Billikens.com Message Board
Sign in to follow this  
Bills_06

Tuesdays With Travis - Danny Mac

Danny Mac is bringing it back this season having Ford on each week.  If you have the time to download and listen, sure it helps him with sponsorship so he can keep doing it and with that, being on the call and having Carter Chapley write for his site, he is doing what he can to provide SLU content.  

Talks about how making the tournament may help them reach their goal quicker but they still aren't there where SLU is a top team in league and in tournament each year.  Update on Javon Bess.  Danny Mac was at the exhibition game so discuss that game for a bit and how they plan on pressing.  Our depth needs to get better which getting them more time from the press can help.

Danny Mac was very impressed with Yuri Collins (paging @slu72) and Ford talks about how he underestimated how tough he is when he was recruiting him.  Yuri will come into games quickly even if he doesn't start and he will be in at crucial times because of his toughness and defense.  

Ford mentions how TJ had 5 high school coaches in 4 years so Ford is his 6th coach in 5 years.  Because of that, he is a bit behind learning but he has a great attitude and is working hard.  

Link

In addition, here is Chapley's opening game preview.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/gameday-preview-billikens-to-raise-banner-open-regular-season-against-dunk-city/

Two interesting Ford comments from Tuesday's with Travis  "Depth is only good if it is good depth.  We have 1 or 2 or 3 players that stand out everyday in practice and then everyone else is about equal."

"Sometimes I start lineups not necessarily the best five, but the five I need to start." 

One thing that impresses me (again, really) is how much of a salesman — in a good way (not shady) — Travis Ford is.

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

In addition, here is Chapley's opening game preview.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/gameday-preview-billikens-to-raise-banner-open-regular-season-against-dunk-city/

Two interesting Ford comments from Tuesday's with Travis  "Depth is only good if it is good depth.  We have 1 or 2 or 3 players that stand out everyday in practice and then everyone else is about equal."

"Sometimes I start lineups not necessarily the best five, but the five I need to start." 

-I haven't listened yet to understand if any additional context around this, but I hope this gap isn't very wide and more importantly, we get more players at the stand out level everyday

32 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I haven't listened yet to understand if any additional context around this, but I hope this gap isn't very wide and more importantly, we get more players at the stand out level everyday

I wouldn't read too much into that statement except the obvious, French, Goodwin and Thatch are his studs, and everyone else has a chance to contribute, minutes depending on how they perform in practice and games.  I don't think he has a set rotation yet.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I wouldn't read too much into that statement except the obvious, French, Goodwin and Thatch are his studs, and everyone else has a chance to contribute, minutes depending on how they perform in practice and games.  I don't think he has a set rotation yet.

That's how I took it as well. There's the vet 3 then the rest who are all  closely grouped. As time passes others will surface, Yurimania for sure, and make us a much improved team. I can see Jimerson making a leap if his shot starts to fall, because we need outside shooting so desperately. Overall it was a pretty positive discussion. 

Thanks Carter for the article and coverage. Since this door was recently opened, let me say that the writing in this article is definitely improved over previous ones. I wrote 30 or so sports articles for an ACC publication for two years and edited them obsessively for clarity. I made acquaintance with a high school English teacher, also a sports fan, who was interested in the fact that I had done some writing and wanted to read them. She said she could see improvement from start to finish and that the last several she wouldn't change anything.

Again, thanks for providing us with additional Billiken coverage.