How will Bell do

drkelsey55

How will Bell do against this guy? Kentucky Weslyan centers.

CENTER 7'2"

NATHAN SMITH

SENIOR CANVEY ISLAND, ENGLAND

Or This guy?

CENTER 6'11"

SASHA SUKHANOV

SOPHOMORE TOMSK, RUSSIA TEAYS VALLEY CHRISTIAN

18 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

-considering they are from KY Weslyan and it is Bell's first game I don't expect a whole from any of them

It appears to be Sasha Sukhanov's first game as well.  Nathan Smith played 1 game last year - 7 minutes all zeros in the rest of his stat line.  I'm not expecting much from any of these guys either.

Meanwhile things I do consider more relevant - it appears Kentucky Wesleyan does return most of their team from last season, but they weren't very good (10-16 overall, 8-12 in conference).  It was apparently the 1st season under their currrent HC and they had 14! new players on the roster.  All 9 guys who played 150+ total minutes are back.  I'd imagine they'll be much improved over last season.  Leading returning scorer is 6'1" Adam Goetz who shot 42% from 3. They seemed to struggle with TOs last year (over 13/game).

1 hour ago, drkelsey55 said:

How will Bell do against this guy? Kentucky Weslyan centers.

CENTER 7'2"

NATHAN SMITH

SENIOR CANVEY ISLAND, ENGLAND

Or This guy?

CENTER 6'11"

SASHA SUKHANOV

SOPHOMORE TOMSK, RUSSIA TEAYS VALLEY CHRISTIAN

idk about them, but I think you gotta give bell as many minutes as he can handle.  Bell along with perkins.  those are my two X factors for the first half of the season.  

1 minute ago, Sheltiedave said:

If the games early in the season are blowouts, Bell, Hargrove, Collins and All the developing players should get max minutes, with Thatch being the leader on court.

Get all the development time possible, let them get some lumps early so they know later in the season how to do it.

I only see tomorrow and FGCU as blowouts, valpo and EWU may be a little closer. 

14 minutes ago, Sheltiedave said:

If the games early in the season are blowouts, Bell, Hargrove, Collins and All the developing players should get max minutes, with Thatch being the leader on court.

Get all the development time possible, let them get some lumps early so they know later in the season how to do it.

One of the issues we had last year with getting the young guys like Jacobs and Hankton minutes (aside from their health issues) was that we didn't really have any blowouts.  Our bruising, defensive style of play didn't lend itself to blowing out inferior opponents because of our lacking offense and slow pace.  Hopefully, we can pull away in a few games, get more seasoning for younger players and rest for the vets.

drkelsey55 and Cincybill like this

• 2 months later...

I know dennis w. is big on Bell and the future is bright.  He is doing a lot more than I expected him to. 

I just wish he'd bring his sizable will to a game ..... maybe go up first play and shatter a backboard with a thunder dunk.  Play mean.  Stop thinking.  Stop being hard on himself it seems.  He hasn't been a viable option to date and guys like Tre Mitchell, Cyril Langevine, Obi Toppin, Marcus Santos-Silva and Grant Golden will present matchup problems that will relegate him to more down time than not.  

If we get nothing more than a rim protector ala Michael Hughes, AJ Wilson and Osun Osunniyi, I'd be very happy.  The offense will come but for now, that's gravy.

Many thought jimmy bell shouldnt even get off the bench and i agree with taj that i would like  thunder dunks and shattered backboards. that said we likely have to wait until next year for that. jimmy has shown more than most freshman bigs have in my years of watching billiken basketball and the upside is huge. he will continue to improve game by game throughout the year. yes the offense we get from him will be gravy, but he does have a massive lane presence on the defensive end

4 minutes ago, dennis_w said:

Many thought jimmy bell shouldnt even get off the bench and i agree with taj that i would like  thunder dunks and shattered backboards. that said we likely have to wait until next year for that. jimmy has shown more than most freshman bigs have in my years of watching billiken basketball and the upside is huge. he will continue to improve game by game throughout the year. yes the offense we get from him will be gravy, but he does have a massive lane presence on the defensive end

Last night Coach said that Bell was playing only 7 or 8 minutes per game last season at Bella Vista.  He was the third big on the team.  Now he is playing 13 minutes per game in D1.  He has a lot to learn, but he has come a long way in a year.

dennis_w likes this

9 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Last night Coach said that Bell was playing only 7 or 8 minutes per game last season at Bella Vista.  He was the third big on the team.  Now he is playing 13 minutes per game in D1.  He has a lot to learn, but he has come a long way in a year.

wonder what became of the bigs in front of him?

13 hours ago, almaman said:

wonder what became of the bigs in front of him?

Rick Issazna Appears to be the only player who played ahead of Bell.  He is being red-shirted at OU. 

Other players on roster are these two, but they didnt play more than bell. 

Chase Courtney - final prep year

Emmanual Tshimanaga - Also appears to be in final year of prep