GDT - Crush Wesleyan

6 hours ago, RiseOfTheBillikens said:

Side note: Andre Craig (the emcee) is the best thing to happen to billiken basketball in a while. He really adds alot to the fan fair and is very good at getting all the fans involved. Whoever in the AD made that decision. Hats off to you. Please keep him around.  I was thinking maybe he could just take over for Guy, but that's probably not possible. 

Seriously, we should do a Gofundme for him if he ever thinks about leaving.

And a Gofundme to get Gus the eff outta there.

Bills_06 and RiseAndGrind like this

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My takeaways from last night was that if French hits free throws he is in the mix for A10 POY.  French was light on his feet and moved so well you can see that he had a Conklin summer.

Goodwin is ready but he must finish bunnies and hit free throws, missing two must stop he must hit at least one when he is awarded two shots.

Hankton rebounded hit a jump shot and finished bunnies and I think he should start.

Weaver defended hit a 3 pointer and looked comfortable on the court I think he should start.

Fred Thatch could not hit a jump shot but he was tenacious on defense and rebounding.

Jacobs is long and defended well did not make mistakes however he did not shoot well.

I really liked what I saw from Perkins in the second half, he is bigger than I thought and I think he should start.  He finished well with a rebound and hit a 3 pointer.  Perkins 3 point shot was flat does any one know if his jump shot is a line drive type shot?

Hargrove got a nice ovation when he came out on the court and looked better than our walkons and I think he will help this season.

Collins was fun to watch, he defends and runs the ball up to the front court well.  Yuri is work in progress the two turnovers were bad passes but he is learning about the speed of the college game.  Yuri is going to help this team.

Bell did a lot of things that coaches teach big men not to do such as bringing the ball low allowing the defender to knock the ball out of his hands and not finishing under the basket.  I thought his stamina looked good but he made too many mistakes.

Diarra was a big surprise he was the first guy down on the offensive end I thought he was fast and if he can finish be catching a pass and laying it in then he will be a great option on a fast break.

Poor Jimerson could not hit a jump shot and missed a free throw.  Jimerson played hard defended and tried other ways to score.  I think he will be a big help this season.

Starters based on last night Perkins, Hankton, Weaver, French, and Goodwin.  This lineup gives the team outside and inside scoring and rebounding.  Bell relieves Hankton and French, Thatch and Collins relieves the guards and Jimerson relieves Perkins.

Old guy, TheA_Bomb and Zink like this

35 minutes ago, slu72 said:

One bad game by Jimerson does not a season make. Plenty of games left to pass final judgement on him. But, yeah, scoring buckets could be a continuing problem, and we don't have an Isabell or Bess to stem the bleeding. Really bummed by the less than 50% on FT's. I thought for sure we'd see improvement here. That will cost us games. I didn't expect French to improve by much, and after listening to Highmark's comments on Frank's show, he'll continue to struggle because he still shoots them w/ a bad rotation. JGood's got to improve. 

True, the numbers are what they are, 10-21.  But most players only went to the line once.  It's hard to get a rhythm with just one trip.  Jimerson went twice, everyone else pretty much only once. Give it time.   (Ky Wes went 2 of 10 from the line.)   

And just like last season's team took quite a long time to gell, this team may take longer.

1 hour ago, 3star_recruit said:

Takeaways from the exhibition:

The freshmen were a bundle of nerves.

The pace picked up when Yuri replaced Bell in the 2nd half.

We got from the big 3 about what we expected to get.

Good things happened on offense when Perkins was on the floor.

I agree with all of this.  We just need to hit a few shots to get our confidence. It was a little frustrating to watch Goodwins freethrows.  He had 4 months to work on it and the shot looks the same as last year. Almost banked the first one.

CBFan likes this

26 minutes ago, slu72 said:

One bad game by Jimerson does not a season make. Plenty of games left to pass final judgement on him. But, yeah, scoring buckets could be a continuing problem, and we don't have an Isabell or Bess to stem the bleeding. Really bummed by the less than 50% on FT's. I thought for sure we'd see improvement here. That will cost us games. I didn't expect French to improve by much, and after listening to Highmark's comments on Frank's show, he'll continue to struggle because he still shoots them w/ a bad rotation. JGood's got to improve

man he was 4 assists short of a triple double with a team leading 4 steals as well with only 2 turnovers.   what do you want?

13 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

man he was 4 assists short of a triple double with a team leading 4 steals as well with only 2 turnovers.   what do you want?

I was talking about FT's. Rest of his game is solid as a rock. I thought for sure he'd work on FT's over the summer. Let's see what develops, but the whole team shooting less than 50% from the line just ain't gonna cut it. 

