Observations about Kentucky Wesleyan game

cgeldmacher

I don't think Taj or any of the other guys that would start this discussion had access to watch the game, so I thought I'd start a thread.  Here are my thoughts from Section 102.

- FRENCH - French dominated and could have had 30 or more.  He also could have had 20 rebounds.  However, this game was like going up against Vianney.  They didn't have a chance against Has.  It won't be the same against other teams, but, hopefully, this game was a sign that Has is ready to take the next step.  Also, his free throw technique looked completely different, and much better.

- GOODWIN - Goodwin looked like Goodwin from most of last season.  He was there.  He contributed.  However, nothing about this performance against lesser competition showed that he's ready to average 15 a game.  It just one game, though.

- THATCH - Thatch did look like a guy ready to make a leap forward.  He turned his defense into points.  He didn't necessarily make all the shots we would have wanted, but it looked like the scoring for him is ready to come together.

- THE TIERS - Going into the game, we heard that Jacobs and Bell would start, that there was a group in the middle that would get serious time, and Hargrove and Diarra were far behind.  From what I saw, there was very little difference between Hargrove and Jacobs and very little difference between Diarra and Bell.  I will say that Diarra seemed better conditioned and more lively on his feet.  This is not intended to take anything away from Bell and Jacobs.  I'm only pointing out that the supporting cast all seems to be in the conversation for playing time.  Heck, Hargrove was 1 for 1 from 3.  Also, Hargrove had a large contingent of family and friends at the game.  Glad to see he got in and had some success in the 2nd half.

- YURI - You can tell that he can be a spark plug for the offensive engine.  However, he didn't use his unique abilities much as it was clear he wanted to stick to the offensive plan.  I would suggest that the coaching staff develop a new play called "Yuri Hero Mode."  When they call that play, the regular offense goes out the window, Yuri gets the ball at the top of the key, and then he gets to create.  Have the guys give him some movement, but, otherwise, its just him making the play ala Isabelle last year.

- JIMERSON - It was a tough shooting night for him.  Clearly he has confidence in his shot and so does the coaching staff.  He needs to keep shooting.  It was encouraging to see that he was able to make other shots even though the 3 ball wasn't falling for him.  He also looked decent defensively.

- PERKINS - Didn't get much time, but when he was in there, you saw that he has a knack for scoring.  At one point, I looked up saw that he had 8 points, even though it seemed that he had barely been in the game.

Those are my thoughts.  Feel free to add on if you had a chance to watch the game.

• davidnark changed the title to Observations about Kentucky Wesleyan game

I was there. I agree with everything you said, but I think there is close to no data of value that could be gained by this game. The only reason it wasn't a 50+ point win is because KY W shot way better than their mean from 3, and we shot well below our mean from 3. 

The athletic discrepancy between these two teams was absurd. I miss the days when teams played exhibitions against traveling teams of former D1 players. Those were much more valuable experiences for the team and the fans. 

1 hour ago, davidnark said:

I was there. I agree with everything you said, but I think there is close to no data of value that could be gained by this game. The only reason it wasn't a 50+ point win is because KY W shot way better than their mean from 3, and we shot well below our mean from 3. 

The athletic discrepancy between these two teams was absurd. I miss the days when teams played exhibitions against traveling teams of former D1 players. Those were much more valuable experiences for the team and the fans. 

Yeah, I don't understand what the NCAA was thinking when they decided to ban the traveling teams.  Were they trying to help the Division 2 programs?

(If I could award you a good post reaction, I would.)

20 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Yeah, I don't understand what the NCAA was thinking when they decided to ban the traveling teams.  Were they trying to help the Division 2 programs?

(If I could award you a good post reaction, I would.)

A quick look at The Google shows that the ban was enacted in 2003 but I can't find the exact reason. Something about "a half-baked attempt to stamp out recruiting flim-flammery" was what  I found in a 2004 article, specifically about Athletes In Action and how they'd no longer get to play Division I teams. I haven't a clue why playing the barnstormers could lead to recruiting irregularities.

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/billiken-report-card-nerves-rust-and-poor-shooting-makes-things-to-close-for-comfort-in-the-billikens-exhibition-opener/

Here is an interesting review on the Exhibition by Chapley.  I like the quote Ford had on Bell.

“Right now, Jimmy is his greatest critic, and he gets really down on himself in games. And we tell him it’s ok to get upset, but what do you do when you get upset? Do you buckle down? He tends to lower his shoulder. So, we gotta (sic) get that out of him…the reason I didn’t start him in the second half was more about Yuri, but also telling him ‘you gotta (sic) stay positive’, we need you in their fighting.”

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

cgeldmaker there are 3+ pages of post game comments and observations on the GDT

I know that, but the "game day thread" is just that.  I expect to see people's comments about the game when its happening on there.  Usually, there's another thread about people's thoughts a day or so after the game is over.  Since the game wasn't televised in any way, I didn't know if anyone was going to do the "observations" thread.  So, I decided to do one.

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

https://www.scoopswithdannymac.com/billiken-report-card-nerves-rust-and-poor-shooting-makes-things-to-close-for-comfort-in-the-billikens-exhibition-opener/

Here is an interesting review on the Exhibition by Chapley.  I like the quote Ford had on Bell.

