Kentucky Wesleyan game

bauman

A few bits of info heading into tomorrow's exhibition game:

KWU has two big 5s who should be at least a minimal test for JB, HF and MD.  One guy is 7'2" from England-a senior in school - has missed 2 of the past 3 seasons due to injuries and will be playing his first season (except for 7 minutes) for KWU.  ;  The other "big" is a 6'11: Soph from Russia who did not play last year.

Their backcourt looks like it will be the strength of the team, with two Seniors, both of whom started last year, including their top scorer.

KWU is a D 2 school in Owensboro, KY.  Does anyone remember the St Louis Hawk from Owensboro?  (No cheating with search engines!)

Hopefully this will give us a chance to see the full squad, and let them get any nervous jitters out of their systems.  I'm sure there will be plenty of things that need work after this game, but I am really looking forward to seeing this years' Billikens.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Coach Ford announced to the team tonight's starters:

JG, HF, FT, Jacobs & Bell.

Key stamina issue: how long can Bell play at the beginning?

Thank you for the info right on with what other posters have been saying about the starting line up and wondering how long Bell can play.

Just my opinion it seems to me Bell has been working hard on his conditioning for a while with great results and I think his stamina should be fine.

Mr. Bell, until your son becomes a 30 minute Ironman like French, and tosses opposing bigs around like rag dolls and consistently beats opposing bigs down the court, concerns about his conditioning will persist.

High level D1 basketball will ruthlessly expose any lingering stamina issues. We have seen a vaunted 4/5 star center not play much in Columbia because his dedication in the weight room was not at a level to allow his defensive abilities to markedly improve. Hopefully your son will continue on a higher level, and become a star at Saint Louis.

29 minutes ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

will they bring him out in a wheel chair????? this is utter nonsense about Bell......

Excuse me, but my guess is he will play 4-6 minutes at a stretch, at most.  This isn't big news, for people who have been observing so far and anyway, even in the past: Gordon last year got winded pretty quickly, you may recall.  Why is this stamina issue such a huge issue with some of you?  He is a talented guy that I have personally been hyping; but he is a freshman big trying to play defense in a sophisticated system with a defense-minded coaching staff, and defense takes a lot of energy.  Yes, Bell has been working hard on his conditioning -- as has everyone else.  I'm just telling you what anyone on the staff would tell you ...

Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if Bell plays more than 10 minutes at a stretch (now that's utter nonsense), but guess what?? He won't.  Anyway, with our bench and other freshmen, why should he???  I was just pointing that out because I am very curious to see how this changes going forward.

ACE likes this

10 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Mr. Bell, until your son becomes a 30 minute Ironman like French, and tosses opposing bigs around like rag dolls and consistently beats opposing bigs down the court, concerns about his conditioning will persist.

High level D1 basketball will ruthlessly expose any lingering stamina issues. We have seen a vaunted 4/5 star center not play much in Columbia because his dedication in the weight room was not at a level to allow his defensive abilities to markedly improve. Hopefully your son will continue on a higher level, and become a star at Saint Louis.

Why the Columbia reference.  I personally have no idea what you are talking about with that.   

Until you made the french comparison a requirement, i never thought of that.    Pretty high demand for a freshman saying he has to be an equal of one of maybe our  top all time 5 or better inside players to be allowed to play without critical questioning.   Seems to me if he is the best player at his position right now he should play no questions asked and then admire his improvement over the next four years.  

14 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Excuse me, but my guess is he will play 4-6 minutes at a stretch, at most.  This isn't big news, for people who have been observing so far and anyway, even in the past: Gordon last year got winded pretty quickly, you may recall.  Why is this stamina issue such a huge issue with some of you?  He is a talented guy that I have personally been hyping; but he is a freshman big trying to play defense in a sophisticated system with a defense-minded coaching staff, and defense takes a lot of energy.  Yes, Bell has been working hard on his conditioning -- as has everyone else.  I'm just telling you what anyone on the staff would tell you ...

Feel free to tell me I'm an idiot if Bell plays more than 10 minutes at a stretch (now that's utter nonsense), but guess what?? He won't.  Anyway, with our bench and other freshmen, why should he???  I was just pointing that out because I am very curious to see how this changes going forward.

you are being less than honest, no one has ever said that Bell would be playing 10 minutes at a stretch, WHAT YOU ARE IMPLYING IS THAT HE CAN'T PLAY 4 MINUTES AT A STRETCH...how about giving the man a chance before we jump all over him....why aren't you questioning everyone else's stamina??? pressing will be new for everyone on this team....by the way many are talking on this forum, Bell is nothing but a beached whale who will be flopping all over the court...

