GDT: Clunk City

Taj79

49 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

yea, Jacobs just seems to be a notch or two below the other starters energy/intensity wise.  Won't surprise me if we see Yuri starting by game 5 in Jacobs' place.  

Come on, who cares who starts ...... starting means very little.  Tonight two guys off the bench got more minutes than three of the "starters".  

HoosierPal likes this

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from the game, and have no access to the stats so this is all from my memory and impressions. Good game, not a smooth game, but a good solid game. The place was about 70% full, with a pretty full student section making the appropriate noises and showing a good level of enthusiasm. We won by 22 pts (89 to 67) which is a lot better than the Vegas spread was prior to the game. We did well.

The game could be divided into two parts, the first half when we totally disrupted their plans and game playing and succeeded in creating a 22 pt loss. The second half when they recovered to some degree and prevented us from gaining on our lead but totally failed to make a dent on our lead. Very interesting stuff indeed. They could shoot 3s better than we could. The refs, by the way, were not the standard terrible refs with their miserable calls, they appeared generally OK to me.

Of course the stars of the game were French and Goodwin. French has been able to improve markedly by having other players draw defenders away from him. Goodwin was all over and did not bring the ball in a good % of the time. Thatch played primarily a defensive, very good game, and managed to score but not something extraordinary. Jacobs played a good amount of time and did reasonably well handling the ball and defending. He did some scoring. If he, and Perkins also, are effective in keeping the pressure off French, they will play a fair amount Bell was there taking pressure off French and defending reasonably well, he did not score much, but did score.

Ford engaged in just bringing players in and letting them do their thing. Yuri was superb, he carried the ball frequently and was possibly the most aggressive defender around, he did score a fair amount, including 3s. I thought he was a major reason why we won this game. Playing in tandem with Yuri, Weaver also proved very fast and very disruptive in defense against FGCU. I think these two will see a lot of play this year as things gel out. Yuri and Weaver caused, I believe, a good  degree of disruption among the opposing team. Javonte Perkins played a fair amount and managed to uncork himself, get loose and score, including 3s. The same can be said for Jimerson who scored a good number of 3s.

I was not impressed with Hankton's play. Hargrove did not play tonight.

I do  not know the numbers but we really out rebounded them, I believe we had more blocks, more assists, and less turnovers than they did. The stats, when available, will show how much success we had in these areas.

I was very happy seeing what team Blue did in their first game. Things are still tentative of course, nothing is cast in stone, but if we can continue and perfect this style of play I think we will do very well this season. Go Bills!

Zink and 2010andBeyond like this

2 minutes ago, WVBilliken said:

Come on, who cares who starts ...... starting means very little.  Tonight two guys off the bench got more minutes than three of the "starters".  

Starters set the tone of the game. Ideally, you want 5 players to start who set the best tone for your team the rest of the game.

wgstl likes this

47 minutes ago, Compton said:

image.png.3474b7e45161e2e246558a78afe74755.png

I knew Yuri was good tonight, but 9 assists??? Wow!!

This team can fun to watch. I’m sure there will be games where our shooting isn’t as good and it’s frustrating, but if have something close to the combo of passing,  steals, rebounding, and shooting like tonight, we’ll be in for a fun season.

The defensive intensity in especially the first half was really something. Not used to us pressing as frequently as did tonight, there were several times when I briefly lost focus after FGCU, only to see us steal the ball away within seconds.

We’re only 1 game in, but I made the same statement at a similar point in Hasahn French’s freshman season. Yuri Collins is going to be so good.

In this little sample size, French and Goodwin are playing how we hoped they’d play.

I was 10 years and under when Claggett, Highmark, and Waldman were raining in 3s, so I lacked the memory of specific characteristics of the game, but I can’t think of a Billiken with a quicker release than Jimmerson.

Perkins is going to take some time to adjust, but I like what he brings to the table. He seems comfortable out there, and I think that he’ll be a nice offensive option throughout this season. 