“Right now, Jimmy is his greatest critic, and he gets really down on himself in games. And we tell him it’s ok to get upset, but what do you do when you get upset? Do you buckle down? He tends to lower his shoulder. So, we gotta (sic) get that out of him…the reason I didn’t start him in the second half was more about Yuri, but also telling him ‘you gotta (sic) stay positive’, we need you in their fighting.”

This is just one of those grammarian nitpicks that I know many of you hate about me, but I find it weird that Chapley would feel the necessity to suggest that Coach Ford's "gotta" was the speaker's "mistake" rather than the writer's (with "sic") but then use "their" when it's supposed to be "there."  (I'm assuming Chapley was quoting Ford's verbal statement; if it had been a written statement, then leave "gotta" alone — because it's common knowledge that it's a colloquial contraction of "got to" — and put "sic" after "their.")

*ducks*

rgbilliken and Bilzz like this

35 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

This is just one of those grammarian nitpicks that I know many of you hate about me, but I find it weird that Chapley would feel the necessity to suggest that Coach Ford's "gotta" was the speaker's "mistake" rather than the writer's (with "sic") but then use "their" when it's supposed to be "there."  (I'm assuming Chapley was quoting Ford's verbal statement; if it had been a written statement, then leave "gotta" alone — because it's common knowledge that it's a colloquial contraction of "got to" — and put "sic" after "their.")

*ducks*

I’m smiling at you.  

i do need to thank you for a common spelling correction you alerted me to a year ago. Every-time I now use lose in a sentence I make sure it isn’t loose. 

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

*ducks*

My daughter is in journalism and has edited many articles. I suggested she let Carter know she would edit his articles for him but I think she thought that would be insulting. I like the info he provides and want him to be successful 

6 minutes ago, slusam said:

My daughter is in journalism and has edited many articles. I suggested she let Carter know she would edit his articles for him but I think she thought that would be insulting. I like the info he provides and want him to be successful 

He needs an editor.  Good info but questionable writing at times. Caught a misused “their” in the write up as well.  It doesn’t bug me, but like you said, I want him to be successful.

1 hour ago, moytoy12 said:

He needs an editor.  Good info but questionable writing at times. Caught a misused “their” in the write up as well.  It doesn’t bug me, but like you said, I want him to be successful.

This really goes up to Scoops with Danny Mac.  Chapley writes for the site.   That is where this article originated; so you think someone related the the website would review for factual and editorial errors.

Zink likes this

3 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

*ducks*

Good points.

14 hours ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

*ducks*

Most publications' style guides advise against using colloquialisms in quoted material.  The New York Times takes a hard stance against it, as readers could perceive it as patronizing. The AP Stylebook, which I use in my writing for work, says only to use it to "help a desired touch or convey an emphasis by the speaker."   

So basically, Carter could've spelled out "got to" or used "gotta" for emphasis, but the gotta/sic combo was not necessary.

But then again, this ain't* the New York Times.

*Acceptable in quoted material

22 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

I don't think Taj or any of the other guys that would start this discussion had access to watch the game, so I thought I'd start a thread.  Here are my thoughts from Section 102.

- FRENCH - French dominated and could have had 30 or more.  He also could have had 20 rebounds.  However, this game was like going up against Vianney.  They didn't have a chance against Has.  It won't be the same against other teams, but, hopefully, this game was a sign that Has is ready to take the next step.  Also, his free throw technique looked completely different, and much better.

- GOODWIN - Goodwin looked like Goodwin from most of last season.  He was there.  He contributed.  However, nothing about this performance against lesser competition showed that he's ready to average 15 a game.  It just one game, though.

- THATCH - Thatch did look like a guy ready to make a leap forward.  He turned his defense into points.  He didn't necessarily make all the shots we would have wanted, but it looked like the scoring for him is ready to come together.

- THE TIERS - Going into the game, we heard that Jacobs and Bell would start, that there was a group in the middle that would get serious time, and Hargrove and Diarra were far behind.  From what I saw, there was very little difference between Hargrove and Jacobs and very little difference between Diarra and Bell.  I will say that Diarra seemed better conditioned and more lively on his feet.  This is not intended to take anything away from Bell and Jacobs.  I'm only pointing out that the supporting cast all seems to be in the conversation for playing time.  Heck, Hargrove was 1 for 1 from 3.  Also, Hargrove had a large contingent of family and friends at the game.  Glad to see he got in and had some success in the 2nd half.

- YURI - You can tell that he can be a spark plug for the offensive engine.  However, he didn't use his unique abilities much as it was clear he wanted to stick to the offensive plan.  I would suggest that the coaching staff develop a new play called "Yuri Hero Mode."  When they call that play, the regular offense goes out the window, Yuri gets the ball at the top of the key, and then he gets to create.  Have the guys give him some movement, but, otherwise, its just him making the play ala Isabelle last year.

- JIMERSON - It was a tough shooting night for him.  Clearly he has confidence in his shot and so does the coaching staff.  He needs to keep shooting.  It was encouraging to see that he was able to make other shots even though the 3 ball wasn't falling for him.  He also looked decent defensively.

- PERKINS - Didn't get much time, but when he was in there, you saw that he has a knack for scoring.  At one point, I looked up saw that he had 8 points, even though it seemed that he had barely been in the game.

Those are my thoughts.  Feel free to add on if you had a chance to watch the game.

I am enthused by these observations. I just hope we don't lose important non conf games (seton hall) because chemistry and the lineup is not figured out yet.  I am going tuesday for Dunk City, so lets get this thing started.