End of November

almaman

2 minutes ago, The 2016 Billiken said:

No need to be a jerk, especially when you're wrong. 

Did SLU require a math class when you went there?

Lmao, how did you get an answer other than 16? I would like to see you reasoning (though i already know you assumed the 2 outside the parenthesis should be multiplied with the 4 inside first) However that it incorrect. Just google the question once or ask a 10 year old haha.

See?

Bring this up at your Thanksgiving festivities today. It will get the conversations flowing.

I’ve asked a lot of people this question and it’s been split 50/50 between 16 and 1.

I originally said 1 but after a lot of google research and math websites it seems that 16 is correct.

The reasoning I’ve seen is that Multiplication and Division are done before addition and Subtraction like it says in PEMDAS.

However Multiplication and Division are equal so they are done left to right as are Addition and Subtraction. 

You gotta love it when Billikens.Com veers off course.  For what it's worth, I'm a math doofus and I came up with 16 immediately, having learned pemdas with my kids.  My smart kids said 1 until they were proven wrong.  They'restill irritated about it. 

50 minutes ago, GBL_Bills said:

The whole things a trick. People don’t actually write that division symbol. You’re supposed to be able to do multiplication and division in any order, but this problem is written in such a way that order does matter. 

This. It’s written in a way to be purposefully misleading. Any non-sociopath would write it as either 8/(2(2+2)) or (8/2)*(2+2) depending on the intent. 

Also apparently in some parts of the world they teach PEDMAS not PEMDAS so it’s doubly confusing. 

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

8/2*(2+2)

8/2*(4) - you still with me cheeseman?

4*4 

I didn't think I would be spending my Thanksgiving dunking on adults using 4th grade math, but here we are.

Most respectful posters would not be dunking on any one just enjoying family and a Billikens 6-1 record and a road win.

A whole lot to be thankful for Happy Thanksgiving the Bills rule NCAA tournament or bust.

48 minutes ago, Band Legend said:

You gotta love it when Billikens.Com veers off course.  For what it's worth, I'm a math doofus and I came up with 16 immediately, having learned pemdas with my kids.  My smart kids said 1 until they were proven wrong.  They'restill irritated about it. 

A Thanksgiving miracle.

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

You better go back to math class.  2+2 = 4x2 = 8 divided by 8 = 1    Always do the  () first.  Basic Algebra 

1 hour ago, cheeseman said:

Unfortunately you are still wrong - if you look at my work I did multiply the 2.  You always do the stuff in the parenthesis first - look it up.  I know it is hard to imagine an adult not knowing basic algebra but apparently you do not.

I do feel bad for dunking on cheeseman but he was throwing a little heat so I had to throw some right back.

That being said I am thankful for a 6-1 record and hopefully 10-3 by conference play

1 hour ago, glazedandconfused said:

I do feel bad for dunking on cheeseman but he was throwing a little heat so I had to throw some right back.

That being said I am thankful for a 6-1 record and hopefully 10-3 by conference play

The game against Maryville MO does not count. If you factor in 3 losses then we will end ooc at 9-3.

11 minutes ago, Old guy said:

The game against Maryville MO does not count. If you factor in 3 losses then we will end ooc at 9-3.

Good Grief!  Can we never stop being confused over D 2 games and their impact on our records?

They are NOT exhibition games and DO count on our record----look at past years in the record books.  BUT....................

They are NOT counted in the NCAA Selection Committee meetings or in any of the TV discussions about the NCAA Selection process by Bilas/Dickie V.  and others.

Most years, if we schedule a D 2 school it is at the beginning of the year, not midway through December.  My best guess is that we scheduled Maryville U. because we needed another home game  and couldn't come up with a D 1 opponent when it came time to release the schedule. Hopefully, we will not need to do that in the future.  I'd much rather see a school with some local interest (e.g. SIU-E; Bradley; SEMO ) than a D 2 game that will be poorly attended.

1 hour ago, bauman said:

Good Grief!  Can we never stop being confused over D 2 games and their impact on our records?

They are NOT exhibition games and DO count on our record----look at past years in the record books.  BUT....................

They are NOT counted in the NCAA Selection Committee meetings or in any of the TV discussions about the NCAA Selection process by Bilas/Dickie V.  and others.

Most years, if we schedule a D 2 school it is at the beginning of the year, not midway through December.  My best guess is that we scheduled Maryville U. because we needed another home game  and couldn't come up with a D 1 opponent when it came time to release the schedule. Hopefully, we will not need to do that in the future.  I'd much rather see a school with some local interest (e.g. SIU-E; Bradley; SEMO ) than a D 2 game that will be poorly attended.

You mean you are not going to the Christmas Party! 

1 hour ago, bauman said:

So when they do the selecting they look at a teams overall record as being every game - D-2 games? So if we's swept regular season we'd be looked at as 29-0 not 30-0?

34 minutes ago, slu72 said:

To really be l considered for an at large bid, we'd have to beat either Auburn or KSU or both. Than finish at least 4th in A10. I figure that would be 12-6. Not sure that would cut it, but at least should put us on the bubble. Long ways to go. 

Yes there is a long way to go but there is a lot of hope because our team will improve.  Our best has yet to come and if the Ford coaching trend continues our best will be in February.