I’ll admit that Weaver was kind of an afterthought for me with this team. Just couldn’t get excited for a backup grad transfer guard. Having seen him now, I really like what he can bring to the table.

1 hour ago, slu72 said:

Think back to last season when we struggled to beat these kind of teams. We were all expecting blow outs and everyone was nip and tuck. This style of play works for us. Not saying we're gonna duplicate last year's success, but this was fun to watch and not a friggin nail biter against a low mid team we thought we'd destroy last year. 

I'm so happy that Coach has put the ball in Yuri's hands from day 1.  He's not going to have 8 point, 9 assist games every night but he's clearly the best point guard on the team.  

Pistol likes this

1 hour ago, brianstl said:

I was sort of disappointed with the second half effort defensively. The first half it looked like we had a chance to be better defensively than last season.  Terrible perimeter defense in the second half.

Amazing what the team defense looks like when Thatch is off the floor.  He has the same impact on our defense as Yuri has on our offense.

18 minutes ago, Old guy said:

Ford engaged in just bringing players in and letting them do their thing. Yuri was superb, he carried the ball frequently and was possibly the most aggressive defender around, he did score a fair amount, including 3s. I thought he was a major reason why we won this game. Playing in tandem with Yuri, Weaver also proved very fast and very disruptive in defense against FGCU. I think these two will see a lot of play this year as things gel out. Yuri and Weaver caused, I believe, a good  degree of disruption among the opposing team. Javonte Perkins played a fair amount and managed to uncork himself, get loose and score, including 3s. The same can be said for Jimerson who scored a good number of 3s.

Overall, this was a good post, Old Guy, but I want to make you hip on hoops terminology.

In football running backs carry the ball.  In basketball point guards handle the ball.

(In basketball, "carrying" is a bad thing: a turnover when the ballhandler gets his hand under the ball on the dribble.  The officials called FGCU for carrying once tonight.)

Crewsorlose likes this

13 minutes ago, 3star_recruit said:

I'm so happy that Coach has put the ball in Yuri's hands from day 1.  He's not going to have 8 point, 9 assist games every night but he's clearly the best point guard on the team.  

So you're expecting double doubles from now on? Me too. Watch the replay of his Olly oop he knew exactly where he wanted that pass to be. dead on in first game. Once he has rep for that play they can really draw defense in and he can  hit GJ in the corner trailing after faking the oop.

Jacobs isn't the same bully ball player as Thatch and Goodwin. He's the smooth silky winger. That transition bucket in mop up time is where he shines. He showing confidence in his jumper which is good. I think he's gonna have a good year just needs to settle in.

My most exciting takeaway is that Jimerson and Yuri are both able to defend at a pretty high level. Especially Yuri. 

We have so much depth. This year is gonna be funnnnn

Zink likes this

10 hours ago, davidnark said:

His consensus ranking was not a 4*.  But if you want to say all you have to do have one site list you then OK.  If you look at his offers, that did not give you a 4 * profile but fine.

16 hours ago, billikenbill said:

Thatch has a 46.5" vertical and it shows. Is he a little dinged up at the moment?

Not sure why I was bad posted for this. It was said on the air that he has a 46.5” vertical. Also, I posted this after it was said on the air that Fred was being looked at on the sideline but they weren’t sure why.

Turns out he had cramps and didn’t return. Dinged up just meant that something wasn’t right with him, maybe a jammed finger or something like that.

Also, the 46.5” vertical wasn’t said in jest (I didn’t think it was anyway) and there were a few rebounds where he was skying so high to get them, it looked believable. Anyone know for sure if 46.5” is his actual vertical?

2 minutes ago, billikenbill said:

Also, the 46.5” vertical wasn’t said in jest (I didn’t think it was anyway) and there were a few rebounds where he was skying so high to get them, it looked believable. Anyone know for sure if 46.5” is his actual vertical?

It can't be.

The all-time NBA Draft Combine record for vertical jump is 46" - set by D.J. Stephens in 2013. Here is what D.J. Stephens looks like when he jumps:

As much as I like Thatch, he does not have a 46.5" vertical.