GDT: Clunk City

Taj79

2 minutes ago, billikens747 said:

Hightower

Hightower is a junior and been in the system; Hargrove is a true freshman.  It was the first game.  Coach Ford is not going to alienate him, but he's not going to expose him, either.  When he's ready, they'll be happy to use him.

JohnnyJumpUp and moytoy12 like this

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, slu72 said:

There's got to be something wrong here, but what? Only the staff knows. You're not going to sit a local big name unless there's a problem. From everything Ford has said it's not a Gordon type deal. Hargrove supposedly has a great attitude. ???? 

You all sound like a paranoid girlfriend/boyfriend. There isn't always something wrong. Enjoy the W.

JohnnyJumpUp likes this

I am not worried about Hargrove. He is an incredibly athletic, but still raw, basketball player. Yes, his upside is tremendous, but he is really learning basketball in a highly structured environment. He will be a tremendous Billiken, and I can't wait to see the improvement he will show. 

16 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Few things.

im sorta done already with Jacobs as a starter, it feels like he’s just slightly better than last year, but still far behind.

yuri almost had a double double in his first game! His vision is incredible.

love jimmmerson play. I mean, he’s far more than just a sharp shooter.

weaver was incredibly efficient tonight. 

perkins mid range game may rival bess’

What in the world did you see in Perkins mid range game that would lead you to say it might rival Bess? He was 1-5 take away the 3.

Watching on TV, I was very impressed with Yuri Collins.  SLU has a real point guard.

My biggest observation was the usual improvement between Sophomore and Junior years, tonight exhibited by Hasahn French and Jordan Goodwin.  I agree that having some shooters opens up the inside where French and Goodwin are dominant.

It was a good opening night win.  Bring on Valpo.

4 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

What in the world did you see in Perkins mid range game that would lead you to say it might rival Bess? He was 1-5 take away the 3.

Few things.  Most importantly that was his bread and butter at juco. He’s looking more and more comfortable and you can tell by that shot. 2 were in and outs. I’m not saying he’s at bess level or anything like that, but over time I can see that falling in often.

also, I was comparing to bess because how they pull up off the dribble, it just reminded me a lot of bess shot 

slufanskip and Zink like this

There are lots of great takeaways from tonight’s game. We controlled the pace of the game and were able to roll with just about whatever matchup we wanted. After the Kentucky Weslyan game I said that I thought people were being too pessimistic (though understandably so). In that same vein, we should remember that there will be games where teams make us play slower and bigger than we could play tonight, and those will be big tests. That said, this was the most fun SLU opener I can remember in all my time as a Bills fan. A couple of quick takeaways:

-Not worried in the slightest about Hargrove. It’s one game into his freshman year, he was somewhat raw coming out of high school, and we have a team that’s still figuring out its rotations and matchups. Hargrove will be a very important player for us over the next four years, let’s give it time.

-Goodwin’s ball handling and athleticism have both improved. That is the exact type of performance we should hope for from him throughout this season.

-Perkins’ potential to provide spacing at the 3/4 to give Hasahn room to operate could be huge for this team.

-Jacobs has a lot of potential on the defensive end. He had some mishaps tonight, but he can be a really valuable player this season if he’s able to defend at a high level and take pressure off of Thatch and Goodwin. Good to see him get some buckets at the end.

-Weaver is the perfect grad transfer for this team. Defends, handles the ball, takes charges and hits open 3s. There will be games this year when the freshmen struggle and he proves to be a difference maker.

Zink, moytoy12, Pistol and 2 others like this

6 minutes ago, wgstl said:

Few things.  Most importantly that was his bread and butter at juco. He’s looking more and more comfortable and you can tell by that shot. 2 were in and outs. I’m not saying he’s at bess level or anything like that, but over time I can see that falling in often.

also, I was comparing to bess because how they pull up off the dribble, it just reminded me a lot of bess shot 

glad he's juco and not GT

7 minutes ago, cheeseman said:

TJ was never a 4*.  If he was a then he would be playing regardless if he had good coaching in high school or not.

There is this little site called espn: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/235144/terrence-hargrove-jr

Fantastic game.  My only gripe is jacobs needs to take a peek  at the intensity that goodwin and thatch play.   He is every bit as athletic so no excuse for his less than the rest intensity.

Beyond that nothing to speak negative about tonight.

French and goodwin and thatch set quite the example.

Collins is showing well.   Needs to quit the going too deep down the lane.   Trees aren't going to allow it.   Kick it out.  But all in all collins exceeding my expectations.

Perkins also showed better than i expected.  I think it helps that we are playing fast.  Athleticism rules playing havoc.

Jimmy bell was better than the box score shows.  Clearing space and who wants to drive to the basket to meet jimmy?   He is huge.  

Jimmerson.   On the road to the 50% shooting percentage.   I love him

Weaver played well.   

All in all really fun night.