Tuesdays With Travis - Danny Mac

Bills_06

Danny Mac is bringing it back this season having Ford on each week.  If you have the time to download and listen, sure it helps him with sponsorship so he can keep doing it and with that, being on the call and having Carter Chapley write for his site, he is doing what he can to provide SLU content.  

Talks about how making the tournament may help them reach their goal quicker but they still aren't there where SLU is a top team in league and in tournament each year.  Update on Javon Bess.  Danny Mac was at the exhibition game so discuss that game for a bit and how they plan on pressing.  Our depth needs to get better which getting them more time from the press can help.

Danny Mac was very impressed with Yuri Collins (paging @slu72) and Ford talks about how he underestimated how tough he is when he was recruiting him.  Yuri will come into games quickly even if he doesn't start and he will be in at crucial times because of his toughness and defense.  

Ford mentions how TJ had 5 high school coaches in 4 years so Ford is his 6th coach in 5 years.  Because of that, he is a bit behind learning but he has a great attitude and is working hard.  

Link

moytoy12, CBFan, Zink and 2 others like this

In addition, here is Chapley's opening game preview.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/gameday-preview-billikens-to-raise-banner-open-regular-season-against-dunk-city/

Two interesting Ford comments from Tuesday's with Travis  "Depth is only good if it is good depth.  We have 1 or 2 or 3 players that stand out everyday in practice and then everyone else is about equal."

"Sometimes I start lineups not necessarily the best five, but the five I need to start." 

Bills_06 likes this

37 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

In addition, here is Chapley's opening game preview.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/gameday-preview-billikens-to-raise-banner-open-regular-season-against-dunk-city/

Two interesting Ford comments from Tuesday's with Travis  "Depth is only good if it is good depth.  We have 1 or 2 or 3 players that stand out everyday in practice and then everyone else is about equal."

"Sometimes I start lineups not necessarily the best five, but the five I need to start." 

-I haven't listened yet to understand if any additional context around this, but I hope this gap isn't very wide and more importantly, we get more players at the stand out level everyday

32 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-I haven't listened yet to understand if any additional context around this, but I hope this gap isn't very wide and more importantly, we get more players at the stand out level everyday

I wouldn't read too much into that statement except the obvious, French, Goodwin and Thatch are his studs, and everyone else has a chance to contribute, minutes depending on how they perform in practice and games.  I don't think he has a set rotation yet.

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

I wouldn't read too much into that statement except the obvious, French, Goodwin and Thatch are his studs, and everyone else has a chance to contribute, minutes depending on how they perform in practice and games.  I don't think he has a set rotation yet.

That's how I took it as well. There's the vet 3 then the rest who are all  closely grouped. As time passes others will surface, Yurimania for sure, and make us a much improved team. I can see Jimerson making a leap if his shot starts to fall, because we need outside shooting so desperately. Overall it was a pretty positive discussion. 

Thanks Carter for the article and coverage. Since this door was recently opened, let me say that the writing in this article is definitely improved over previous ones. I wrote 30 or so sports articles for an ACC publication for two years and edited them obsessively for clarity. I made acquaintance with a high school English teacher, also a sports fan, who was interested in the fact that I had done some writing and wanted to read them. She said she could see improvement from start to finish and that the last several she wouldn't change anything.

Again, thanks for providing us with additional Billiken coverage.

slu72 likes this

• 4 weeks later...

It's always good to hear these podcasts.  For those who didn't hit the link, more that Ford said besides the prior post from Billnation08:

"If you want more minutes, your positives have to outweigh your negatives.  That's not happening with a lot of the newcomers."  He wants the positives to double the negatives.  A lot of the positives are player specific based on their resume.  Looking for block outs, block out missed, how you give up points, help defense rotation, deflections, etc.  [Very interesting discussion.]

Said Jordan's 19 rebounds were due to his 'relentless' mentality. 

Yuri doesn't practice the day before games - Ford's precaution.

He said he shouldn't have thrown Hankton into the game.  He is cleared to play, but not at 100%.

No time table on Thatch, but yes, he will be out for a while.

Tulane - Might be the most improved team in the country, to this point, compared to where they were last year.  Four of five starters are transfers.  Two starters are transfers from Kansas and Georgia. 

I highly recommend you spend 16 minutes and listen to the entire session.

TheChosenOne, Zink and Pistol like this

1 minute ago, wgstl said:

Interesting.  Is playing yuri right now the best thing?

and what kind of cramps last weeks? 

