When the game counts

slu72

Exhibition game out of the way- check!

Now we get down to the real business at hand. I know squat about FGCU, except for that run back in '12. However, this game is going to count when the powers that be start to do their ratings. So many of them today, I don't know where to begin. But this game will count. Not much as a positive if we W, but possibly a big black mark if we lose.

Assume for a minute we somehow get to 20 W's, lose in the finals of the A10, but have a loss to a 10-22 FCGU on our resume. Ain't gonna help matters much. Mids are always on a razor's edge for at large bids. We don't need to give the committee any food for thought. Of course, when all is said is done I don't expect us to be in the running for anything at season's end but the CBI. But one can always dream, can't one? I'd hate to see Jay Bilas say, boy that loss to FCGU back in November just sticks out like a sore thumb. 

Travis sighted nerves as the reason for a lot of the problems the team experienced against WKU, or was it KWU? I wonder what their mindset is going into a real game that will actually start the D1 meter? Some things need to change. If Jimerson is going to get minutes and a greenlight to shoot good shots- hit some. Jacobs has to show a little more than whatever he did against KWU or WKU. All I got from his game was he can be good on D. Yurimania, my main man, treasure the rock. Perkins 8 points in 9 minutes, how do you overlook that?  Our veteran 3 does what they do both on D and O, just please hit some freebies.

3 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Exhibition game out of the way- check!

Now we get down to the real business at hand. I know squat about FGCU, except for that run back in '12. However, this game is going to count when the powers that be start to do their ratings. So many of them today, I don't know where to begin. But this game will count. Not much as a positive if we W, but possibly a big black mark if we lose.

Assume for a minute we somehow get to 20 W's, lose in the finals of the A10, but have a loss to a 10-22 FCGU on our resume. Ain't gonna help matters much. Mids are always on a razor's edge for at large bids. We don't need to give the committee any food for thought. Of course, when all is said is done I don't expect us to be in the running for anything at season's end but the CBI. But one can always dream, can't one? I'd hate to see Jay Bilas say, boy that loss to FCGU back in November just sticks out like a sore thumb. 

Travis sighted nerves as the reason for a lot of the problems the team experienced against WKU, or was it KWU? I wonder what their mindset is going into a real game that will actually start the D1 meter? Some things need to change. If Jimerson is going to get minutes and a greenlight to shoot good shots- hit some. Jacobs has to show a little more than whatever he did against KWU or WKU. All I got from his game was he can be good on D. Yurimania, my main man, treasure the rock. Perkins 8 points in 9 minutes, how do you overlook that?  Our veteran 3 does what they do both on D and O, just please hit some freebies.

Schools in the A-10 don't sniff at-large bids with 20 wins the way teams from the Big 10, ACC, Big 12, SEC, and Pac-12 do.  I suppose it will take 22-24 wins to be in serious contention for an at-large bid.

Any chance you're dyslexic when it comes to initials?  (It's not FCGU for Florida Gulf Coast U. — but at least you did get it right once.)

3 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Schools in the A-10 don't sniff at-large bids with 20 wins the way teams from the Big 10, ACC, Big 12, SEC, and Pac-12 do.  I suppose it will take 22-24 wins to be in serious contention for an at-large bid.

Agree.  In those 22-24 wins, we need to beat Seton Hall or KSU or Auburn (or a couple of them) and win at either Dayton or Davidson, and beat VCU here.  We need 3 or 4 wins out of these 6 games to sniff an At Large Bubble.  These are our likely Quad 1 games that factor heavily into the selection criteria.

31 minutes ago, slu72 said:

Travis sighted nerves as the reason for a lot of the problems the team experienced against WKU, or was it KWU?

With the number of new faces and new roles, it probably doesn't make sense to focus too heavily on the game the other night. Take away some things from guys individually, but overall early season games are probably going to have a fairly wide delta with this team. I am looking forward to Tuesday night and seeing this team hopefully grow over the next few weeks. I assume Bell will have had enough time to recover to contribute on Tuesday?

Podcast with Coach Ford, talking about summer workouts, upcoming season, French and Goodwin have to be leaders for this team to be successful (and they have to bring Thatch along), and Florida Gulf Coast.  Complemented FGCC culture in past five years.  Said the fan support for this first game is as important as the game itself.  Looking to survive the non-conference, and will the games we are supposed to win.  

He said that the five freshmen all have to play their roll but they have to follow French and Goodwin and the other returners.

CBFan likes this