OT: NCAA Board of Governors Vote

johnbj14

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/board-governors-starts-process-enhance-name-image-and-likeness-opportunities

Today, the NCAA BOG voted on allowing players to profit off of their image and likeness. While this does not have an immediate impact, they have directed all three levels of the NCAA to modernized their by-laws by 2021 to encapsulate this new policy. 

Well if the players are going to  be  paid they should also start paying taxes including paying taxes for the value of  their full ride scholarships.  

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

This is the "principle and guideline" from the NCAA's release that will be interesting to follow as it develops:

Protect the recruiting environment and prohibit inducements to select, remain at, or transfer to a specific institution.

This is a big issue. 

1 hour ago, billiken_roy said:

Well if the players are going to  be  paid they should also start paying taxes including paying taxes for the value of  their full ride scholarships.  

They certainly will be paying taxes on any NIL dollars.  Taxes on scholarships remain to be seen.  I believe the universities do NOT want the student athletes to be considered employees of the university, by having scholarships taxed.  That would open up another can of worms.

I don't believe that scholarships should be taxed, as it would then imply that academic scholarships have to be taxed as well. Scholarship money is not classified as income under our current tax system, to the best of my knowledge. I do agree that profits on your likeness should be taxed, but taxing scholarship money would be a change that affects millions of students and also the university system as a whole. 

What bothers me about this development is i believe it is another step away from having college rosters filled with true "student athletes". It will only encourage more players who really only care about their path to professional sports and nothing about the educational side of college.

Now if the NCAA also says they with switch 100% of their police work on the educational side and make sure that college is about education monitoring entry requirements and test scores, making sure student athletes are indeed enrolled in a true academic field and passing such, and on pace to graduate, then i couldnt care less about the pay side.   You get to the point you have true student athletes on college rosters the level of character will jump and a lot of the problems will take care of themselves.

SLU_Lax likes this

My first reaction was how is this going to impact recruiting. However, I think it just might spread the top elite talent around to more schools. Take Duke or UK where they get 3 to 5 five star players every year. Only 1 or 2 of these guys will be destined for stardom and making big $$'s off their images, whereas, one or two of the others might think if I go somewhere else, I'll be the star and get the big bucks. 

I saw last night that some reporter said Zion Williamson might have hauled in $2.5mil under this deal. Don't know how this was calculated since we haven't seen any policy on how the money is to handled. However, let's say Barret thinks if I go somewhere else I won't be playing second fiddle to Zion. I'll be the big cheese and make more somewhere else than I can at Duke. 

22 minutes ago, slu72 said:

My first reaction was how is this going to impact recruiting. However, I think it just might spread the top elite talent around to more schools. Take Duke or UK where they get 3 to 5 five star players every year. Only 1 or 2 of these guys will be destined for stardom and making big $$'s off their images, whereas, one or two of the others might think if I go somewhere else, I'll be the star and get the big bucks. 

I saw last night that some reporter said Zion Williamson might have hauled in $2.5mil under this deal. Don't know how this was calculated since we haven't seen any policy on how the money is to handled. However, let's say Barret thinks if I go somewhere else I won't be playing second fiddle to Zion. I'll be the big cheese and make more somewhere else than I can at Duke. 

i disagree with your take.   take ja morant.   how many more video games would ja have sold if he was a kentucky player instead of a murray st player?   

the big blue blood schools will use this as a reason for the 5 stars to come to them because their mega exposure will lead to more image sales than going to the likes of little ole slu.    

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

i disagree with your take.   take ja morant.   how many more video games would ja have sold if he was a kentucky player instead of a murray st player?   

the big blue blood schools will use this as a reason for the 5 stars to come to them because their mega exposure will lead to more image sales than going to the likes of little ole slu.    

Totally agree with this. This will help, as if they need any assistance, big time schools. The Kansas'  of the world,  who are already arranging benefits for their players, will go to their alumni, supporters and vendors and "encourage" them to find ways to support their players. It' s really no different than giving an athlete a summer job, that doesn't require any work, and paying them some crazy amount of money. Once one school starts it, the others will follow suit.

In the tapes catching Self at KU, he told his shoe company that he had to pay a certain player to keep up with the Kentucky, Dukes and Arizona's of the world. This will be the same.

billiken_roy likes this

30 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

I was thinking more along the lines of the 5 star talent not being stacked at 10 or so P5 schools. My thinking was a kid might be inclined to go to another P5 that's no so competitive for the top $$'s. I don't think this act is going to help schools like SLU at all. Just that it might hurt the blue bloods a little by spreading the top talent around a wider field. 

Of course until we see what the final accounting rules are it's all speculation. How are booster $$ affected for one? Will shoe and game companies get to sign kids? Slu72 fan brings up an interesting point about boosters. Say a kid is told we got a booster whose promised to buy 5000 of your jerseys if you come to Ol State U. Will stunts like this go overlooked or will it be legal? 

Again, my point was not that this in any way helps SLU, just that it might spread the top talent around a bit more. I also think this is the first step in the P5's getting their own BCS type championship tourney. There will be a Major Championship Division and a Minor Champioship Division. I think we'll find ourselves in the latter group. 

37 minutes ago, billikenfan05 said:

You think EA can afford to pay royalties to over 1000 players? 

Honestly, I have no idea how any of this is going to work.

Besides the mega stars I think the Austin McBrooms of the world can really win with this. The guys who are skilled at pimping themselves out on social media will be able to make a killing.

rgbilliken likes this

12 minutes ago, dlarry said:

Honestly, I have no idea how any of this is going to work.

Besides the mega stars I think the Austin McBrooms of the world can really win with this. The guys who are skilled at pimping themselves out on social media will be able to make a killing.

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA allows all this to play out, or pay out as the case may be. 

1 hour ago, Littlebill said:

But this would give players control of their likeness - not the NCAA

This isn't the big problem with this rule.  The big problem will be that it will open up rampant cheating, basically making it legal.  Let suppose we are competing for a recruit with Mizzou.  Poach Martin tells the kid that if he signs with Mizzou, a Mizzou booster will sign him to a deal to sign autographs at the Boone County Mall.  The deal is for $10,000 an appearance for a total of five appearances.  No one shows up for the autograph sessions, but the kid still gets $50,00 put in his pocket by a booster, because he's allowed to profit now from his image and likeness (I guarantee autographs will be included).

If anyone thinks this isn't bad for our program, their kidding themselves.

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

This isn't the big problem with this rule.  The big problem will be that it will open up rampant cheating, basically making it legal.  Let suppose we are competing for a recruit with Mizzou.  Poach Martin tells the kid that if he signs with Mizzou, a Mizzou booster will sign him to a deal to sign autographs at the Boone County Mall.  The deal is for $10,000 an appearance for a total of five appearances.  No one shows up for the autograph sessions, but the kid still gets $50,00 put in his pocket by a booster, because he's allowed to profit now from his image and likeness (I guarantee autographs will be included).

UH

Did you see what I replied to? About college sports video games......

Also, if you don't think this is going to be heavily regulated, I don't know what to tell you. The NCAA thinks too highly of itself to completely cede control

3 hours ago, cgeldmacher said:

Where did the other 9950$$ go?