United States of College Basketball

RUBillsFan

As conferences go to 20 games schedules, scheduling is going to get tougher for SLU.  You can't just say you are never going to play a program again when that program can potentially offer you a resume building game and a quality home opponent.  This season we are basically serving as a buy game for a non top 100 ACC program and agreed to a 2 for 1 deal against Auburn to get power conference teams on the schedule.  Without scheduling programs like MSU in home/home series, you are going to really limit yourself when it comes to putting together an attractive non conference home schedule.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, White Pelican said:

There was a bit more to the tip-in call. The refs went to the monitors (which were linked to the MSU TV feed) and the time on the screen showed the shot was good. A few days later when a videotape from a camera on one of the baskets was viewed, it showed the tip-in and a clear view of the actual scoreboard (or maybe the basket-mounted clock).

The tape showed that Ian's tip clearly came after time expired. The TV feed time had not been properly synced to the official clock was the explanation given at the time. These days, I'm pretty sure the scorer's table monitors are independent of TV and are synced to the actual clock.

I'm pretty sure it was that game that led to the NCAA's decision to have all backboards have a red light-ring that would light up when time expires.  That would be the determining factor for replays.

2 hours ago, almaman said:

I would like to play Mizzou, Missouri St, SIU, Illinois every year. Goodbye Morehead St and their ilk. 

within a 4 hour drive, the following is who I want in order

Memphis

Louisville

Illinois

Butler

Illinois state

Indiana

SIU

Mo state

Bradley

Evansville

Indiana state

UMKC

Semo

almaman likes this

1 hour ago, Pistol said:

I agree. Lusk is gone and Majerus is dead. Both programs have completely different staffs. It's been almost a decade. They might be the best team in the state this year. Seems like an attractive opponent to me.

And to be completely clear, I am 100% opposed to SLU even considering joining the Valley. I just think a few MVC programs offer attractive rivalry games for us - Loyola, MSU, and SIUC.

8 minutes ago, brianstl said:

As conferences go to 20 games schedules, scheduling is going to get tougher SLU.  You can't just say you are never going to play a program again when that program can potentially offer you resume building game and a quality home opponent.  This season we are basically serving as a buy game for a non top 100 ACC program and agreed to a 2 for 1 deal against Auburn to get power conference teams on the schedule.  Without scheduling programs like MSU in home/home series, you are going to really limit yourself when it comes to putting together an attractive non conference home schedule.

Totally on board with both posts.  I have been negative on scheduling Valpo (this season) but let's hope their predicted bottom quartile finish in the Valley is an exception.  SIUC is as close to a rivalry as we have now.  (Dayton, okay somewhat.)  I'd much rather play three or four Valley schools preseason than SEMO, SIUE, Bethune-Cookman, Maryville, Highpoint, Rockhurst, NC Central, etc. 

Our games with P5 schools will become fewer and further between with their 20 game schedules.  With Missouri booking Kansas for the upcoming future, the chance of playing the Tigers has gone from slight to not gonna happen.  Our Challenge with the Mountain West is short term.  I hope it continues.  On my wish list is a challenge with the American Conference, but I'm not holding my breathe.  We need a sprinkling of Valley schools on our schedule and hope we pick the teams and years when those Valley teams are decent.  

While 99% of the time I would be in favor of SLU scheduling a game that the majority of its fan base can drive to, fahk Southwestern Missouri State forever. Yes, you should usually get over grudges between programs, but not when those incursions happen against RickMa. You don't pull that BS. 

There are numerous non-con opponents that bring multi-faceted benefits to try and get on our schedule, here are a few that I've been wanting for a while: 

-Mi$$ou and Illinois: Long shots, but keep calling. 

-SMU, Cincy, Memphis: Memphis and Cincy are strong AAC opponents with history that would get the fan bases fired up, also a drive-able distance, considerable alumni presence in Cincinnati. SMU is a school that shares a very similar profile with SLU, there is a massive SLU alumni presence in Dallas, and Dallas is recruiting ground Ford has history in and I'm sure he would love to get back to. 

-Any Big East team, but especially Butler, DePaul, and St. Johns: Butler is an easy drive, always fun to play at Hinkle. Chicago and New York games would be well attended by area alumni. 

-A not so obvious one - Arkansas: Fayetteville is an easy five hour drive away from the Lou, yes they are an SEC team with a lot of demands for a conference schedule, but SLU has no reason being immediate calling the Hogs (pun intended). Let's get an SEC team on the schedule. 

Billikens4life likes this

52 minutes ago, prebilliken said:

While 99% of the time I would be in favor of SLU scheduling a game that the majority of its fan base can drive to, fahk Southwestern Missouri State forever. Yes, you should usually get over grudges between programs, but not when those incursions happen against RickMa. You don't pull that BS. 

There are numerous non-con opponents that bring multi-faceted benefits to try and get on our schedule, here are a few that I've been wanting for a while: 

-Mi$$ou and Illinois: Long shots, but keep calling. 

