spot, he knew where to be, on the three point line and wait.  I think it was three different times that Yuri drove and then kicked it out to Gibson for a wide open three, and I just kept telling myself, "I'm going to enjoy seeing that play over and over again for quite a while."

More than any other newcomers, GJ and YC bring a new dynamic to this team.

They also make guys like Goodwin more valuable, giving him more space to operate.

9 minutes ago, cgeldmacher said:

At least 2 of Gibson’s treys came off great passes by Yuri. The one in the 2nd half came when Yuri drove to the basketball and looked to have a legit shot to score, and then he hit Gibson with a quick cross court pass for the trey. Awesome stuff.

I have been reading the comments about last night's game and I am both confused and appalled. There appears to be what can be qualified as waves of doubt, with people basically waiting for the other shoe to drop. Lots of commentary coning down (and possibly exaggerating) what the poster sees as flaws. Mentally, these posters instead of exhaling with deep satisfaction about how well we did last night, appear petrified that this is all an illusion, that we cannot win over many of our opponents because we just do not have it. Why is this? What is causing this epidemic of ball shrinkage among the MBMs posting here?

We played last night in a new way, or at least a new way for us. We were successful, no one expected us to win last night's game by 22 points. No one even indicated the possibility that such a thing might happen. Oh yes, the  comments go, we did it because FGCU was awful. Not so, they could rain 3s on us, as they did in the second half. We just outplayed them, period, they did not have an answer for us.

Now, let's consider that the first game in a season is never a game that finds all of our players ready. Certainly not when only 3 of our players have had extensive prior experience. Certainly, some of our new players had prior experience at JUCO or in a prior program, but the vast majority of the freshmen were just not experienced in what to expect from a real opponent trying to  beat us. This extends to both Hankton and Jacobs which played very little last year. Should any one be surprised that some of these players are a bit tentative in the way they play? Does this mean they cannot find themselves as they play more and loosen up. When they do they will start playing happy they are there and not somewhere else, and  really enjoying the experience. This will happen, those players that have not found their groove will find it, the sooner the better for them, and they know that.

Jacobs, Hankton, Perkins, Bell can all do a lot better than what they are doing now. Give them a chance, the trend is up from this game on. This is a very good beginning. Hard work and building upon what we already have accomplished (and we have accomplished a lot compared to last season) will make this team a lot better. After last night I expect a very good season. Gp Bills!

Let's disrupt and demoralize our opponents, make them make mistakes, out rebound them, out assist them. Let's cause a lot of turnovers upon our opponents and we will manage to win game after game. Shaka was, and probably still is, a genius, what is wrong with following in his footsteps?

Zink and majerus mojo like this

I like the flash to Yuri's game. The pass backwards through his legs in the 2nd half was sweet. Didn't come across as cleanly as he would of liked but I love the fact he had the balls to try it in his first D1 game. Also his missed layup in the 2nd half that French followed up ... watch that again slowly, it really looks like a pass not a layup attempt.  Honestly, a great pass is more fun to watch than a dunk imo.

brianstl and RUBillsFan like this

2 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I like the flash to Yuri's game. The pass backwards through his legs in the 2nd half was sweet. Didn't come across as cleanly as he would of liked but I love the fact he had the balls to try it in his first D1 game. Also his missed layup in the 2nd half that French followed up ... watch that again slowly, it really looks like a pass not a layup attempt.  Honestly, a great pass is more fun to watch than a dunk imo.

Goodwin’s no look pass in the second half was pretty slick too. 

slu72 likes this

6 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

You make it sound sinister.  I think the most likely explanation is that Hargrove hasn't mastered his spots on either end of the floor well enough in the coaching staff's judgment to warrant overexposing him.

Sinister?  Nah,  it was just surprising to me after watching Hargrove play a similar style of defense with his high school as well as AAU team have issues adjusting to playing that style.  That's all.  I am sure he will figure it out.

52 minutes ago, Coach314 said:

Sinister?  Nah,  it was just surprising to me after watching Hargrove play a similar style of defense with his high school as well as AAU team have issues adjusting to playing that style.  That's all.  I am sure he will figure it out.

