Kentucky Wesleyan game

bauman

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

tillman played 20 mpg in both his freshman and sophomore seasons.    i doubt the average mpg for freshmen and sophomores across the country in D1 basketball is that high. 

apparently you want/expect bell to be a dominate all american center from day one playing 30+ minutes and scoring 20 and getting 12 rebounds.   guess what, he wouldnt be here if that was the case.  we all recognized he and diarra were projects.  the fact it now appears he is further along than all expected and he might average nearly 20 minutes a game as a freshman should be a time of joy and expectations of greatness that might happen down the road.   for some reason you want to throw cold water and are upset he is getting his chance sooner than any of use expected.   not the sheltiedave i thought i knew from years ago.    

well said billiken_roy.

33 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

It is not getting weird at all. There are some Pollyannas on the forum who are projecting that Bell has enough strength, stamina, and positioning skills to be starting center in the A10, and hold his own for major minutes during the season.

There are some of us who question his fitness and knowledge level, and probably recognize that Ford, who is a master motivator, can use this as a tactic to maximize and reward Bell for his efforts, and also accelerate his learning by giving him as much PT as possible. Ford creates a win-win situation.

Tillman has not mastered rotation defense and positioning in Columbia, and his high ranking and obvious skill set were all for naught his freshman year. If you are a split second late on rotation, and lean in with your hands in the paint, you stack up fouls and sit.

Ford wants to make noise in the second half of the season, and make the dance again. The only path to that goal is by being a hardheaded, demanding mother. Bell is our best hope at center, and that position is our greatest weakness on the team. For having one of the three all time best PFs, and our best off guard ever, we need Bell to improve incredibly, and that begins with realistically recognizing his current weaknesses.

I don’t ***** at all during games on this forum, but I have no problem being a realist going into the season, and coming out of the season. 

Good post, albeit with some questionable claims.  However, if you're saying this year's squad has SLU's best-ever off guard....?!  Then you must have forgotten Larry Hughes.

NextYearBill likes this

There are too many people on this forum who put words to other people posting.

i expect  Bell to get 2-3 minutes at a stretch, and sit for 5-8 minutes. I expect his bench time to stretch out due to some poor positioning, some silly reaches and some bad leans.

i will be pleasantly surprised if he does equal play/sit stretches, or nets over 18 minutes.

3 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

There are too many people on this forum who put words to other people posting.

i expect  Bell to get 2-3 minutes at a stretch, and sit for 5-8 minutes. I expect his bench time to stretch out due to some poor positioning, some silly reaches and some bad leans.

i will be pleasantly surprised if he does equal play/sit stretches, or nets over 18 minutes.

i would have bet a lot of money bell wouldnt get 10 minutes a game had someone wanted to bet 2 months ago.   i'll take 18 and rejoice that our center of the future is here. 

Is it ok to say that I question Bell's stamina, as I would with most freshman bigs not to mention one that has lost nearly 100 pounds, AND also say that I'm impressed by all the hard work the kid has put in and encouraged by all the positive reports coming from Coach Ford ? :ph34r: 

5 minutes ago, ACE said:

That doesn't figure to be a very good shooting lineup.

3 minutes ago, moytoy12 said:

Tend to agree with you. Hopefully, Thatch and Jacobs give this lineup some shooting punch.

Oh, I don't know.  We've been reading that Thatch is one of the top three shooters on the team (along with Jimerson and Hankton), and Jacobs came in billed as a shooter.

You don't have to have all five guys able to shoot from the perimeter.  Also, I believe this year we'll see more mid-range jumpshots from French, and he'll hit them.  As he exhibits more face-up game, he'll be a player A-10 teams will fear in his last two seasons.

(I wasn't following college basketball during Anthony Bonner's first two seasons; did he have mid-range components to his game as an underclassman?  What I saw of him as an upperclassman was how dangerous he was because of an ability to play both with his back to the basket and facing up.  I hope French is on a similar trajectory [this presumes Bonner wasn't quite so adept facing up earlier in his career; if I'm wrong, please correct me].)

Lordy, Lordy.  It is an exhibition game.  Who starts, who cares.  Most of the guys will get plenty of minutes.  Perhaps even more than the "starters".

Regarding Bell ..... maybe he has earned the start.  Maybe Ford is just trying to boost his confidence.  Me, just happy to get the season started. 

SLU needs more solid players than just "the 5".  Here's hoping we see a bunch of solid players on the floor tonight.

Old guy likes this

30 minutes ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Oh, I don't know.  We've been reading that Thatch is one of the top three shooters on the team (along with Jimerson and Hankton), and Jacobs came in billed as a shooter.

You don't have to have all five guys able to shoot from the perimeter.  Also, I believe this year we'll see more mid-range jumpshots from French, and he'll hit them.  As he exhibits more face-up game, he'll be a player A-10 teams will fear in his last two seasons.

(I wasn't following college basketball during Anthony Bonner's first two seasons; did he have mid-range components to his game as an underclassman?  What I saw of him as an upperclassman was how dangerous he was because of an ability to play both with his back to the basket and facing up.  I hope French is on a similar trajectory [this presumes Bonner wasn't quite so adept facing up earlier in his career; if I'm wrong, please correct me].)

you are correct

1 hour ago, WVBilliken said:

Lordy, Lordy.  It is an exhibition game.  Who starts, who cares.  Most of the guys will get plenty of minutes.  Perhaps even more than the "starters".

Regarding Bell ..... maybe he has earned the start.  Maybe Ford is just trying to boost his confidence.  Me, just happy to get the season started. 

SLU needs more solid players than just "the 5".  Here's hoping we see a bunch of solid players on the floor tonight.

I’m guessing Ford won’t treat this like a scrimmage until a victory is secured. We need consistency before our first game to prep for Seton Hall 

1 hour ago, Quality Is Job 1 said:

Not one player in our lineup has shot over 30% from 3 in a D1 season, so I'm going to remain skeptical and hope to be proven wrong. We weren't a good shooting team last year with two guys shooting over 30% (TI and JB) in the starting lineup. Our best outside shooters figure to be coming off the bench at this point. Improved shooting by JG and FT would provide a huge boost and DJ - I have no idea what to expect.

11 minutes ago, ACE said:

Not one player in our lineup has shot over 30% from 3 in a D1 season, so I'm going to remain skeptical and hope to be proven wrong. We weren't a good shooting team last year with two guys shooting over 30% (TI and JB) in the starting lineup. Our best outside shooters figure to be coming off the bench at this point. Improved shooting by JG and FT would provide a huge boost and DJ - I have no idea what to expect.

I'm down with this. Show us! 

2 hours ago, Clocktoweraccords2004 said:

Anyone else more surprised Jacobs is starting?

Jacobs is starting? That's gotta be breaking news. Did NOT see that coming.

I'm more concerned about Bell's conditioning. Anyone else feel that way?