HenryB likes this

21 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

This is getting weird

2010andBeyond and CBFan like this

Why so much negativity in the comments about Bell? We will see this very night what he is or is not capable of doing against these two bigs. It will not take long to obtain clarity, why not wait and see. As far as the open Saturday practice went, I was in the third row and do not recall seeing him huffing and puffing with the exertion, not even after the two minute continuous run back and forth dribbling and defending plus shooting practice. He just did it. Ford thinks he is ready, so let's see what he can or cannot do. Go Bills!

dennis_w likes this

1 minute ago, BIG BILL FAN said:

you are being less than honest, no one has ever said that Bell would be playing 10 minutes at a stretch, WHAT YOU ARE IMPLYING IS THAT HE CAN'T PLAY 4 MINUTES AT A STRETCH...how about giving the man a chance before we jump all over him....why aren't you questioning everyone else's stamina??? pressing will be new for everyone on this team....by the way many are talking on this forum, Bell is nothing but a beached whale who will be flopping all over the court...

I'll admit I'm a little surprised to see him starting, but in Ford we must trust. From what I can glean from all the Bell observations is that he's got some moves and a big body to clog the inside. We need the latter to help French. Downside appears to be bad hands and stamina. I'd expect to see him go 5-6 minutes then sit for a breather. Coaches got to work on the hands issue. Let's see. 

26 minutes ago, DoctorB said:

Excuse me, but my guess is he will play 4-6 minutes at a stretch, at most.

This seems about normal for any center, no?  thats still 20 minutes per game, which is more than most think or hope for at this point. 

Zink and billiken_roy like this

So until bell plays like hondo he is not in shape, wow. Lets chart how many players go more than 10 minutes at a stretch. i would guess most get a break in the first half sometime. coach ford needs to be informed that bell wont last 2 minutes and get a sub in immediately. or better yet  dont play him at all as he will be gasping for air at the opening tipoff

BIG BILL FAN likes this

38 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

Hopefully you will get the opportunity to meet Mr Bell....I'm sure he will appreciate your friendly advice....let us know how that goes....

CBFan likes this

It is not getting weird at all. There are some Pollyannas on the forum who are projecting that Bell has enough strength, stamina, and positioning skills to be starting center in the A10, and hold his own for major minutes during the season.

There are some of us who question his fitness and knowledge level, and probably recognize that Ford, who is a master motivator, can use this as a tactic to maximize and reward Bell for his efforts, and also accelerate his learning by giving him as much PT as possible. Ford creates a win-win situation.

Tillman has not mastered rotation defense and positioning in Columbia, and his high ranking and obvious skill set were all for naught his freshman year. If you are a split second late on rotation, and lean in with your hands in the paint, you stack up fouls and sit.

Ford wants to make noise in the second half of the season, and make the dance again. The only path to that goal is by being a hardheaded, demanding mother. Bell is our best hope at center, and that position is our greatest weakness on the team. For having one of the three all time best PFs, and our best off guard ever, we need Bell to improve incredibly, and that begins with realistically recognizing his current weaknesses.

I don’t ***** at all during games on this forum, but I have no problem being a realist going into the season, and coming out of the season. 

18 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

It is not getting weird at all. There are some Pollyannas on the forum who are projecting that Bell has enough strength, stamina, and positioning skills to be starting center in the A10, and hold his own for major minutes during the season.

There are some of us who question his fitness and knowledge level, and probably recognize that Ford, who is a master motivator, can use this as a tactic to maximize and reward Bell for his efforts, and also accelerate his learning by giving him as much PT as possible. Ford creates a win-win situation.

Tillman has not mastered rotation defense and positioning in Columbia, and his high ranking and obvious skill set were all for naught his freshman year. If you are a split second late on rotation, and lean in with your hands in the paint, you stack up fouls and sit.

Ford wants to make noise in the second half of the season, and make the dance again. The only path to that goal is by being a hardheaded, demanding mother. Bell is our best hope at center, and that position is our greatest weakness on the team. For having one of the three all time best PFs, and our best off guard ever, we need Bell to improve incredibly, and that begins with realistically recognizing his current weaknesses.

I don’t ***** at all during games on this forum, but I have no problem being a realist going into the season, and coming out of the season. 

dude... hes NEVER played a single minute yet.... calm down

25 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

tillman played 20 mpg in both his freshman and sophomore seasons.    i doubt the average mpg for freshmen and sophomores across the country in D1 basketball is that high. 

apparently you want/expect bell to be a dominate all american center from day one playing 30+ minutes and scoring 20 and getting 12 rebounds.   guess what, he wouldnt be here if that was the case.  we all recognized he and diarra were projects.  the fact it now appears he is further along than all expected and he might average nearly 20 minutes a game as a freshman should be a time of joy and expectations of greatness that might happen down the road.   for some reason you want to throw cold water and are upset he is getting his chance sooner than any of use expected.   not the sheltiedave i thought i knew from years ago. 

again to use ian vouyoukas as a yardstick.  go back and view his career statistics.   my guess based on the fact bell is going to start the season as our center and likely hold that spot all year, bell is ahead of ian's career at this point and will likely easily exceed ian's freshmen statistics.   explain to me how being ahead of one of the best if not the best center in billiken history at his point in his career is a bad thing?