That's alright I'm surprised also. it was explained to me by quite a few on this board that the most important thing to have when playing a pressing defensive is effort and athleticism.

2 hours ago, TheChosenOne said:

I didn't know where to post this, but just a funny anecdote from last night. My wife and I were meeting a friend to go to Lorenzini's before the game, so we got to the game fairly early. He was running late, so we just kind of hung around the concourse for a bit, this was around 5:45. I notice two guys getting a bit animated standing at security, so of course I am really curious to see what is going on. Turns out these two guys and they had a third lurking at a different entrance had already been into the game and gotten a bobble head, but had a number of tickets, so they were re-entering at a different gate with a different ticket and demanding another bobble head. Security had been told to only allow one bobble head per person (I think that is what they were saying) and would not give them additional bobble heads. My wife wasn't as interested in the situation as I was, so we walked away, but with so few people around at that time I kept seeing different security and SLU folks going to talk to these guys. I assume they ended up getting their additional bobble heads, but man were these guys pissed. I should note that based on appearance (which is unfair) they appeared to only be there for the bobble heads. So to anyone who's son/daughter/grandkid didn't get a bobble head, tell them they need to want it as much as these middle aged men did.

There is a special place in hell for middle aged men who get this crazy over bobble heads.

Nothing wrong with having bobble heads. I have 8-10 displayed in my basement but some of these dudes get weird over them.

Box and Won likes this

2 minutes ago, dlarry said:

There is a special place in hell for middle aged men who get this crazy over bobble heads.

Nothing wrong with having bobble heads. I have 8-10 displayed in my basement but some of these dudes get weird over them.

Probably gonna flip 'em on ebay or wherever. Of course, they also make great stocking stuffers! Get enough for the entire family!

4 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

Probably gonna flip 'em on ebay or wherever. Of course, they also make great stocking stuffers! Get enough for the entire family!

Probably, but if you are going from gate to gate and arguing with security, IMO, you are an .

2 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

it seemed like a majority of the 3's made in the second half by florida gulf coast were being defended by jacobs.   while it may seem he is staying infront of his man and is sufficient for defense, i contend compared to what goodwin and thatch are doing, it doesnt come close to the intensity example they are setting.    yuri as well is up on his man, forcing the opponent to pass or put the ball on the floor immediately and making his man expend energy and creating havoc.   when jacobs is the only guy not playing with that intensity, the opponent will find him and exploit him accordingly.  

my problem with that is with jacobs very good athleticism there is no reason he cannot mirror what goodwin and thatch and collins are doing.   we have the depth.   jacobs needs to spend the energy on defense like the others to complete the team effort.   if he doesnt, it wont surprise me if eventually either collins or weaver or jimmerson are not in the starting lineup and jacobs is coming off the bench or even not playing.   we shall see, but success is contagious.   and the more all are doing this, the more i think this team will succeed.   

I see that they have added a +/- rating for each player, looking at it, would indicate that you are correct about Jacob. He was only a + 1 for the game, Hankton was the lowest at -1. Jimerson was the leader at + 21.

http://www.slubillikens.com/pdf9/5490192.pdf

20 minutes ago, White Pelican said:

My perception of the three guys (in addition to what they were arguing) was that this wasn't their first rodeo and we will be seeing however many bobble heads they ended up with on ebay. It seemed like security knew the game they were playing and wanted to prevent it, but based on the number of folks I saw continue to walk over to talk to them I assume they got their way. One of those situations you see being abused where in theory maybe these guys are right (if you buy a ticket you should be entitled to the giveaway and if that is a dozen tickets that should be a dozen giveaways), but just kind of a crappy thing to do. One of the things I enjoy doing is going out on Black Friday (typically on Thanksgiving evening now) when the stores open and just watching folks behave similarly (I am typically in FL for Thanksgiving which makes this experience that much better). I seldom buy anything of significance, but watching folks tear through Target or wherever else to save a few bucks is great theater.

Pistol likes this