9 minutes ago, slu72 said:

I was talking about FT's. Rest of his game is solid as a rock. I thought for sure he'd work on FT's over the summer. Let's see what develops, but the whole team shooting less than 50% from the line just ain't gonna cut it. 

Question, how do you know Goodwin didn't work on his FT during the summer?  [That is how I interpret your remark.]

im sticking with the team is not being coached on mechanics.   note that is purely me talking.   no one has told me that.   but imo they all look exactly like they did last year.   no  way anyone tried to take french and goodwin and break down their free throws over the summer.   i would bet their free throw practice amounts to "go over there and shoot 100 free throws".   well if you practice bad habits they wont get better.  

Just now, billiken_roy said:

im sticking with the team is not being coached on mechanics.   note that is purely me talking.   no one has told me that.   but imo they all look exactly like they did last year.   no  way anyone tried to take french and goodwin and break down their free throws over the summer.   i would bet their free throw practice amounts to "go over there and shoot 100 free throws".   well if you practice bad habits they wont get better.  

That's not what Hasahn said on an interview I heard a week or so ago.

8 minutes ago, RUBillsFan said:

I'll die on my Hasahn should be shooting FTs underhanded horse.  He's a historically awful FT shooter.

I mean, he went from 36.4% as a freshman down to 34.9% as a sophomore (Shaq was never that bad), so I assume close to the point where you would be willing to try anything. I guess we will see how things look early in the season to see if some improvement was made in the off-season.

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Hasahn took 2 FTs last night he was going to shoot 100, 50, or 0%. I’m not ready to make any assumptions on an improvement or lack thereof on 2 shots.

This is true.  I should probably reserve judgement a little while longer.  However, IMO there is ample evidence from his first 2 seasons that he should have practiced shooting underhanded all off-season instead of trying to re-work his overhand shot.

43 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Question, how do you know Goodwin didn't work on his FT during the summer?  [That is how I interpret your remark.]

I never said he didn't.  I'm sure he did. Just didn't see the results of it last night. Let'a see how it goes from here. 

4 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

Hasahn took 2 FTs last night he was going to shoot 100, 50, or 0%. I’m not ready to make any assumptions on an improvement or lack thereof on 2 shots.

Fwiw, the ball's rotation looked much better on his made free throw than it did at pretty much any point last year. 

Im not going to jump right in and say this team cant shoot, because it was just one game, and the first game at that. But, it doesn't take a ton of games to know if the team can or cannot shoot. We'll know by valpo/eastern Washington if this team has an offense or not. 

51 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

sorta true, sorta not. Like golf, you can have a bad swing and be fine or good.  french or goodwin can have bad mechanics and still make free throws, that is, unless the bad mechanics means their form changes every shot. 

I just wanted to provide a series of the stats for the game last night. We dominated the second half, total points 77 SLU vs 48 KW, we developed this lead mostly in the second half. Rebounds 50 SLU (20 of which were offensive) vs 21 KW. Turnovers 12 SLU vs 21 KW. Steals 13 SLU vs 8 KW. FT 47.6% SLU vs 20% KW. I do not know if the better results in the second half came from KW getting tired and SLU continuing to press. We outdefended, outrebounded, outscored, and caused a lot more turnovers than we had.

It was not an elegant game, but we kept them out of balance enough to beat them despite their very good results (and our very poor results) with 3 pt shooting. KW scored 40% of their 3 point attempts, we only scored 14.6% of them.

We need to get over the initial jitters playing D1 (applicable to the freshmen) and start scoring better. Bell needs to keep the ball out of reach of the opponents. Overall I thought it was a good start and that we have a strong foundation to build on for the rest of the season.

CBFan likes this

40 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

This

Imagine trying to make assumptions on their summer work based on an exhibition where Goodwin shot TWO FREE THROWS

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

33 minutes ago, wgstl said:

sorta true, sorta not. Like golf, you can have a bad swing and be fine or good.  french or goodwin can have bad mechanics and still make free throws, that is, unless the bad mechanics means their form changes every shot. 

I’m with WG on this one.

If I went out and shot 100 free throws a day for 4 months straight, bad mechanics or not, I bet I’d be shooting at over a 60% clip by the start of the season.

44 minutes ago, wgstl said:

See Bill Cartwright (shot 77% at the line for his career). 

Just now, moytoy12 said:

See Bill Cartwright (shot 77% at the line for his career). 

The fact you have to go back 30+ years to find an example stands against the point imo.

Hand behind the ball, minimum interference from off hand would at least combat the left/right issues and immediately help.  French I didn’t expect huge improvements from for whatever reason but if Goodwin really hit the backboard before the rim last night, (as one poster suggested) then that is very disappointing bc he will have the ball in crunch time.  The Davidson loss was absolutely brutal last year.  Was hoping for significant improvement from JG