Don't know about Yuri.  Ford said it is him holding Yuri out, not Yuri asking out.  If you remember, Bess was held out of practice a lot last season. 

Didn't elaborate on the cramps.  But I find that strange.  Perhaps @Old guy an elaborate.

Amazing, Ford didn't say a word about @glazedandconfused talking to him about the rotation he is using.  That should have been headlines.

3 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Don't know about Yuri.  Ford said it is him holding Yuri out, not Yuri asking out.  If you remember, Bess was held out of practice a lot last season. 

im sure he doesnt want come out, gotta like that. But Bess as a senior, and as good as bess still was injured isnt the same with Yuri.  If Yuri's TOs are really caused by the hand problems, which im sure they are, but why not rest him asap so we can have a healthy Yuri. 

6 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Didn't elaborate on the cramps.  But I find that strange.  Perhaps @Old guy an elaborate.

Amazing, Ford didn't say a word about @glazedandconfused talking to him about the rotation he is using.  That should have been headlines.

He didn't talk about the net ratings and their importance in determining playing time? Maybe you should go back and re listen. I can't believe he would leave that out. 

HoosierPal likes this

8 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Just now, slufanskip said:

He didn't talk about the net ratings and their importance in determining playing time? Maybe you should go back and re listen. I can't believe he would leave that out. 

Imagine having a Brad Soderberg avatar so far in your head, that a story about a 19 yr old suffering from cramps makes you think about me haha

slufanskip and billikenbill like this

Don’t get all the snark flowing @glazedandconfused‘s way. 

There’s obviously more to the story with Thatch (and its right for coach not to go into detail). I’m starting to think we might not see him until well into the spring semester if at all. Wonder if a medical redshirt might be in play at some point if my conjecture is correct.  Hope they can remedy whatever is ailing him.  He seems like a helluva kid. 

37 minutes ago, wgstl said:

im sure he doesnt want come out, gotta like that. But Bess as a senior, and as good as bess still was injured isnt the same with Yuri.  If Yuri's TOs are really caused by the hand problems, which im sure they are, but why not rest him asap so we can have a healthy Yuri. 

I agree on Bess.  He had three years of Ford and knew the program.  Yuri has three months and doesn't know Ford's program.  He needs the repeats in practice.  I'm not second guessing the injuries contributing to the turnovers, but decision making is also a factor. 

billikenbill likes this

44 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'm pretty sure Ford uses only external websites and comments from our all-knowing-poster on this forum to figure out his game plan.

24 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Don’t get all the snark flowing @glazedandconfused‘s way. 

There’s obviously more to the story with Thatch (and its right for coach not to go into detail). I’m starting to think we might not see him until well into the spring semester if at all. Wonder if a medical redshirt might be in play at some point if my conjecture is correct.  Hope they can remedy whatever is ailing him.  He seems like a helluva kid. 

Agree about Thatch.

If it was just cramps give the guy a couple of bananas and a glass of Pedialyte and he’ll be good to go.

Hope it isn’t anything to serious.

15 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

If it just post workout cramps there are many products available. i suspect it is more than that. if it is just cramps, i have a product that i have had great success with weightlifters and other athletes that i would be glad to donate.

If rumors are to be believed the cramps are a byproduct of a bigger problem. 

brianstl and dennis_w like this

1 hour ago, slufanskip said:

If you can find one post where I claim offensive/defensive ratings should determine playing time I will donate to the website and delete my account.

At least @HoosierPal understands what is being posted on this thread. Even though he still thinks I am an idiot (totally his right to think so),  I have confidence he knows what he's reading.

4 minutes ago, glazedandconfused said:

If you can find one post where I claim offensive/defensive ratings should determine playing time I will donate to the website and delete my account.

At least @HoosierPal understands what is being posted on this thread. Even though he still thinks I am an idiot (totally his right to think so),  I have confidence he knows what he's reading.

Just having a little fun regarding our earlier discussion.  I even good posted your reply. 

Trust me I get the discussion and what's being posted. 

6 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Just having a little fun regarding our earlier discussion.  I even good posted your reply. 

Trust me I get the discussion and what's being posted. 

Ok fair. You're good in my eyes now skip. 

24 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

If rumors are to be believed the cramps are a byproduct of a bigger problem. 

What rumor?

slufanskip likes this