GDT: Clunk City

Taj79

9 minutes ago, Billikens4life said:

I guess this is where the vertical number is coming from. It may just be Ford pumping up his guys

Right, and I meant to comment yesterday when people were talking about that interview. Thatch has hops but 46.5" is cheat code-level and there's no way he has that kind of leaping ability.

Billikens4life likes this

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

42 minutes ago, Pistol said:

Right, and I meant to comment yesterday when people were talking about that interview. Thatch has hops but 46.5" is cheat code-level and there's no way he has that kind of leaping ability.

Exactly. When you see BS numbers like this, it's a running vertical leap. The standard for measuring vertical leap is standing vertical leap.

Only freak athletes who look like they're jumping off a trampoline have standing verticals anywhere near 46 inches, i.e Jordan, Carter, Westbrook, LeBron when they were in their athletic primes. Guys who are very good leapers are usually in the 34-37 inch neighborhood. That's where Thatch would fit. Most guys you will see in the A10 have verticals below 32 inches.

35 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

Exactly. When you see BS numbers like this, it's a running vertical leap. The standard for measuring vertical leap is standing vertical leap.

Only freak athletes who look like they're jumping off a trampoline have standing verticals anywhere near 46 inches, i.e Jordan, Carter, Westbrook, LeBron when they were in their athletic primes. Guys who are very good leapers are usually in the 34-37 inch neighborhood. That's where Thatch would fit. Most guys you will see in the A10 have verticals below 32 inches.

I'm also wondering if it is a possibility that Ford said 36 and Stu misheard it as 46.

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

some numbers I found. Not sure how realistic any of them are.

Nate Robinson 43.5

Vince Carter  43

LBJ 44

Muggsy Bogues 44.3

Spud Webb 46

MJ 46

I doubt Thatch is up there with these guys but I bet he has one of the highest verticals in the A-10.

I also bet he puts down a monster dunk on a few defenders before his career is over.

I remember Jordair missing about 3 baseline dunks that would have broke the internet. I bet Thatch puts one of those down, he gave it a nice attempt last night.

9 minutes ago, dlarry said:

I remember Jordair missing about 3 baseline dunks that would have broke the internet. I bet Thatch puts one of those down, he gave it a nice attempt last night.

Speaking of missed dunks - I forgot about this until now, but it was pretty hilarious when that FGCU player went for a big dunk, but was horrifically rejected by the rim last night.  It was a bummer that SLU gave up the O rebound and FGCU scored quickly thereafter.  If not for that, I think some quality taunting / heckling of the player by the crowd would have occurred.

8 hours ago, cheeseman said:

His consensus ranking was not a 4*.  But if you want to say all you have to do have one site list you then OK.  If you look at his offers, that did not give you a 4 * profile but fine.

I agree with you. He was not a consensus 4* recruit, and I don't believe ESPN bumped up his ranking until well after the recruiting season was complete. 

3 hours ago, RUBillsFan said:

Speaking of missed dunks - I forgot about this until now, but it was pretty hilarious when that FGCU player went for a big dunk, but was horrifically rejected by the rim last night.  It was a bummer that SLU gave up the O rebound and FGCU scored quickly thereafter.  If not for that, I think some quality taunting / heckling of the player by the crowd would have occurred.

it was. We prefer HF get the block not the rim.

7 hours ago, dlarry said:

some numbers I found. Not sure how realistic any of them are.

Nate Robinson 43.5

Vince Carter  43

LBJ 44

Muggsy Bogues 44.3

Spud Webb 46

MJ 46

Slufanskip   1 5/8

I doubt Thatch is up there with these guys but I bet he has one of the highest verticals in the A-10.

I also bet he puts down a monster dunk on a few defenders before his career is over.

Fixed it