-SMU, Cincy, Memphis: Memphis and Cincy are strong AAC opponents with history that would get the fan bases fired up, also a drive-able distance, considerable alumni presence in Cincinnati. SMU is a school that shares a very similar profile with SLU, there is a massive SLU alumni presence in Dallas, and Dallas is recruiting ground Ford has history in and I'm sure he would love to get back to. 

-Any Big East team, but especially Butler, DePaul, and St. Johns: Butler is an easy drive, always fun to play at Hinkle. Chicago and New York games would be well attended by area alumni. 

-A not so obvious one - Arkansas: Fayetteville is an easy five hour drive away from the Lou, yes they are an SEC team with a lot of demands for a conference schedule, but SLU has no reason being immediate calling the Hogs (pun intended). Let's get an SEC team on the schedule. 

-you think that fans of any of these programs would be fired up to see a series with us? fired up?

-I guess you mean another as we have Auburn for this season and the next two

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-you think that fans of any of these programs would be fired up to see a series with us? fired up?

Question 1: Yes, if we are a back to back tourney team. Otherwise, no, I am conscious of where the Bills stand in the College Basketball zeitgeist, so better question, who would be fired up to see us? 

Question 2: My statement neither grammatically implies adding another, or not, as when we schedule Arkansas they may well be the only SEC team on the schedule. I am aware we are playing Auburn.  

I think we are going to be lucky to get a one home/home series a decade against a Big East team now.  The Big East is going to a 20 game conference schedule, they have the Gavitt Tipoff, the Big East/Big 12 Challenge and then the exempt tournament games. That gets you to 26 games. Then you add 3 buy games to get to 29.  How many of you think SLU is going to be on the list of any of those schools for one of the two open slots on their schedule for two years?

Just take Big East teams off your list for future home/home series opponents. 

3star_recruit likes this

2 hours ago, brianstl said:

As conferences go to 20 games schedules, scheduling is going to get tougher SLU.  You can't just say you are never going to play a program again when that program can potentially offer you resume building game and a quality home opponent.  This season we are basically serving as a buy game for a non top 100 ACC program and agreed to a 2 for 1 deal against Auburn to get power conference teams on the schedule.  Without scheduling programs like MSU in home/home series, you are going to really limit yourself when it comes to putting together an attractive non conference home schedule.

This can't be overstated.

Let's take a typical Big Ten team's schedule. That conference has gone to 20 games, leaving 7 additional "non-exempt" contests and up to 4 additional games from "exempt" events (or 9 if you don't play in a non-exempt event).

They need 18 home games apiece to satisfy season ticket holders, so 8 of those are non-conference games. Most non-exempt tournaments have 1-2 early round games at home and another 1-2 at a neutral site but it can be up to 4 on a neutral floor. They might have another neutral game if the non-exempt tournament is a 3-game event.

The conference has the Gavitt Games with the Big East and ACC-Big Ten Challenge, giving them 2 quality non-conference games per year, 1 of which is likely to be at home and 1 on the road.

So power conference teams with 20-game conference schedules are now down to about 4-5 buy games per season.

They might have room for another good game outside of these other obligations.

Look at Iowa this season. They've got an exhibition game, 4 buy games (SIUE, ORU, Cal Poly, Kennesaw State), Gavitt Games (DePaul), 3 games in a non-exempt event with 1 at home (UNF at home, then Vegas for 2 more), ACC-Big Ten Challenge (Syracuse), the game they play every year vs. Iowa State, and a neutral game vs. Cincinnati. That's it. There is not a single slot for an outside game unless they wanted to give up buy games for a quality series. But they won't, because why would they? They already get a major SOS boost from the conference, ISU, the early tournament, Gavitt, and B10-ACC games.

tl;dr - Home-and-home series with power conference teams are going away. We need to take quality games/series where we can get them, we need to play in a non-exempt tournament every year, we need the Mountain West series game every year, and we have very little margin for error.

35 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Memphis is trying to elevate itself to a top 20 program. Penny is loading up on top 100 recruits. I don't think a home and home with them is in the cards anytime soon.  And to paraphrase Brian, the top conferences moving to 20 games is a game changer.  A mid-major's best chance of solidifying their NET ranking is squaring off against the best mid-majors they can in the non-conference.

1 minute ago, 3star_recruit said:

Memphis is trying to elevate itself to a top 20 program. Penny is loading up on top 100 recruits. I don't think a home and home with them is in the cards anytime soon.  And to paraphrase Brian, the top conferences moving to 20 games is a game changer.  A mid-major's best chance of solidifying their NET ranking is squaring off against the best mid-majors they can in the non-conference.

Exactly why (this year) we needed MO State on our schedule.

On the exempt events I really think what SLU has done the last few years is the future of those.  I think the a few of the big boy bracketed events will survive because they generate enough revenue, but the non bracketed events that get a team the equivalent of 3 buy games to schedule at home will be the majority.  It will give teams with 20 conference games some extra flexibility when it comes to scheduling non-conference games. 

11 hours ago, wgstl said:

within a 4 hour drive, the following is who I want in order

Memphis

Louisville

Illinois

Butler

Illinois state

Indiana

SIU

Mo state

Bradley

Evansville

Indiana state

UMKC

Semo

Great list. Add Marquette even though they are over 4 hours away.